My bulldog always smells even after two days from bathing? Why?

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
My bulldog always has a foul odor to his Fur and skin heā€™s always licking in between his toes I was told has something to do with yeast. is there any home remedies or special diet I should give him any information I greatly appreciate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The culprit can definitely be yeast. Some people describe yeast as smelling like Fritos.

What are you currently feeding?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try switching him to a frozen raw patty from your pet food store or a dehydrated raw product like Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucys, Spot Farm etc That should help eliminate yeast. Make sure the food is grain free and not chicken, since a lot of bull dogs are allergic to chicken.

Also try giving him some probiotics, preferably a doggie probiotic like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, but if not , give him some kefir, fresh green tripe or sauerkraut from the refrigerator section of health food store.

You can also help his itching by giving him coconut oil daily and salmon oil ( eg. Grizzly brand ) daily or sardines packed in spring water once or twice daily.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Ask your vet for a chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs. Castor only takes a bath once or twice a year and only when he has problems with red feet or rashes. Chlorehexidine has always helped. We have used Douxo and one called TrizCHLOR 4. Check with your vet first as they are quite strong.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
to ease the itchies you can use chlorhexidine shampoo or wipes. but i think a food change is needed as well. it sometimes can take a few tries to get the food right for each bully. i think thats also an underestimate. one protein food. one of mine is on raw, the other on limited ingredient boar kibble.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ask your vet for a chlorhexidine shampoo for dogs. Castor only takes a bath once or twice a year and only when he has problems with red feet or rashes. Chlorehexidine has always helped. We have used Douxo and one called TrizCHLOR 4. Check with your vet first as they are quite strong.

I don't think you need to ask your vet for a chlorhexidine shampoo- just buy a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex or curaseb from amazon.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't think you need to ask your vet for a chlorhexidine shampoo- just buy a chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex or curaseb from amazon.

You are absolutely right - they are not on prescription. I just wanted to make sure I didn't suggest something that might not be appropriate in this case!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I absolutly swear by Dechra MalAcetic shampoo and wipes, -Amazon 16oz, $16-
use it on all three no problems what so ever,
And I've fought skin issues for years with the yorkie, she would scratch and bite till she made sores, using this weekly has made a huge difference.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Food, food and food. You can wash away all you want, but if the food does not agree with your bully, your bully will smell. I'll tell you a story from real life. I feed my bullies raw food and only have to wash them 2-4 times a year and even when I wash them it's not because they smell. One time I started giving one of my bullies cooked millet and buckwheat, they're supposed to be healthy. After two meals this bully started to feel dirty and oily to my hand. Still he didn't smell, but felt filthy. I stopped giving the new food and he was clean after couple of days without washing.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Food, food and food. You can wash away all you want, but if the food does not agree with your bully, your bully will smell. I'll tell you a story from real life. I feed my bullies raw food and only have to wash them 2-4 times a year and even when I wash them it's not because they smell. One time I started giving one of my bullies cooked millet and buckwheat, they're supposed to be healthy. After two meals this bully started to feel dirty and oily to my hand. Still he didn't smell, but felt filthy. I stopped giving the new food and he was clean after couple of days without washing.

Definitely food is key ! Since I've been feeding my dog grain free dehydrated raw she has stopped licking her paws almost totally. She still smells after about a month. I don't think dechra malacetic shampoo is as good as ketohex or curaseb shampoo, just my opinino, since it has boric acid and vinegar instead of chlorhexidine and ketoconazole. I use the curaseb shampoo to clean my dog's wrinkles. I don't need it to wash her body, but if she had a staph infection, I would still be able to use that instead of the dechra.

I make my own dechra wipes- I just add 2% boric acid powder ( eg. 10 g in 500ml ) and enough vinegar to make 2% acetic acid ( eg. 200mL vinegar ) and then about 290 ml hot water to make the solution. I then cut up some paper towels and put in a sealed container and pour some of that solution to saturate the paper towels.

I think you can make your own dechra shampoo too if you like. Buy a shampoo concentrate eg. this one is 50:1 dilution https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5EVZSQ/ref=psdc_2975374011_t1_B00V9VOLW2 , so mix together 10ml shampoo concentrate, 200ml vinegar, 10g boric acid powder, and 280 ml hot water to make the shampoo. I'm not sure how long these mixtures would be stable since there is no preservative- I'd probably keep in fridge for a few months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bulldog always has a foul odor to his Fur and skin heā€™s always licking in between his toes I was told has something to do with yeast. is there any home remedies or special diet I should give him any information I greatly appreciate

What are you feeding.... brand and protein? Smell is usually related to a food not agreeing with the pup or environmental allergies.... but as others have stated... it is probably the food

OP
S

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
The culprit can definitely be yeast. Some people describe yeast as smelling like Fritos.

What are you currently feeding?

Iā€™m feeding a no grain no corn chicken and rice dog food from hearing from all the post. I should definitely change the food and get some of that shampoo as well on amazon

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Iā€™m feeding a no grain no corn chicken and rice dog food from hearing from all the post. I should definitely change the food and get some of that shampoo as well on amazon

Brand?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Yes, I would immediately do a food change and you can do it gradually to avoid any tummy upset but some people do a switch cold turkey but if you do this, there might be diarrhea.

If you want to stick to kibble, some good brands are Fromm, Orijen, Acana and Zignature. This is just to name a few.

My Frenchie has a lot of environmental allergies so I eventually switched him to raw plus I give him a bath every week with a medicated shampoo and wipe his belly, pits, inner legs and paws down with Duoxo wipes every other day.

You can definitely get rid of yeast without having to use antibiotics but the key will be finding out what is causing it so you can try to avoid those triggers.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've received excellent advice from above members as always. The smell is definitely from yeast which is caused by food intolerances or allergies. You can also try rinsing his fur with equal parts of warm water and white vinegar after you shampoo and rinse. Pour the vinegar and water over him, but don't rinse it off. It helps to keep him smelling better longer in between baths. Vinegar is a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal. He will smell a little vinegary, but this will dissipate when he dries.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.