Skin Fold Yeast itchinggggggg!

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin

Happy Friday Folks!!!
I am on information overload trying to decide how to remove the yeast in my Franky's mouth folds. Ugh. I am reading too many articles I think lol...
ACV and Malectic Wipes and Witch Hazel....:ashamed:
What is every ones opinion for what works best for that brown smelly yeasty stuff in the face cracks. They are so itchy, we are ALL going bonkers! I am slowly but surely treating the allergies that come along with the itchies.
I 100% appreciate all the input from this site, I'd be so lost without you guys!!!!!! My Tanklin is my world :thanks:

20170127_054936.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a handsome boy. Is it that they smell? I do not see amy brown stains in the picture?

I have this issue with my Frenchie -- his folds smell sour . I clean with witch hazel every other day and just wipe with warm wash cloth.

If it is stain and itch it may be something in the food or environment.

What brand/protein are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
What a handsome boy. Is it that they smell? I do not see amy brown stains in the picture?

I have this issue with my Frenchie -- his folds smell sour . I clean with witch hazel every other day and just wipe with warm wash cloth.

If it is stain and itch it may be something in the food or environment.

What brand/protein are you feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why thank you!!! Sorry he won't sit still long enough for me to get a close enough picture now, it is just a small amount of brownish tint inside of his 2 chin rolls. Lol. They do stink, not a whole lot since it is not a huge amount, and I'm cleaning them quite often with hydrogen peroxide. But his armpits also itch, and those are stinky as well. Switching food again, and a new probiotic are also in my next steps. Do you need to dilute the witch hazel? And I've heard a rumor of corn starch to keep folds dry maybe? I am currently feeding TOTW Vension and Legummes. Thinking of changing to Fromms, but I'm not sue what flavor. He was on TOTW Pacific Stream before and still itchy.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I use witch hazel for daily maintenance…ACV in water bowl (for internal) and ACV as a rinse after baths or paw soaks. Desitin for red nose-rope and excessive watery tear stains that are rusty brown w/pink-redish skin underneath. It is all trial and error for what product works best for you and your bully, but witch hazel and ACV are always good to keep in the cabinet...

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Read your above reply to Christine's post…just FYI, Hydrogen Peroxide could be causing the itching (or contributing)…I did the MOM/Cornstarch/Hydrogen Peroxide for tear stains remedy and found out that Bass has a bad reaction to it. It could be other factors, but that may be something to consider, if you stop the HP and just use a cloth/warm water for a few days or a week or so then try another gentle cleanser (ACV can be harsh on the face too). Sensitive baby wipes can work too - sorry I'm probably adding to your information overload - lol…

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
I use witch hazel for daily maintenance…ACV in water bowl (for internal) and ACV as a rinse after baths or paw soaks. Desitin for red nose-rope and excessive watery tear stains that are rusty brown w/pink-redish skin underneath. It is all trial and error for what product works best for you and your bully, but witch hazel and ACV are always good to keep in the cabinet...

When using ACV as a bath rinse, does the smell stay? That's a hard one for my Franky to get past, wondering if I can add an essential oil to it to cut the strong odor. I just started adding it to his food dish, which doesn't bother him since he loves to eat as usual lol

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Read your above reply to Christine's post…just FYI, Hydrogen Peroxide could be causing the itching (or contributing)…I did the MOM/Cornstarch/Hydrogen Peroxide for tear stains remedy and found out that Bass has a bad reaction to it. It could be other factors, but that may be something to consider, if you stop the HP and just use a cloth/warm water for a few days or a week or so then try another gentle cleanser (ACV can be harsh on the face too). Sensitive baby wipes can work too - sorry I'm probably adding to your information overload - lol…

No problem at all! It's trial and error after all haha I was planning on discontinuing the HP anywho, I was just a temp fix until I settled on something else. I'm going to start with witch hazel and work my way out I think! Thank You!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
When using ACV as a bath rinse, does the smell stay? That's a hard one for my Franky to get past, wondering if I can add an essential oil to it to cut the strong odor. I just started adding it to his food dish, which doesn't bother him since he loves to eat as usual lol
No. The smell dissipates less than an hour. You will be diluting the ACV anyway, so it won't be as strong...You can add essential oil, I believe [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] can help you with that.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I can't see anything on that beautiful Franklin's mug, lol…He's stunning! His coat is shiny and his white is bright white…you're obviously doing something right…are you sure it's yeast lol??

