Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need a shampoo for my bullies!!

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella Artois and Dozer Jordan
    Likes (Received)

Default Help! Need a shampoo for my bullies!!

I have 2 bullies with horrible allergies to everything. I have tried with no luck on numerous shampoos. My poor fur babies seem to itch worse after bathing them in all the shampoos I have tried. So, now I'm needing y'alls feedback for the best that you have tried. These are the recent shampoos I have tried.. all the Duoxo shampoo formulas, Veterinary formula Antifungal shampoo, Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo, the GNC medicated shampoo and Conditioner and lastly Head and Shoulders. I talked to my vet and she told me that a shampoo with Ketoconazole is good for a Bully with allergies?! Thanks Brittany

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help! Need a shampoo for my bullies!!

Your vet is correct, and whenever my bullies (especially our Bella) would have a massive breakout I would get the shampoo from the vets office. I would advise trying to figure out what is causing the allergies in the first place, what are you feeding them? Most OTC shampoos for dogs contain oatmeal, and bulldogs thrive on grain-free everything... food, treats and shampoos. Many on here do NOT bathe their bulldogs very often, I'm allergic to wet dog hair so I take my guys to the groomer for baths about every 7 to 8 weeks. Sometimes the constant bathing is what's causing the issues in the first place. Can you post a pic of their skin? Do they have any flaking or red itchy areas?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Regardless of the shampoo, it's very important to rinse rinse rinse. Make absolutely sure there is ZERO shampoo residue left.
    We use Dawn dish detergent because it cuts dirt and oil efficiently of the coat and leaves no residue whatsoever.
    Have you considered adding coconut oil to their diet?

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Also, a 'rinse' with the vinegar and water dilution helps with getting skin back to ph......... right ?

5. Likes Christie H liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

https://www.amazon.com/Vets-Best-Hyp.../dp/B0002I9O70

I use this. It has limited ingredients and no oatmeal.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

I use Ketohex https://www.amazon.com/Vet-One-31398...ampoo+for+dogs or Chlorhexidine https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1Q4C82C3I6T5P on Jax who has really bad environmental allergies. I actually have to give him a bath every weekend and his skin does not dry out at all.

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much. I did allergy testing on Stella and Dozer and Stella is allergic to Dust and Storage mites. Dozer is allergic to any type of potatoes. I feed Dozer Fromm Family Lamb and Lentils and Stella Surf and Turf recipes. I talked to a nutritionist and tried home cooking cooking for Stella, but she was loosing weight so I put her back on the dry food. She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest and on top of his head. They almost look like small pimples all over the belly and under their arms. It's always after a bath it gets bad. I give them a bath weekly. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaverstock1 View Post
    She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest...
    To me, this sounds like contact dermatitis. Again, make sure that they are both rinsed very well after bathing. Use baby wipes to wipe down any area that might come into contact with weeds, grass, pine straw, etc.
    Many dogs do not get thoroughly rinsed because the soap settles on the belly and chest where it's hard to feel/rinse. The head area is especially bad because no bully likes water on their head and face...so they resist the rinse. The hair on the head is also soft, fine, and thick...and holds onto the soap.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

10. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty Florida girls's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stacey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie Kae, Lady
    Likes (Received)

I'm lucky enough to have a holistic pet store and the lady there turned me onto DERMagic. It comes in both liquid and bar..I actually prefer the bar. It suds extremely well and lasts for a very long time. My Sadie has environmental and food allergies and this soap has been a god send. Also, as suggested-rinse with white vinegar and water. The lady at the store also said to let her air dry so the vinegar stays on the coat. Of course, I do dry her face and tail areas but other than that she air dries.

you can get the DerMagic on Amazon.
    Sleep sitting

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bully Bootie Duty Florida girls's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stacey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie Kae, Lady
    Likes (Received)

Here's a pic of the box..Attachment 105216-img_0270-jpg
    Last edited by Florida girls; 04-10-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Adding pic
    Sleep sitting

Real Name
    Brittany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank y'all so much for the help. I will try the shampoos suggested and see if one of those work for Stella and Dozer. Also, I will try the white vinegar rinse at the end of bathing. After 7 years you figure I would have the allergies under control and then something new pops up. There is nothing better than bully love though!!!

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaverstock1 View Post
    Thank you so much. I did allergy testing on Stella and Dozer and Stella is allergic to Dust and Storage mites. Dozer is allergic to any type of potatoes. I feed Dozer Fromm Family Lamb and Lentils and Stella Surf and Turf recipes. I talked to a nutritionist and tried home cooking cooking for Stella, but she was loosing weight so I put her back on the dry food. She licks her paws constantly and most of her breakouts are on her belly and red patches on her chest. Dozer gets it on his belly, chest and on top of his head. They almost look like small pimples all over the belly and under their arms. It's always after a bath it gets bad. I give them a bath weekly. Thanks again.

If Stella is allergic to storage/dust mites and you are feeding kibble.. that can be her issue. Are you storging the kibble in the freezer? if not, break it into freezer zip-lock bags and store for her... that stops the mites for forming in the dry food, which is where they live/thrive. Even if you have them in a air tight bin... mites will form in the kibble... freezer is best
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

17. Likes Florida girls, Cbrugs, ddnene liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads