Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Colloidal Silver on their dogs? I have been using an ear cleaner called Thrive on Dozers ears, but he's still having issues due to his allergies. I have heard that Colloidal Silver is a Natural Antibiotic. I know that it's good for use on cuts, scrapes, and other skin issues, and can also be used on people, but is it good for cleaning the ears? Also how do you use it, do you just clean the outer ears, or do you put it down the ear canal?, I also heard that you can give Collodial Silver orally, is this true?, and is it good for them? What are the benefits of taking it? Any information that you can share would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Ha! I am away from home and easy access computer but will love to hear anyone's response. I make my own , and had put my equipment out on shelf so I don't forget to make up a batch when I get home. It's amazing stuff in my opinion..Will love to here others

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't know much about colloidal silver, but there was this big discussion here some years ago and it is now illegal to sell colloidal silver as dietary supplement etc within the EU. Not sure what North Amercian health authorities say, but I would check before using it.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't know much about colloidal silver, but there was this big discussion here some years ago and it is now illegal to sell colloidal silver as dietary supplement etc within the EU. Not sure what North Amercian health authorities say, but I would check before using it.

Is it illegal for oral use only, or also for using it topically on skin, cuts, scrapes and ears as well? It is sold here in Canada in health food stores, I bought my bottle at Global Pet Foods.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Is it illegal for oral use only, or also for using it topically on skin, cuts, scrapes and ears as well? It is sold here in Canada in health food stores, I bought my bottle at Global Pet Foods.

As far as I understand, it mustn't be sold for oral use, as dietary supplements.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Colloidal Silver on their dogs? I have been using an ear cleaner called Thrive on Dozers ears, but he's still having issues due to his allergies. I have heard that Colloidal Silver is a Natural Antibiotic. I know that it's good for use on cuts, scrapes, and other skin issues, and can also be used on people, but is it good for cleaning the ears? Also how do you use it, do you just clean the outer ears, or do you put it down the ear canal?, I also heard that you can give Collodial Silver orally, is this true?, and is it good for them? What are the benefits of taking it? Any information that you can share would be really appreciated. Thanks guys.

I dont see the harm if its used properly. Like anything you use, do your homework. Ive attached 2 links below and a comment from a dog magazine.....BUT only in small doses!!!!! High doses can affect kidneys n seizures.... homework my dear!!!

Five Immune-Boosting Uses of Colloidal Silver - Dogs Naturally Magazine

https://draxe.com/colloidal-silver-benefits/

Conclusion on Colloidal Silver

People are using Colloidal Silver on themselves and their dogs. There seems to be strong beliefs regarding its numerous potential benefits. While we haven’t tried Silver in our own household, we think it’s possible that it can help with canine health. As with any drug, be sure to properly dose it for your dog. The best way to do so is by following a good veterinarian’s recommendation.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I dont see the harm if its used properly. Like anything you use, do your homework. Ive attached 2 links below and a comment from a dog magazine.....BUT only in small doses!!!!! High doses can affect kidneys n seizures.... homework my dear!!!

Five Immune-Boosting Uses of Colloidal Silver - Dogs Naturally Magazine

https://draxe.com/colloidal-silver-benefits/

Conclusion on Colloidal Silver

People are using Colloidal Silver on themselves and their dogs. There seems to be strong beliefs regarding its numerous potential benefits. While we haven’t tried Silver in our own household, we think it’s possible that it can help with canine health. As with any drug, be sure to properly dose it for your dog. The best way to do so is by following a good veterinarian’s recommendation.

Thanks Guys, and thank you Helene for the links to the articles, both great articles. I get the Dogs Naturally Magazine e-mails on a regular basis. They have many good articles and great information on Natural and Alternative treatments for dogs. I will use the Collodial Silver topically and will try it in his ears, but will wait until I ask my vet first regarding using it orally. I already give them yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and Kelp, so it might be too much to add something else. Thanks for the help guys.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Guys, and thank you Helene for the links to the articles, both great articles. I get the Dogs Naturally Magazine e-mails on a regular basis. They have many good articles and great information on Natural and Alternative treatments for dogs. I will use the Collodial Silver topically and will try it in his ears, but will wait until I ask my vet first regarding using it orally. I already give them yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and Kelp, so it might be too much to add something else. Thanks for the help guys.

