TAIL AMPUTATION SURGERY 😣😣😣

Jlc6453

Dec 5, 2017
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My Lucy is having the tail amputation surgery December 18th. I am so nervous for her, she's 7 years old and her age scares me a little. Also, I've heard it's a very painful surgery for them. Lucy has been to numerous vets, for a whole number of issues, main issue being bladder stones and bladder infections. This last vet told me that she keeps getting recurring bladder infections because of her tail, her tail is constantly infected and travels down to her urethra causing an infection in her bladder. Has anyone else had a vet tell them a similar scenario or had issues with bladder infections? I'm curious if these bladder infections will stop once she has the Surgery?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Lucy is having the tail amputation surgery December 18th. I am so nervous for her, she's 7 years old and her age scares me a little. Also, I've heard it's a very painful surgery for them. Lucy has been to numerous vets, for a whole number of issues, main issue being bladder stones and bladder infections. This last vet told me that she keeps getting recurring bladder infections because of her tail, her tail is constantly infected and travels down to her urethra causing an infection in her bladder. Has anyone else had a vet tell them a similar scenario or had issues with bladder infections? I'm curious if these bladder infections will stop once she has the Surgery?

Please don't get me wrong but like most members in here knows Nyala my brindle has tail pocket issues. It was amputation or my mixture of essential oils I use for her tail. I clean it every 3 days. Been a year! No amputation needed!!!!! Her vet asked me for the mixture recipe. She's amazed how it works n avoided an amputation. And your vet saying the bladder infection is caused by a tail pocket??? OMG!!!!!!!! I personally would change vets immediately. Do you clean INSIDE the pocket n UNDER the tail n area? If so what do you use? Lucy is 7yrs old plus she had all sorts of issue n this last vet wants to do surgery?

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae or Thuja
8 drops of Tea Tree

Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear one at your health food store Fill a bottle about 1/2 to 3/4 n add y8ur oils. Shake bottle well before using.*Get baby wipes, surgical gloves NO latex, dip one corner of the wipe and go inside the tail. It will feel very tight but Nyala's tail is 3"deep. Repeat with all corners of wipe till the wipes is clear. You will get a lot of hair in there and its normal. Lucy might yelp a couple times which is fine as its infected n probably a bit raw in there. Just normal. Then make sure you give her a NICE TREAT!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome! I cannot speak to the bladder infections being caused by the tail infection, however, if the infection is deep and inside -- you never know. I tagged a member that recently went through a long bout with a tail infection that did turn out to be internal issue and not the pocket - she may have better insight.

My by Lambeau had to have his tail removed due to it growing back into him. An infection popped up what seemed like over night and when the did an evaluation our vet found the tail pushing back into his skin. Lambeau revered wonderfully, but he was only 10 months old at the time.

For the bladder infections... how have they been treating those and did they ever test for bladder stones?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online