Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
As a matter of fact I just told my hubby today if this next kibble switch doesn't work, we are going to branch out and maybe start with a homemade first. Really scared about that too, but my poor Franklin needs relief in any way possible! I am sure I will turn to this amazin site for food preparation help as well if the Fromm Lamb and Lentil I just ordered doesn't go over as I hope. Step by step, we will get there! Are you familiar by any chance with RAW, would the NuVet Supplement cover all required nutrients he'd be missing if I started homemade or raw?

I have read about it, but do not do Raw. I have little ones in the house and also,…as soon as I saw at the chicken heads going through the grinder I got a little turned off, lol…but it is not out of the question for us for the future. Right now Bass' allergies are "at bay" and he does well on Pork and Peas (Fromm) so I am leaving it alone until there is a problem. As far as nutrients, that is a GREAT question and a concern I also had when contemplating Raw…I give NuVet daily, but when preparing your own food, as far as how to balance it, a good person to ask is [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] she offers some great suggestions and is very knowledgable. Another option you can try if you are too overwhelmed by making all your own Raw (organs, bones, veggies etc..) is a food called Honest Kitchen. If you type it into the search, you can read about the folks here that are using it and what their feedback is. I've read very positive things about it!!

Here is a link for you to get started on your research…there are many threads, it can be overwhelming, but I found if you highlight the points that stick out to you, copy/paste them on a separate doc., it makes taking in the knowledge easier….that way you can always revert back to the notes YOU highlighted that caught your interest instead of navigating the many threads on here again… Good luck!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/raw-feeding-for-english-bulldogs/

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
What a handsome boy. Is it that they smell? I do not see amy brown stains in the picture?

I have this issue with my Frenchie -- his folds smell sour . I clean with witch hazel every other day and just wipe with warm wash cloth.

If it is stain and itch it may be something in the food or environment.

What brand/protein are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got a picture! Lol! Since I originally discovered it I have been cleaning it every couple hours, so it looks a ton better, but still a little irritated. I am picking up some witch hazel from the store today. 20170128_093521.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
As a matter of fact I just told my hubby today if this next kibble switch doesn't work, we are going to branch out and maybe start with a homemade first. Really scared about that too, but my poor Franklin needs relief in any way possible! I am sure I will turn to this amazin site for food preparation help as well if the Fromm Lamb and Lentil I just ordered doesn't go over as I hope. Step by step, we will get there! Are you familiar by any chance with RAW, would the NuVet Supplement cover all required nutrients he'd be missing if I started homemade or raw?

Castor eats raw lamb; we buy frozen raw dog food which is supposed to cover all nutrient needs. His skin has improved a lot since we turned to raw. We clean his face folds once a week or so with chlorehexidine (5% I think, sometimes I dilute it a bit with water).

Castor does well on lamb - we haven't tested him for allergies but from experience we are pretty certain that he is more itchy and yeasty when he eats beef and potato, for instance. So lamb it is, and Castor doesn't complain!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I finally got a picture! Lol! Since I originally discovered it I have been cleaning it every couple hours, so it looks a ton better, but still a little irritated. I am picking up some witch hazel from the store today.View attachment 103660

Forgot - we use diaper rash cream when the skin folds look 'raw' - I think the brand in the US people use is Desitin?

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
I have read about it, but do not do Raw. I have little ones in the house and also,…as soon as I saw at the chicken heads going through the grinder I got a little turned off, lol…but it is not out of the question for us for the future. Right now Bass' allergies are "at bay" and he does well on Pork and Peas (Fromm) so I am leaving it alone until there is a problem. As far as nutrients, that is a GREAT question and a concern I also had when contemplating Raw…I give NuVet daily, but when preparing your own food, as far as how to balance it, a good person to ask is [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] she offers some great suggestions and is very knowledgable. Another option you can try if you are too overwhelmed by making all your own Raw (organs, bones, veggies etc..) is a food called Honest Kitchen. If you type it into the search, you can read about the folks here that are using it and what their feedback is. I've read very positive things about it!!

Here is a link for you to get started on your research…there are many threads, it can be overwhelming, but I found if you highlight the points that stick out to you, copy/paste them on a separate doc., it makes taking in the knowledge easier….that way you can always revert back to the notes YOU highlighted that caught your interest instead of navigating the many threads on here again… Good luck!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/raw-feeding-for-english-bulldogs/

