How often do you bathe...

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great to know! It makes sense why raw food would promote a natural balance. Thanks for explaining!
Raw food keeps their coat almost self cleaning. There is natural oils in dogs coats that really do that if let to do their job and if their nutrition is something that promotes it, like raw is. Once my Usko brushed himself against the car and got his side all black and dirty. I was too busy to wash him right away, so I just brushed it clean as much as I could, but still stere was a gray spot on his side. Being too busy for a few days and not washing him I noticed the dirty spot just going away by itself and it didn't even feal dirty! I of course washed in him eventually... Then once I experimented with his food and cooked him some millets and quinoa with his raw meat, that made his coat feel sticky and dirty. When I quit giving him those it cleared up in few days. I you wash your bully too often the natural oils are gone and stay gone and then you really have to wash them often.

You can come and smell my bullies any time and they don't smell at all.

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Great to know! It makes sense why raw food would promote a natural balance. Thanks for explaining!

Thank you for this info. I currently feed my dog "Taste of the wild" puppy food. What type of raw foods should i give him? or should i mix it with his current food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Pippy and Lala can go 6 weeks as long as they don't do a bunch of digging(Pippy) and playing chewy face(Lala). Zoey has a super greasy coat and can go no more than 3 weeks between baths.

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Since our bully is an inside pet, we bathe him once a week or every two weeks. It depends really. He has really bad allergies, so during allergy season, he always gets a weekly bath. Non allergy season, we try to stretch it out to once every two weeks. Our vet had mentioned before that you really shouldn't bathe them once a week because it isn't good for them, but we feel comfortable with our routine and it's worked well for us for 2+ years.

Alpha1

Nov 18, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zik
We do it once every two weeks. That is what everyone told us and it is ideal for us. If he gets too dirty, we may do it when we feel like it but we mostly stick to the twice a month schedule.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Now I have two 9 month olds that have never had a full bath...:D

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Bolt had 5 baths in 7 days last week. I think he was rolling in the mud on purpose to get another bath. He loves the bath. Sure enough, we would let him out in the back yard to go potty, and he would come back to the door covered head to toe in mud. PITA.

He is getting huge. I need to post some pictures. At the last vet visit at 5 months he is hitting 40 lbs lol. It is mostly belly too. He is too big to bath in the kitchen sink now so it is a bigger PITA.

Normally our bulldogs get a bath every month or so, sometimes every 2 weeks depending.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
After each bath I dunk him in a bucket of coconut oil. It seems to help with and loss of the oil in his coat. :ROFL:

IMO I wouldn't bathe that much. Natural oils from your body is always better than any added on oils. The body will produce it's own oils naturally which balances the whole immune system (for oils) on it's own. When we need to add oils it's usually cause the body needs it n cant produce fully on it's own cause of skin issues or you're living in a dry place like Texas or even here in Alberta.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.