Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Hi All,

Last night I was cleaning out my dogs tail pocket after giving him a bath and I noticed that we were getting a lot of dark brown/red clumps of hair from beneath his tail and he was going insane (loving the butt cleaning). After getting it all cleaned up I could see he has really red skin with some scabbing around his tail and it was bothering him all night as he would scurry from bed to couch and sit immediately in discomfort. He seems more back to normal this morning, but I wanted to check if anyone had something they'd recommend putting on his skin around the tail? We will be going to the Vet next week for a checkup just to be sure nothing is wrong with him as they've never had concern over his tail pocket as it is usually very clean.

IMG_20171018_082739.jpg

Thanks,

Matt + Boris

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can use desitin or monkey butt ointment. This is not unusual, as the seasons change so do the need for deeper cleaning of the tail pockets.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
After bath always dry thoroughly with paper towels, plucking also dead hair from there. After that I wipe there with witch hazel and let it dry. Later (may be 30 mins later) I put powder there, I use Columbia Antseptic powder. This is routine for tail,pocket without inflammation. When he has inflammation there (and what you described is inflammation) instead of powder I put Neosporin cream. And it heals in 2 days usually. So, when there is inflammation, I do it 2 a day - wipe with witch hazel, wait 30 min, apply Neosporin cream. Don’t wait with starting treatment, as it rots there readily - hot and humid. Neosporin will do the job quick.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Some good advice above, but if still having problems try:
Put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin or neosporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
Thanks everyone. I got some Neosporin and cleaned out the pocket again tonight. There was more gunk and he cried a bit as i applied the ointment. I can see the skin irritation :( He's all cleaned up now and seems to be a lot more comfortable. I'll update you as the days go by.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks everyone. I got some Neosporin and cleaned out the pocket again tonight. There was more gunk and he cried a bit as i applied the ointment. I can see the skin irritation :( He's all cleaned up now and seems to be a lot more comfortable. I'll update you as the days go by.

I just did Nyala's earlier and each time there's always tons of hair in there. I do it every 2 days with essential oils. Works great!

OP
Enjoimangos

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
We had our follow up appointment yesterday at the Vet and Boris is 100% better now :) Thanks for all the recommendations.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had our follow up appointment yesterday at the Vet and Boris is 100% better now :) Thanks for all the recommendations.

Great news!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online