Have you tried this recipe of essential oils below? I use it for Nyala's tail pocket and it also keeps her ears clean. She tends to get this brown film in her ears. She never scratches just brown guk. Same mix for ears n tail and all stays very clean. I swear by it as it really work great. Just a thought.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Colloidal silver is not considered by the FDA to be safe or effective when taken internally, and there are more efficacious and safer products for every one of its uses. I think it can be safely used externally though and a lot of dressings contain silver as an antibacterial, and it is probably as least as good as or maybe even better than products like Vetericyn which contains hypochlorus, Banix spray containing hydronium, or NuStock (sulfur, pine oil and mineral oil ). You can buy EquiSilver Equine Wound Silver Spray which is chelated silver spray and is supposed to be excellent.

Manuka honey is supposed to be excellent, and for humans there is a medical Manuka honey product called MediHoney that is applied to the worst ulcers.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nothing is wrong with the product if used properly and not abused. That's any product and anything you do in life. The big guns like FDA, when it comes to natural products, it's not a priority for them but yet, it's ok to accept all theses pharmaceutical crap that has more side effects and even kill you than the product itself. Just listening to them commercial is an eye opener. "New Asthma product....side effects, tons plus can kill you cause it may stop your breathing? ??" Like hellllooooooo ....... Aspartame, cigarette 2 biggest poisoning products on the market that's proven to kill you...but heh, government makes tons of taxes on them products and people are addicted to it. Frankincense oil has a lot of proven studies that it shrinks tumors and some disappeared. Like lets not tell everyone or "we" wont make any money on it. So FDA and/or any government decision on meds, take it and leave some. Btw that's "my" opinion. What im trying to say is, be smart, read, just read as much as you can on any natural products and especially medication! Very often both "cannot" be mixed or taken within same the couple hours. Listen to your vet or doctor and ask questions! If you don't understand make them repeat till you do. This site is great for asking questions like we all do as there is always someone that has tried a product or the issue has had happened to their fur babies or themselves. But always be the judge of yourself!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I was getting pink eye (work with a group of adults that seem to pass it around often ) and I got it twice and struggled to get rid of it the second time... Used the colloidal silver the third time and wam bam gone in 3 days.. I also get cold sores and spray on them and gone quicker than with the other meds. Also used on shih tzues itchy ear... gone that night but kept up for a few days. Got a sore throat, sprayed it 3x for 2 days and gone. This last sore throat,, didn't spray, and still having issues 3 weeks later with cough etc.. I'm a believer :) I just forgot about it for a bit..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yeah, I agree it's a great product when used externally. I'm not sure how it compares to manuka honey for throat infections or diluted organic apple cider vinegar with witch hazel for ear infections. It would be interesting to do a study comparing chelated or colloidal silver to apple cider vinegar, manuka honey, Banix spray, Vetricyn spray, Well-Horse healing remedy,NuStock,coconut oil.

I was getting pink eye (work with a group of adults that seem to pass it around often ) and I got it twice and struggled to get rid of it the second time... Used the colloidal silver the third time and wam bam gone in 3 days.. I also get cold sores and spray on them and gone quicker than with the other meds. Also used on shih tzues itchy ear... gone that night but kept up for a few days. Got a sore throat, sprayed it 3x for 2 days and gone. This last sore throat,, didn't spray, and still having issues 3 weeks later with cough etc.. I'm a believer :) I just forgot about it for a bit..

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Awwwwwwww yes! Manuka honey user :) I don't know what happened this last sick... I have all the above and just was lazy and it took it's toll!!! I also use oregano oil and it knocks the crap out of viruses... Going to check it's use for dogs
Yeah, I agree it's a great product when used externally. I'm not sure how it compares to manuka honey for throat infections or diluted organic apple cider vinegar with witch hazel for ear infections. It would be interesting to do a study comparing chelated or colloidal silver to apple cider vinegar, manuka honey, Banix spray, Vetricyn spray, Well-Horse healing remedy,NuStock,coconut oil.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.