Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello everyone,

I just had a question on how people treat their bullies when there tops of their nose are flaking off. Not sure if it's a common thing or not, but lately I've noticed Bella licking at the bridge of her nose on top. Quite funny actually but I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. When I remove what looks to be dead skin she seems fine and let's me but I was wondering if there was anything I can put on it to prevent it from crumbling off. She doesn't act like it bothers her but I wanted to get some opinions and thoughts. Thanks everyone!
df83cd9e1c3d1f726733623830ffb3b1.jpg
865a59a9e76e9d96ccbddcb107c26469.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just put on coconut oil or buy snout soother and put that on whenever it seems to be getting dry.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Very normal, my boxer had this issue. I would take a washcloth with warm water on it and rub off the dried skin, pat it dry and put Aquaphor on it. Or you can coconut oil/vaseline but in our case the Aquaphor worked best. I started out doing this a couple of times a week, then got down to once a week for maintenance. It is safe if you dog does lick it off or if another dog licks it off... Lol

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So it's okay to push that flaky excess skin off? I was peeling it back with my finger but I thought that might irritate her and she seemed to not mine but I just felt like I was hurting her. I applied some coconut oil just right now since I had some on hand and she seems to be enjoying it. She keeps trying to lick the top of her nose it's pretty funny! Thanks for the heads up!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So it's okay to push that flaky excess skin off? I was peeling it back with my finger but I thought that might irritate her and she seemed to not mine but I just felt like I was hurting her. I applied some coconut oil just right now since I had some on hand and she seems to be enjoying it. She keeps trying to lick the top of her nose it's pretty funny! Thanks for the heads up!

Yes it is... although I do know of some dogs that have gotten a sunburn on their nose, so just make sure it's dried skin and not a burn. It's easier to gently rub it off w/the warm washcloth then to peel it off.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I may try this later tonight! Thank you all for your help and advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I may try this later tonight! Thank you all for your help and advice!

Agreed... warm wash cloth to remove loose skin and place snout soother, coconut oil or mushers secret to moisten the skin.

This is call hyperkeritos (sp?). Is very common in bully breeds.

Mushers secret is my go to for this issue

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.