The Honest Kitchen sounds like a definite possibly! Just by adding yogurt and ACV and cleaning everY couple hours, I see a ton of improvement, and after changing his food and adding the new probiotic coming in the mail today, I THINK we are headed to healing!!!! Whew!!!! Appreciate it!!!!!!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
The Honest Kitchen sounds like a definite possibly! Just by adding yogurt and ACV and cleaning everY couple hours, I see a ton of improvement, and after changing his food and adding the new probiotic coming in the mail today, I THINK we are headed to healing!!!! Whew!!!! Appreciate it!!!!!!
You don't have to clean multiple times a day w/an astringent, that will also cause redness and irritation…you can wipe w/a dry, soft cloth multiple times daily (excess water after drinking, any gunky build-up) you should only be applying a topical product as needed (every other day, a few times a week). I use witch hazel daily on Bass' tear-stains because they are deep and he has constant eye watering due to environment and when he gets excited. It helps to keep the area dry. I have not had to Desitin his nose rope in months, I attribute that to the Pork and Peas.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I home cook for Nyala but recently ive been giving her honest kitchen grain free. I add my own meat. She loves it! So since im getting busier and dont want to feed her kibbles, from what I see, honest kitchen it will be. She will still get her turkey n lamb as she loves it and she has no issues with those 2 protein. I started her on one new protein per month. Fish is a no no for her, beef.....we'll find out in a few weeks. Once in a while I give her raw but rarely. I give her organs and she does great. So basically, start one protein at a time for one month. Takes about one month to know if the dog will have allergies. One per month will give you a great idea what works n what doesn't in 6 months. Like that after 6 months you'll know for sure what to stay away from. Trust me 6 months goes fast! All about maintenance!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I was using the honest kitchen Marvel, but am going to order I think the "kindly" next... Which do you prefer? :)
I home cook for Nyala but recently ive been giving her honest kitchen grain free. I add my own meat. She loves it! So since im getting busier and dont want to feed her kibbles, from what I see, honest kitchen it will be. She will still get her turkey n lamb as she loves it and she has no issues with those 2 protein. I started her on one new protein per month. Fish is a no no for her, beef.....we'll find out in a few weeks. Once in a while I give her raw but rarely. I give her organs and she does great. So basically, start one protein at a time for one month. Takes about one month to know if the dog will have allergies. One per month will give you a great idea what works n what doesn't in 6 months. Like that after 6 months you'll know for sure what to stay away from. Trust me 6 months goes fast! All about maintenance!

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
You don't have to clean multiple times a day w/an astringent, that will also cause redness and irritation…you can wipe w/a dry, soft cloth multiple times daily (excess water after drinking, any gunky build-up) you should only be applying a topical product as needed (every other day, a few times a week). I use witch hazel daily on Bass' tear-stains because they are deep and he has constant eye watering due to environment and when he gets excited. It helps to keep the area dry. I have not had to Desitin his nose rope in months, I attribute that to the Pork and Peas.
His irritation is much more calmed down now, so I am only doing witch hazel once a day just to keep the yeast at bay. Wiping the chin with dry towel more often as well. All the changes are seeming to help tho, I no longer smell the stink on him anymore! Yippee! Now just waiting to see what the food change brings, hoping for less itches. I can usually handle all irritation and redness with several ideas, its the itching that is still getting the best of us. I'd say he has an itching attack every hour at least. Coconut oil just doesn't seem to help! Ugh.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
His irritation is much more calmed down now, so I am only doing witch hazel once a day just to keep the yeast at bay. Wiping the chin with dry towel more often as well. All the changes are seeming to help tho, I no longer smell the stink on him anymore! Yippee! Now just waiting to see what the food change brings, hoping for less itches. I can usually handle all irritation and redness with several ideas, its the itching that is still getting the best of us. I'd say he has an itching attack every hour at least. Coconut oil just doesn't seem to help! Ugh.

Did your new kibble come yet? I'm wondering if the itching is food related? What is he doing, how is he dealing w/the itchiness?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I finally got a picture! Lol! Since I originally discovered it I have been cleaning it every couple hours, so it looks a ton better, but still a little irritated. I am picking up some witch hazel from the store today.View attachment 103660

Some pink is normal…his eyes look clear and his coat is gorgeous. Finding out the reason for the itching is definitely a must, but overall, he looks good! Give the new kibble from Fromm some time and start it w/the NuVet supplement…Don't forget to log all you are doing, it helps - a lot :smoochwink:

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Did your new kibble come yet? I'm wondering if the itching is food related? What is he doing, how is he dealing w/the itchiness?

I 100% hope the itching is food and not environmental! His armpits and face itching has calmed down, it's mostly some chewing on his arms and legs, not quite the paw area. Light itching on the belly and chest, but none of those areas are irritated, just some mild hair thinning. I don't use a floor cleaner, we steam mop our hardwood floors, and I tried scent free detergent before but that didn't seem to help so I stopped using that. Maybe I should go for longer with new detergent. He has stainless steel bowls... This all makes me think it's food related as well! I store his kibble in a plastic tote in my cool garage, I'm strating to now think of a different way to store his food? Should the container be air tight? Maybe it's a dust allergy. All new ventures I'm trying. The itching is definitely calmed down. He still itches first thing in the morning for awhile and then no itching while he sleeps while I'm at work, and periodically thru out the evening, I'd say every hour or 2 hours. So it's not ALOT of itching by any means, I dont think it bothers him like it does me. I just worry for my boy! Ha! New kibble JUST arrived an hour ago, so I'll give him a few days to adjust to that and report back everyone! Thank you a milion times over!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Air tight container is good :yes: helps the food from not going rancid…especially if you buy those huge bags of Fromm.

Members online

No members online now.