Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Hey guys we took a vacation last week went down to Florida keys and we decided to take Gunner with us. He had a great time found a dog friendly beach and took gunner ... long story short when we finished up letting him play in the ocean I washed him off with fresh water and towel dried him very well. When we got home I gave him a bath in his normal mild lavender / which hazel soap I have always used on him ... after I towel dried him I noticed around the top area of his neck his skin feels very dry and he has been scratching it .... after looking at it more and feeling it ... it's scabby on top of the fat rolls ... not down between the rolls of his neck but on the top of the fat rolls... I put some coconut oil on this area of his skin as it was red , inflamed, scabby .... now his skins feels better in the neck area but now he is shedding like CRAZY in that area .... what do I do.. I hate to wash him again as I'm afraid it will dry out his skin again but I mean he is loosing hair like crazy just in the neck area where the skin was dry, red and inflamed.....:unsure: IMG_0272.jpgIMG_0263.JPGIMG_0270.jpg

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Kinda looks like staph to me. The crusty bumps are usually before the hair comes out in the spot causing baldish patches. Usually will need antibiotics. Also if not giving probiotic it'll help to start that. Glad he got to go on vacation with you, sure he loved it!

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Ok this is the probiotic he has and is currently taking which is what his vet put him on. Any recommendations for antibiotic cream for the staph? I know staph is very hard to control as it's immune to a lot of normal antibiotics
IMG_0275.JPG

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Fusidic acid (fucidin) cream is the best antibiotic cream for staph, but it needs a prescription. You should definitely wash the area with a shampoo containing chlorhexidine. You can try nu-stock ointment or neosporin cream as well if you don't have the fucidin cream.

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
This is a coincidence I had staph infection on inside of my nose recently .... and my dr gave me mupirocin ointment to kill it... maybe I can use this on gunner? IMG_0276.JPGIMG_0277.JPG

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Walgreens has this local that containes chlorhexidine .... IMG_0278.PNG do you think this would work? Do you have suggestions for a wash containing that ingredient? Thanks for talks help just trying to get this under control before it gets way out of hand

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes, thr mupirocin is really good too, will even treat MRSA. ( methicillin resistant staph aureus ) . You can buy that chlorhexidine to wash the area,but I would dilute it down 50% to 2% chlorhexidine. It would be less drying if you had a dog shampoo with chlorhexidine to wash whole body, but that bottle will be fine for the affected area.

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Ok thank you going to pick it up now. Thanks for your help!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... looks like staph, he might also need an antibiotic to fully get rid of it.... keep the probiotics in him too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Yes, thr mupirocin is really good too, will even treat MRSA. ( methicillin resistant staph aureus ) . You can buy that chlorhexidine to wash the area,but I would dilute it down 50% to 2% chlorhexidine. It would be less drying if you had a dog shampoo with chlorhexidine to wash whole body, but that bottle will be fine for the affected area.

What kind of regimen would you do? How often do I use the astiseptic wash per day/week should I use the coconut oil afterwards to help with dry skin? And when / how often should I apply that antibiotic cream?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would apply the mupirocin twice a day and wash with chlorhexidine once daily. If skin is not getting better you will probably need oral antibiotics.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say not to apply coconut oil since it will dilute the mupirocin. If you have menuka honey you could use that instead of mupirocin since it is a very good antiseptic.

OP
Gunners Mom

Gunners Mom

Oct 19, 2016
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I don't have any menuka honey. But I can pick up some tomorrow in mean time I'll just use the ointment I have. I just hate to use all I have since it is good ointment. If it don't get better I will probably take him to vet Monday.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.