Spotting Tail Locket & Anal Glands

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hello: I wipe my baby Apollo's bum/under tail every time he poops. He hates it every time but I usually give him treats and he let's me clean it. He usually runs always from my husband BC I figure my husband wipes him too hard and it hurts him. Yesterday while cleaning him I did notice some light red spotting on the wipes. His poo is brown. I have wiped him today and I haven't seen the blood again...wondering why he was bleeding. Also, how often should they get their anal glands done? My baby is a year and 2 months and I want to make sure I'm taking care of him as good as possible. I thank all of you on this forum for your assistance, advice and support. It has been so very helpful. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Did you clean under the tail pocket? Fezzik doesn't like bum wipes so much but if I wipe his penis first and then anus he tolerates it better.

Anal gland problems are usually proceeded by a smell or butt scooching and licking.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yeah, when they are expressing their anal glands, there isn't blood. Just awful smell, and maybe clear substance. If you saw some blood could be from under the pocket if its deep and maybe go irritated. You could apply some gold bond powder under there after you to clean to keep it nice and dry!

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Thank you both KimDe and TyTysmom for the tips. Yes, I clean under the tail pocket every time he goes poo. Now today he keeps wanting to bite his behind and is running around. I think his butt is bothering him. We expressed his anal glands 3 weeks ago....do you think it's time to do it again? Not sure what's going on with his little butt but I am concerned. I don't have any Gold Bond (but isn't that medicated and may sting their bums?)so I will have to go buy some. Can regular baby powder be used?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you both KimDe and TyTysmom for the tips. Yes, I clean under the tail pocket every time he goes poo. Now today he keeps wanting to bite his behind and is running around. I think his butt is bothering him. We expressed his anal glands 3 weeks ago....do you think it's time to do it again? Not sure what's going on with his little butt but I am concerned. I don't have any Gold Bond (but isn't that medicated and may sting their bums?)so I will have to go buy some. Can regular baby powder be used?

Are you able to see under the pocket to see if its irritated or infected? Yes, you can use regular baby powder. The Gold Bond is medicated but doesn't burn, it actually acts as a coolant to help soothe irritation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN.... what and how much do you feed your baby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.