First heat cycle - need help!!

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Like many here, I decided to wait to spay until after the first heat cycle. Well, today is the day our little Gracie became a "woman"! :faint:

I've never been through this with a dog. I have been reading about what to expect but it seems so broad and varied. Please share any tips and advice you have! Leaving her in a room in the house is not an option. We need diapers, or whatever you recommend. What else do I need to pay attention to? I know not to leave her outside alone, etc. I mean pratical tips. How long does this last in EBDs? Any health concerns to be aware of? Feeding, etc?

Thank you!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like many here, I decided to wait to spay until after the first heat cycle. Well, today is the day our little Gracie became a "woman"! :faint:

I've never been through this with a dog. I have been reading about what to expect but it seems so broad and varied. Please share any tips and advice you have! Leaving her in a room in the house is not an option. We need diapers, or whatever you recommend. What else do I need to pay attention to? I know not to leave her outside alone, etc. I mean pratical tips. How long does this last in EBDs? Any health concerns to be aware of? Feeding, etc?

Thank you!!

Hang on tagging someone for you....
[MENTION=16776]Hceril[/MENTION] this one's for you.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Hello! I am no expert but have personal experience with my Bella! I bought two types of doggie diapers and would definitely recommend the Bwogue (2 for $12.49 including shipping from Amazon) the Velcro definitely stayed on much better than the ones I got from Petsmart ($29 for two)
They both come with a tail hole which didn't help at all with Bella lol. I used a panty liner in them. You just have figure out where to put it so it's in the right spot. She never could get the Bwogue ones off but she could get the petsmart ones off. (It was the Velcro just wasn't as good) although they did have cuter patterns! Lol.

I used them for between 3-4 weeks. She did go through a little phase with no appiitite (but she still does that at times)
She did really well with wearing them. I know a friend of mine said she couldn't get her lab to keep one on so just did didn't bother (ewwww!)
I'll try and to find my post and see if I can figure out how to tag you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17559]Scatney[/MENTION] The only concern is keeping her away from male dogs. This should be for at least 4 weeks. Feeding and watering should be what is your routine. Sometimes they will not feel like eating-that is normal. You have been given a diaper suggestion, which is helpful. Heat cycles normal last 3 weeks, but many years ago, I had a dog, whom I thought was through, in week 4, and she got pregnant! All will be well,sometimes in the frame of time that you would breed them, she could get whiney and restless.

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
Thanks! Iā€™m so grossed out by all of this! I know, i should be more mature but this is not what I wanted to do! I know itā€™s best for her so weā€™re doing it, at this point, weā€™re committed!

Can she have a bath? Iā€™ve heard no during heat but I imagine sheā€™ll get quite stinky! Sheā€™s already a little ripe smelling!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Thanks! Iā€™m so grossed out by all of this! I know, i should be more mature but this is not what I wanted to do! I know itā€™s best for her so weā€™re doing it, at this point, weā€™re committed!

Can she have a bath? Iā€™ve heard no during heat but I imagine sheā€™ll get quite stinky! Sheā€™s already a little ripe smelling!

My hubby and boys were grossed out too! Lol
I had not heard about no bath so..... she got a few!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.