bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Do your bulldogs stink? I feel bad, our guy gets a great bath ever 2-3 weeks depending on his skin, with DermaBens. He always smells good the first 2-3 days but then that "sour" smell comes back. His pocket is cleaned regularly as is his face. His bedding must be washed weekly (in a 2 hour cycle with bleach or it will still be stinky if washed in a normal cycle) and by the end of the week, it REEKS. The vet says they can just be stinky. He's on Earthborn Meadowfeast with probiotics, takes Atopica and also gets a Claritin every night.

The vet compliments how great he looks whenever he sees him (I grinned ear to ear last week being told he was the best cared for EBD in their practice), even though when I bathe him, he's always got some sort of brown bits/crust washing off of his back (looks like tiny brown specks, I know it's from his skin allergies and it's what happens right before he gets a full blown staph infection which the Atopica has kept from happening where he gets bald spots with crusty edges). He is mostly white and you only see it when bathing, not when petting or brushing, etc. And no he has no fleas and is on oral flea preventative too.

Due to his skin, I do not use any type of perfumed products. Also I tried a leave in Zymoxx conditioner once that gave him bad hives so never again. :no:

Any tips would be great. I got more coconut oil and am going to be starting that tonight in his food too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It is probably his allergies that give him that "stink". You could try NuVet, or Kauffmann's has a skin and coat formula that really helped my Doberman. You can call them and speak to them about it. Kauffmann's Animal Health.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It is probably his allergies that give him that "stink". You could try NuVet, or Kauffmann's has a skin and coat formula that really helped my Doberman. You can call them and speak to them about it. Kauffmann's Animal Health.
Sadly the NuVet had an ingredient in it he's allergic to, I can't recall now, so they talked me into the cat version which didn't have it. I honestly thought so much powder was wasted when I put it on his food and he didn't care for it, and it'd be al over his dog dish and didn't seem to stick to his food. I didn't see much difference after using it and got a refund. :( I am going to check out Kauffmman now though so thanks so much!
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]
You used the Canine Coat & Skin Enhancing Formula? Looks to be a lot of vitamins and probiotics. I wonder if I got this I'd need to stop the probiotic I do use already?

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Do your bulldogs stink? I feel bad, our guy gets a great bath ever 2-3 weeks depending on his skin, with DermaBens. He always smells good the first 2-3 days but then that "sour" smell comes back. His pocket is cleaned regularly as is his face. His bedding must be washed weekly (in a 2 hour cycle with bleach or it will still be stinky if washed in a normal cycle) and by the end of the week, it REEKS. The vet says they can just be stinky. He's on Earthborn Meadowfeast with probiotics, takes Atopica and also gets a Claritin every night.

The vet compliments how great he looks whenever he sees him (I grinned ear to ear last week being told he was the best cared for EBD in their practice), even though when I bathe him, he's always got some sort of brown bits/crust washing off of his back (looks like tiny brown specks, I know it's from his skin allergies and it's what happens right before he gets a full blown staph infection which the Atopica has kept from happening where he gets bald spots with crusty edges). He is mostly white and you only see it when bathing, not when petting or brushing, etc. And no he has no fleas and is on oral flea preventative too.

Due to his skin, I do not use any type of perfumed products. Also I tried a leave in Zymoxx conditioner once that gave him bad hives so never again. :no:

Any tips would be great. I got more coconut oil and am going to be starting that tonight in his food too.

Brosco gets garlic tabs, I cannot explain that smell he use to get but similar to your story, great after a bath then strange aroma, after different vet visits, they said it was just him... I started giving garlic tabs a year ago and haven't had a problem since. Some people will freak out and say it could be poison but the dosage that hurts animals is a million times what they could get in their lifetime. I checked with various vets and confirmed its safer than some scented shampoos out there (which are not safe for bullies) and also good for liver and heart. Good luck

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco gets garlic tabs, I cannot explain that smell he use to get but similar to your story, great after a bath then strange aroma, after different vet visits, they said it was just him... I started giving garlic tabs a year ago and haven't had a problem since. Some people will freak out and say it could be poison but the dosage that hurts animals is a million times what they could get in their lifetime. I checked with various vets and confirmed its safer than some scented shampoos out there (which are not safe for bullies) and also good for liver and heart. Good luck
Can you show me which kind you use? Thanks so much for the input!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
If he is not allergic to fish try salmon oil for the vit D content. Coconot will help with the yeast, but you want vit D for immune system.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If he is not allergic to fish try salmon oil for the vit D content. Coconot will help with the yeast, but you want vit D for immune system.
You know, I haven't had him on oils in some time - they discontinued making his omega caps so I stopped using them altogether when I finally ran out, as they didn't seem to do much for him back when I was giving him allergy shots and hadn't started Atopica yet. I had him on those for several yrs and squeezed 2 caps on his food at night. Is Salmon Oil basically the same kinda thing? No fish allergies that we know of....

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Same ones I take over the counter he is 88 pounds so I give him one a day... Coated so no garlic taste I get them at GNC Brewers make one for dogs but you can get same dosage in human garlic and they are cheaper Put one in a treat I don't know if there is anything to it but every six months now, he checks out in the best of health and everyone compliments his shiny coat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I give coconut oil and salmon oil. Cod liver is great too. I just gave her a bath after our road trip but I use only certified fair trade by Dr. Brunner. It's all made with organic oils. She smells nice for a very long time. Also I put 2 drops of lavender on my hands and rub her coat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like yeast... Damn allergies. :stinkeye: Agree with the others ... I was coconut oil for Lambeau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Yes, salmon oil would be the same thing as fish oil. I have used "grizzly juice" currently we use "wild alaskan salmon oil" I was turned onto it when looking for vitamins.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.