pamfilo11

Apr 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pamfilo
Hello

I am inquiring about what you all use to help with wrinkle folds and infections.

My 7 month old english bulldog, Pamfilo, has redness between his eye and nose rope. He doesnt have any tear stains, and the area is not swollen. Its mostly reddish and wet.

I clean his folds daily, usually with a dry cloth to keep them from being wet. Once he started to get redness and started scratching on his face I bought some witch hazel and wipe his wrinkles with that once a day. It started to clear up for a while, but then looked infected one day. I used MalAcetic HC dog wipes to clean the infection up once a day for a few days. It went away, but then yesterday it looked like his skin was rubbed raw from all the wiping and was red and inflammed. I started to clean the fold and put coconut oil on it to see if it helps. It did for a day and now he is back to having really wet and red, now slightly raw looking in between his wrinkle. This is only in between the skin under his eye and his first nose wrinkle.

I really dont know what to do, he keeps itching and causing large scratches next to his face- We cut his nails so that scratching doesnt cut him but when we get home he has new cuts. I dont think its allergies because we dont use chemicals around the house and he is on Taste of the Wild Salmon puppy food and has responded really well to that. This just started two weeks ago and Im starting to really worry about him.

Any suggestions on how to keep the area dry/ infection free? Or what I should try next?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

He may not have a food allergy but it could be environment or maybe his eye lashes.... Have you had the vet check to make sure his lashes are nit growing wrong way?

Our boy has lots of environmental allergies and his eyes constantly tear so we give Benedryl twice a day to help. Everything else you are doing is great.... You could also a product like Monkey butt or Desitin to sooth the raw skin, be careful not to get too close or in eye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
:welcome: to EBN [MENTION=15772]pamfilo11[/MENTION]

I would also suggest having a vet take a look at his eyes so it's not lashes irritating him, as that is something that will come up at around that age. And as 2BullyMama says, it can be other types of allergies, since this is his first spring/summer maybe it's some type of pollen in the air.

Hope your boy will feel better soon:hug:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Great advice above… IF the area seems wet you CAN apply a light amount of Gold's Bond powder to keep it dry. Just remember do NOT get any of the powder in his eyes...

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine has the same issues. The vet says that it is the way the wrinkles are shaped around his eyes. When it is really irritated I use Desitin. That clears up the red. I have not successfully kept it away but am currently trying vaseline and corn starch. The corn starch helps with the chin also.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Dealing with this right now! I've found a process that works for me when frank's allergies really start acting up. His 2 largest face wrinkles will become red and yuck looking very quickly. I check them daily, and at the slightest sight of red/gunk. I start him on a 3x-4x daily cleaning + triple antibiotic cream. I wipe his wrinkles out with witch hazel on a baby wipe, and then apply the triple antibiotic ointment. The redness usually clears up quickly. Once it's cleared up I keep a close eye on him and use gold bond medicated powder as needed to keep the wrinkles dry.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
You can also ask your vet to prescribe you Neo-Pedef powder. That stuff works WONDERS. Whenever a wrinkle gets even the slightest irritation, I sprinkle some in for a few days and it's GONE. You may wish to try! And maybe keep Gold Bond around too for maintenance and powder daily. Not to be argumentative, My vet was very anti using any type of creams EVER in wrinkles, so we never have. People compliment us all the time how nice his wrinkles are when yrs ago before I learned what I have, they were always stained brown and yucky!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
if its allergies, there is a theory that if you eat local bee pollen it reduces allergies...i would research and see if bee pollen can be fed to dogs...honey can, so why not pollen? Raw unfiltered honey can help too, but not too much, because its a sugar.

As far as the stains i'm not much help. I have quite by accident discovered that having another dog who likes to clean has made my life extremely easy. My bully gets her face washed every morning and night by our schnauzer. Have you thought of getting a second dog?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
You've received a lot of good advice above from other members and I agree totally --- NeoPredef powder works wonders, so I would
get that from your Vet. The key with any part of the face is to keep it Dry, so creams, saves, lotions, wipes are not a good thing.
I would also recommend having your Bully seen by a Vet Dermatologist.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
You've received a lot of good advice above from other members and I agree totally --- NeoPredef powder works wonders, so I would
get that from your Vet. The key with any part of the face is to keep it Dry, so creams, saves, lotions, wipes are not a good thing.
I would also recommend having your Bully seen by a Vet Dermatologist.

Yes, I never use wipes in the wrinkles either - just dry paper napkins to wipe them out every night to get any moisture, before he goes to bed for the night. If I see anything looking close to being too damp, I'll add powder too. And it takes a few minutes bc I inspect every nook and cranny in his face - you don't see them sometimes until they get angry. It's hysterical the inspection our dog gets on a daily basis - from end to end, lol.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hello

I am inquiring about what you all use to help with wrinkle folds and infections.

My 7 month old english bulldog, Pamfilo, has redness between his eye and nose rope. He doesnt have any tear stains, and the area is not swollen. Its mostly reddish and wet.

I clean his folds daily, usually with a dry cloth to keep them from being wet. Once he started to get redness and started scratching on his face I bought some witch hazel and wipe his wrinkles with that once a day. It started to clear up for a while, but then looked infected one day. I used MalAcetic HC dog wipes to clean the infection up once a day for a few days. It went away, but then yesterday it looked like his skin was rubbed raw from all the wiping and was red and inflammed. I started to clean the fold and put coconut oil on it to see if it helps. It did for a day and now he is back to having really wet and red, now slightly raw looking in between his wrinkle. This is only in between the skin under his eye and his first nose wrinkle.

I really dont know what to do, he keeps itching and causing large scratches next to his face- We cut his nails so that scratching doesnt cut him but when we get home he has new cuts. I dont think its allergies because we dont use chemicals around the house and he is on Taste of the Wild Salmon puppy food and has responded really well to that. This just started two weeks ago and Im starting to really worry about him.

Any suggestions on how to keep the area dry/ infection free? Or what I should try next?

Are you still having problems???

Most Reactions