Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie will be 12 weeks old tomorrow and has been home for a week now. I have been wiping his folds and face once a day with witch hazel on a cotton pad. I'm trying to get him used to a daily face wiping which is a struggle with him, he gets so mad. His face is all white so I want to try to keep it that way. I also have Sogeval Douxo Chlorhexidine 3-Percent PS Pads as well as Dechra Miconahex +Triz Wipes that I keep on hand. When Jax was younger he started getting tear stains and I switched from tap water to bottled drinking water and that took care of the problem so Louie gets the bottled water as well. There are no issues now but I would like to do whatever necessary to keep his face clean.

Is witch hazel enough to keep his folds clean? Should I use the medicated wipes at all or save those for if/when his folds get irritated? Any other products I should use? Anything else I should be doing for his face?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I think if the witch hazel is working id stick with it and save the stronger stuff for later. Also, if his eyes are watery anyway, a few (and now me at times) put desitin , or buttpaste on the area so as to keep the water from always keeping it wet. (I'm thinking eye folds) Also if you can just do quick wipes during the day to keep dry it wont have a chance to sour. and yeast. Lots more stuff coming I'm sure :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use witch hazel a few days a week and just a dry towel after meals... medicated pads should be used when needed no need for daily use unless an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
All good responses so far. If Louie starts rubbing his face against the ground or his wrinkles look red then you need to go more medicated route. As I've posted before I do 3 separate wipes with 3 separate round cosmetic pads to each wrinkle. First pad is wet with water and a dab of medicated antibacterial and antifungal shampoo (eg. Curaseb or Malaseb), second pad is wet with just water, third pad is a dry pad to dry it out. I haven't used the desitin ointment in a long time, but if it got really red I'd use it as the last step.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well said, keep hard stuff for the day you need it. No point getting a puppy use to strong stuff for no reason. Even unscented babywipe throught out the day. After each meal I use them baby wipes. Nyala had one rash in 18 months n I used my oil mixture. Her tail pocket same thing. Baby wipes every 2days, oil mix once a week. Summer is a bit harder as the get dirty faster playing outside more often.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say if you use regular baby wipes to dry after with a paper towel, if you use medicated wipes don't dry after.

Well said, keep hard stuff for the day you need it. No point getting a puppy use to strong stuff for no reason. Even unscented babywipe throught out the day. After each meal I use them baby wipes. Nyala had one rash in 18 months n I used my oil mixture. Her tail pocket same thing. Baby wipes every 2days, oil mix once a week. Summer is a bit harder as the get dirty faster playing outside more often.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.