Douxo Pads vs. Malasetic wipes for cleaning

lbgoldy

Jan 9, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Hi there! We recently adopted a 3.5 year old bulldog, Lenny! His past owners used the Douxo pads for his wrinkle, tail pocket and to clean between his paws. We have been continuing with these but really don't feel like they work all that great--plus we don't love the small size of them. With our past bulldogs we always used the Malasetic wipes and they seemed to work better for us.
It seems as if they have different ingredients in them. Has anyone used both and/or have any opinions about using one over the other?
Lenny seems to be constantly licking his front paws (more so in the evening, we think)--are these products also helpful with the licking or really mainly for the cleaning and maintenance?
Thanks!! :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Goldy, We use the Malecetic for Jewel and Bentley's nose rope, tail pocket (Bentley...Jewel's is gone), and ears. The Duoxo pads ingredients is chlorohexedrine which is good for the paws. I stopped buying the Duoxo pads and as [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] told me that he buys a gallon of Chlorohexedrine and dilutes 50-50 to use.

Now one thing with the Malecetic is that we use it when there is a break out of yeast and then we use witch hazel for routine maintenance.

Other forum members will chime-in as well, but that is my two-cents worth.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Roger has you covered!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2017
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Pierre
I don't consider myself an expert on all things bulldogs but I do have one bulldog that's been a blessing in my life for five years now and I've actively seeked out a lot of information on bulldogs from day one. Just discolsing this so you can judge validity of my tips and/or opinions.

I've purchased and used Duoxo pads & Malecetic wipes multiple times (as well as a few other off brand wipes, the kind you find in doggy boutiques). My vet once told me most of these wipes all have the same active ingredients but personally I prefer the Malectic wipes to all other wipes because it does appear to work just the slightest bit better than all the other wipes. However I no longer buy any wipes at all because I find that the malecetic liquid (usually sold as ear cleaner) lasts me longer and works far better than the wipes. I poor a bit on a baby wipe, cotton ball, cotton pad, or triangle makeup sponge (you can get these in bulk at Ulta for pretty cheap & they're the perfect shape for those wrinkles).

As for paw licking, using any of the products above may discourage your pup from licking simply due to the nasty taste but in my experience bulldogs can be a bit stuburn and aren't discouraged easily so I wouldn't bet too highly on this working. I've heard other owners and vets alike say that the licking is either a learned boredom habit (like biting your nails) or is due to allergies. My bulldog only licks his paws when it's a dry day during pollen season. If it's allergy related I'd try soothing his skin with a paw moisturizer or going to your vet for any light allergy remedies. If you want to go the 'sour taste-stop licking' route and you try the wipes on your little guys feet but he keeps licking, try out one of those no-chew furniture sprays made for puppies. I used PetCo's "Bitter Break Chew Deterrent for dogs" on the legs of all our wooden furniture when my bully was a trouble making teathing puppy and it worked for us. In fact the only reason I know the exact spray we used is because we only had to spray it once or twice on each furniture leg for our dog to stop chewing on them so the bottle is still full sitting in our pet pantry.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't find I need Malacetic or Duoxo wipes anymore, because they don't stop my allergic dog from licking her paws, which is what I bought them for. If you buy the duoxo pads cut them in half to save money.They can be used everywhere- nose ropes, tail pocket, paws. I also made my own Malacetic wipes one time by mixing up 2% Boric Acid powder and 2% Acetic Acid Solution and pouring it in the old Malacetic wipes container and put in some cut up paper towels in it as well and shaking. But I stopped using all that as I will specify below:

I mostly use Curaseb = Malaseb = Ketohex shampoo.
NOSE ROPES
One of my dogs has nope ropes which get lots of eye drainage, so need constant cleaning. I wash that dog with a 3 step process with round cosmetic pads every couple of days. First pad is wet with water and a bit of shampoo, second pad is just wet, and third pad is dry.
The second dog has normal nose ropes so I just clean them with water and then dry them, with the cosmetic pads.
EARS
Once a week or even monthly cleaning by flooding them with Zymox ear drops and massaging in. In between I clean with a round cosmetic pad wet with a mixture I make of 2 oz witch hazel with 5 drops oil of cloves and 5 drops tea tree oil. A lot of other members use weekly spray into ear of 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 witch hazel.
TAIL POCKET
My dogs don't have tail pockets, but I clean up after a poo with a wet wipe. If your dog has a tail pocket you have to make sure it's clean and dry, so you can clean with a wet wipe with some witch hazel on it, or spray in a mixture of water with a few drops of curaseb or malaseb or ketohex shampoo. Then dry out thoroughly with a paper towel. Put on desitin ointment or antibiotic ointment at the end if it's not looking good.
PAWS
This is a problem area for one of my dogs who is obsessed with paw licking, with no good solution, the other dog has no problem. I usually soak them in a bath of betadine, but that doesn't help much. Duoxo pads and malacetic wipes didn't help much either. Selsun blue shampoo for yeast made them worse. Putting on a bitter solution with chlorhexidine didn't work. Next step will be to try raw dehydrated dog food.
COAT
I take my dog to a groomer, but some people wash their dogs with a therapeutic shampoo such as the Curaseb, or a hypoallergenic shampoo such as Koda Omni Clean Natural Cleaning Shampoo. I keep on hand a first aid spray for injuries and hot spots- Benix, but you could also use Vetericyn, Equisilver sprays which can also be sprayed into the ear too if you want.
EYES
I keep on hand Vetericyn eye drop gel for dry eyes and in case of eye infection. For dry eyes only Optixcare Eye lubricant with hyaluronic acid is very good.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online