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
I can't see anything on that beautiful Franklin's mug, lol…He's stunning! His coat is shiny and his white is bright white…you're obviously doing something right…are you sure it's yeast lol??

Ohhhh this makes me smile! Thank You!!! His coat is very shiney and smooth, but his armpits are bald and all sorts of red and scabed up. I can not see yeast there but I can smell it! Ick! The only place I see it actually is in his chin wrinkles. Not bad at all tho, we are lucky compared to other babies I read about! My main concern is the itching that follows, causing his poor armpits to be torn apart, and he just recently started chewing on his arms and legs. No paws yet. Sigh. We tried a dose of Apoquel acouple weeks ago and it all calmed down and went away! But I am trying to ease the symptons without drugs, they scare me too much. All else fails we will go back to the Apoquel I suppose. He's a big puzzle I am currently trying to piece together :pray:

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
20161218_113955.jpg
20161218_113955.jpg
This essentially his arm pits at some of their harsher moments. I can't get the brown on his face no matter how hard I try! Little stubborn butt! His armpits definitely stink even a matter of 2 days after a bath as well.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh yes, I see…Let us know how the witch hazel works, it should cool off the itching a bit and definitely should help with the smell. I hear you on the drugs, I am the same way. I would prefer not to use them if I can help it, but sometimes there are no other alternatives. Have you considered going RAW? You may want to try that instead of doing another kibble switch...

(I also meant to add earlier, make sure any washed areas are thoroughly dried…another reason why witch hazel is so great, it's a drying agent - you can purchase the alcohol free kind if you are worried about the skin becoming overly dry)

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin
Oh yes, I see…Let us know how the witch hazel works, it should cool off the itching a bit and definitely should help with the smell. I hear you on the drugs, I am the same way. I would prefer not to use them if I can help it, but sometimes there are no other alternatives. Have you considered going RAW? You may want to try that instead of doing another kibble switch...

As a matter of fact I just told my hubby today if this next kibble switch doesn't work, we are going to branch out and maybe start with a homemade first. Really scared about that too, but my poor Franklin needs relief in any way possible! I am sure I will turn to this amazin site for food preparation help as well if the Fromm Lamb and Lentil I just ordered doesn't go over as I hope. Step by step, we will get there! Are you familiar by any chance with RAW, would the NuVet Supplement cover all required nutrients he'd be missing if I started homemade or raw?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Happy Friday Folks!!!
I am on information overload trying to decide how to remove the yeast in my Franky's mouth folds. Ugh. I am reading too many articles I think lol...
ACV and Malectic Wipes and Witch Hazel....:ashamed:
What is every ones opinion for what works best for that brown smelly yeasty stuff in the face cracks. They are so itchy, we are ALL going bonkers! I am slowly but surely treating the allergies that come along with the itchies.
I 100% appreciate all the input from this site, I'd be so lost without you guys!!!!!! My Tanklin is my world :thanks:

View attachment 103646

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Hello there... go on the link attached above and you will see a lot of recipes of essential oils.

15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Mix with a carrier oil like coconut oil the clear one! This one works like magic! I use it for Nyala's ears (as mentioned in the link not all the way down in the ear!) I use it for her tail pocket. Great for humans too!

Try to read the link attached as I guarantee you, you wont have anymore issues. Just keep up the maintenance. Also you will see other member's recipes what they've used and how it works!

OP
T

Tanklin

Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin

It just blows my mind how helpful everyone is on here!!! The support is phenomenal!!! Tons and tons of thanks from my Franky Boy and I! Here is my handsome guy at his last Vet appt. He crack me up when his ears go back like that!!!!
20161220_155710.jpg

Attachments

• 20161220_155710.jpg
    20161220_155710.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 166

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.