Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
I have 2 bullies with horrible allergies to everything. I have tried with no luck on numerous shampoos. My poor fur babies seem to itch worse after bathing them in all the shampoos I have tried. So, now I'm needing y'alls feedback for the best that you have tried. These are the recent shampoos I have tried.. all the Duoxo shampoo formulas, Veterinary formula Antifungal shampoo, Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo, the GNC medicated shampoo and Conditioner and lastly Head and Shoulders. I talked to my vet and she told me that a shampoo with Ketoconazole is good for a Bully with allergies?! Thanks Brittany

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Your vet is correct, and whenever my bullies (especially our Bella) would have a massive breakout I would get the shampoo from the vets office. I would advise trying to figure out what is causing the allergies in the first place, what are you feeding them? Most OTC shampoos for dogs contain oatmeal, and bulldogs thrive on grain-free everything... food, treats and shampoos. Many on here do NOT bathe their bulldogs very often, I'm allergic to wet dog hair so I take my guys to the groomer for baths about every 7 to 8 weeks. Sometimes the constant bathing is what's causing the issues in the first place. Can you post a pic of their skin? Do they have any flaking or red itchy areas?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Regardless of the shampoo, it's very important to rinse rinse rinse. Make absolutely sure there is ZERO shampoo residue left.
We use Dawn dish detergent because it cuts dirt and oil efficiently of the coat and leaves no residue whatsoever.
Have you considered adding coconut oil to their diet?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Also, a 'rinse' with the vinegar and water dilution helps with getting skin back to ph......... right ?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much. I did allergy testing on Stella and Dozer and Stella is allergic to Dust and Storage mites. Dozer is allergic to any type of potatoes. I feed Dozer Fromm Family Lamb and Lentils and Stella Surf and Turf recipes. I talked to a nutritionist and tried home cooking cooking for Stella, but she was loosing weight so I put her back on the dry food. She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest and on top of his head. They almost look like small pimples all over the belly and under their arms. It's always after a bath it gets bad. I give them a bath weekly. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest...
To me, this sounds like contact dermatitis. Again, make sure that they are both rinsed very well after bathing. Use baby wipes to wipe down any area that might come into contact with weeds, grass, pine straw, etc.
Many dogs do not get thoroughly rinsed because the soap settles on the belly and chest where it's hard to feel/rinse. The head area is especially bad because no bully likes water on their head and face...so they resist the rinse. The hair on the head is also soft, fine, and thick...and holds onto the soap.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I'm lucky enough to have a holistic pet store and the lady there turned me onto DERMagic. It comes in both liquid and bar..I actually prefer the bar. It suds extremely well and lasts for a very long time. My Sadie has environmental and food allergies and this soap has been a god send. Also, as suggested-rinse with white vinegar and water. The lady at the store also said to let her air dry so the vinegar stays on the coat. Of course, I do dry her face and tail areas but other than that she air dries.

you can get the DerMagic on Amazon.

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
Here's a pic of the box..View attachment 105216 IMG_0270.JPG

Last edited:
OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank y'all so much for the help. I will try the shampoos suggested and see if one of those work for Stella and Dozer. Also, I will try the white vinegar rinse at the end of bathing. After 7 years you figure I would have the allergies under control and then something new pops up. There is nothing better than bully love though!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much. I did allergy testing on Stella and Dozer and Stella is allergic to Dust and Storage mites. Dozer is allergic to any type of potatoes. I feed Dozer Fromm Family Lamb and Lentils and Stella Surf and Turf recipes. I talked to a nutritionist and tried home cooking cooking for Stella, but she was loosing weight so I put her back on the dry food. She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest and on top of his head. They almost look like small pimples all over the belly and under their arms. It's always after a bath it gets bad. I give them a bath weekly. Thanks again.

If Stella is allergic to storage/dust mites and you are feeding kibble.. that can be her issue. Are you storging the kibble in the freezer? if not, break it into freezer zip-lock bags and store for her... that stops the mites for forming in the dry food, which is where they live/thrive. Even if you have them in a air tight bin... mites will form in the kibble... freezer is best

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
re: storage mite allergy - Don't forget to put the dry dog food into ziplock bags and store in freezer, or store in an airtight container you wash between fillings.

You may want to try a dehydrated or freeze dried raw dog food such as Sojos, Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy's. My dog chews her paws too and I'm almost at the point of trying a raw food after trying everything else.

Make sure you give your dogs an antihistamine daily such as cetirizine ( 0.5 mg/pound daily ) . You can also rotate to other antihistamines such as diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine etc.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

7yrs of allergies? Ouch.... is the 7yrs in the same house? If it's feasible, go raw or home cooking. There is no way I would last 7 yrs of what you're all going through. Why would she lose weight on home cooking? Dogs on raw or HC are in their best shapes. Have you tried Honest Kitchen? Is Fromm the only food they eat/ate for 7yrs? What detergents you use on their beddings, floors, fertilizers outside etc etc. Just curious as we can break down some issues.

OP
Bhaverstock1

Bhaverstock1

Jun 24, 2016
Murray, KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer is good since we changed his diet to Fromm Lamb and Lentils. Stella on the other hand is our allergy queen. She has been on different types of food. The Nutritionist I spoke with gave me a meal plan for her and she did lose to much weight on the home cooking diet. I knew she was allergic to storage mites, but I would rather control the allergies than her to lose weight. I give her Apoquel daily with fish oil and coconut oil. I haven't tried the Honest Kitchen. Are there good results with that food? The detergents I use on the bedding, toys, etc is just hypoallergenic no scents or dyes. Thanks.

Most Reactions