Eye Discharge/Skin Irritation Help Needed

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My bully has lots of clear eye discharge. He is developing an irritation on his face. Does anyone have suggestions on clearing it up?
Fezz face.jpg

He is currently being fed the Fromm Beef Frittata, has frozen green bean treats, and gets apple cider vinegar in his water. I have not yet added anything back into his diet since I changed it. I have been trying to clean his face with witch hazel but it doesn't seem to help. I clean his eyes with a cotton pad, but would like to know if there is anything I can use to rinse them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be a few things.... how old is he?

When did you notice this start.... during food change to beef or after?

Is it always clear? More during a certain time of day?

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Could be a few things.... how old is he?

When did you notice this start.... during food change to beef or after?

Is it always clear? More during a certain time of day?

He has always had some eye discharge and that spot has been there on and off. That irritation has worsened in the past couple of weeks. I plan on switching to the Fromm Pork and Pea to see if that may help.

He is 10 months old. It has always been clear. He wakes up with boogers in his eyes that I wipe off.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has always had some eye discharge and that spot has been there on and off. That irritation has worsened in the past couple of weeks. I plan on switching to the Fromm Pork and Pea to see if that may help.

He is 10 months old. It has always been clear. He wakes up with boogers in his eyes that I wipe off.

Could be the food... Banks did good on beef frittata, but e best was Pork n Peas.... worst was Lamb and Lentils, her eyes were like water faucet on the L/L. At 10 months, it is still a roulette game with food.... Lambeau is 15 months and his eyes are a mess, I tried every Fromm grain free flavor -- only the new flavor worked well for is eyes, but he then started chewing is paws. So, I now have him on Stella n Chewys --- day 4, not seeing much improvement, :(

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Could be the food... Banks did good on beef frittata, but e best was Pork n Peas.... worst was Lamb and Lentils, her eyes were like water faucet on the L/L. At 10 months, it is still a roulette game with food.... Lambeau is 15 months and his eyes are a mess, I tried every Fromm grain free flavor -- only the new flavor worked well for is eyes, but he then started chewing is paws. So, I know have him on Stella n Chewys --- day 4, not seeing much improvement, :(

Has any sort of cleaning regimen helped? I was thinking of trying a Greek Yogurt supplement. He doesn't seem to be irritated by it, but it looks painful.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Has any sort of cleaning regimen helped? I was thinking of trying a Greek Yogurt supplement. He doesn't seem to be irritated by it, but it looks painful.

No, i am really leaning toward something in the house or yard is really bothering him, but won't know till i can do allergy testing, which our vet will not do till he is 2 yrs old (October).

Is it possible our boy is bothered by something in the environment?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Are you using any eye drops? Not regular eye drops (bad) but like
Allergan's ReFresh Liquigel.

Do you give treats...what kind?

I'd rub coconut oil (just a bit, not much) onto that raw area or just
a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment.

Please let us know how he does!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik

No I haven't tried eye drops yet. What would I look for in an eye drop? He does not get any treats or food other than his kibble, green beans, and ACV.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
No, i am really leaning toward something in the house or yard is really bothering him, but won't know till i can do allergy testing, which our vet will not do till he is 2 yrs old (October).

Is it possible our boy is bothered by something in the environment?

I don't know if it could be environmental. I know his belly gets irritated in the summer (probably by grass or heat), but right now we have been getting bouts of warm and cold so I would think pollen is low. If anything, it would be something in the house. I'll stick an air filter near the room he stays in during the day and see if that could help.

I have been cleaning his bedding once a week and his bowls get cleaned every day.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Eye boogers are on going in our house.Abbott has had numerous eye surgeries and still has boogers.We just put Boudreaux butt paste on his irritated skin and it's worked great.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE had similiar problems when I was feeding him beef now he has his kibble and a lamb chop cut up every day and symptoms have gone.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

Harvey has dry eyes too. I use Genteal (over the counter) lubricants - I buy the severe dry eyes gel version so it stays longer. Try that and see.

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik

The antibiotic ointment seems to be helping. And it's in an area he can't lick off. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
The antibiotic ointment seems to be helping. And it's in an area he can't lick off. I don't know why I didn't think of it.

So glad to hear this, Kim, give him butt scratches from me!

And...me too...simple things escape me, lol...just glad it's working.

FANNYSMAMA

Sep 21, 2015
ID
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fannie Mae
My girl gets the same thing. The irritation is dermatitis. I clean the area w Malacetic wipes, pat it dry, and then apply Desitin (regular strength) w/ a Q-tip once daily. The dermatitis should go away in a few days. Once it's gone, use a powder (Goldbond) to help keep the moisture at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.