Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15

Thread: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

  1. #1
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Hello all, Joey is 8 months old and lets me clean everywhere, ears, bottom, paws, but will NOT sit still to have her face cleaned and medicine applied to tear stains.

    She snaps at the towel and gets all crazy. Not sure why she does this. Either she thinks we're playing OR just hates towels. She'll chase the paper towel if I use to wipe the floor.

    Any ideas? It's just such a battle but needs to be done. Does anyone else go through this??

    Thanks, Sue
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  2. Likes LeleNY liked this post
  3. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Hello all, Joey is 8 months old and lets me clean everywhere, ears, bottom, paws, but will NOT sit still to have her face cleaned and medicine applied to tear stains.

    She snaps at the towel and gets all crazy. Not sure why she does this. Either she thinks we're playing OR just hates towels. She'll chase the paper towel if I use to wipe the floor.

    Any ideas? It's just such a battle but needs to be done. Does anyone else go through this??

    Thanks, Sue
    Treat in one hand, wipe in other.... show and let her smell treat. Wipe face, then reward. She'll eventually catch on that if she allows you to clean her face, she'll get a reward

    Try baby wipes, maybe the towel or paper towel is rough?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  4. #3
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I've been putting treat on floor, giving stay command (which she is great at) but only holds the stay until she sees me coming at her face then bolts.....Thank you!!!!! It's that forest for the trees thing...."Hold the treat in one hand, wipe with the other" so simple.

    I should clarify I have treated pads for tear stains and Burts Bees wipes for face. I used paper towel to dry her back off this morning...raining, she STILLS goes after it LOL

    Thank you very much!! This will be my lesson for the week.
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  5. Likes TyTysmom, Biogirl71 liked this post
  6. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I've been putting treat on floor, giving stay command (which she is great at) but only holds the stay until she sees me coming at her face then bolts.....Thank you!!!!! It's that forest for the trees thing...."Hold the treat in one hand, wipe with the other" so simple.

    I should clarify I have treated pads for tear stains and Burts Bees wipes for face. I used paper towel to dry her back off this morning...raining, she STILLS goes after it LOL

    Thank you very much!! This will be my lesson for the week.
    Are you sure that nothing is getting into or burning her eyes? I hope she's more cooperative Tyson's the same way about his ears... he'll run for the hills! LOL haha. Stinkers.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  7. #5
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    I don't think anything is getting in her eyes. Now granted she has wiggled around in the past and maaaaaybe.....but I'm really careful now and to just dry I pat tear stains with, get this, white cotton gloves that I bought

    I'm starting all over this week, paying more attention to being gentle and taking my time with it, maybe she's feeling my angst too, I get anxious when it's face cleaning time because of the battle......

    Well I'm glad to hear that at least its not only Joey....She funny, she really enjoys her ears getting cleaned....
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  8. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  9. #6
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,729
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5586

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    I will use sensitive skin baby wipes for the face, and if the folds are bad the douxo pads. I also have some white soft washcloths that I use if I need to really clean out their faces or noses… I use the treats just like Jessica stated.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  10. #7
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I will use sensitive skin baby wipes for the face, and if the folds are bad the douxo pads. I also have some white soft washcloths that I use if I need to really clean out their faces or noses… I use the treats just like Jessica stated.
    Good to know! Thank you Tracey! I'll be attempting the new routine this evening. Fingers crossed
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  11. Likes ddnene liked this post
  12. #8
    Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,449
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)
    1881

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Guess Ellie is not the only one!! - we have been having quite the time trying to clean the tear crusties by her eyes, we have been doing to the treat thing, she is starting to get it!!

    Good Luck!!


    Thanks and much Love,

    Melissa - Ellie's Mom

  13. Likes TyTysmom, sisters3 liked this post
  14. #9
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MFrey2012 View Post
    Guess Ellie is not the only one!! - we have been having quite the time trying to clean the tear crusties by her eyes, we have been doing to the treat thing, she is starting to get it!!

    Good Luck!!
    Oh great Melissa, thank you!! It excites me to hear of success with these things.
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  15. #10
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    I think that I will use a VERY HIGH VALUE treat.....CHEESE. Joey does not get any people food and I want to use something other than her tiny training treats, something special. She only get a tiny piece of cheese per month when I give her heartworm pill. So......hopefully it works with this PRICELESS treat

    Edited to say.....WAIT...I stopped greek yogurt because of Joey's stools, lactose intolerant I assume. Maybe not a good idea to use with this lesson. She gets, as I said, one tiny piece per month with her pill. Maybe I'll try frozen green beans, haven't tried those yet.
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  16. #11
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,658
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)
    2074

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Bravo!!!!! It worked! Albeit I just took 2 gentle swipes she remained still and didn't snap at the wipe!!!!! I'm sure with repetition this will become a tolerated, if not enjoyable routine!

    Thank you!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

  17. #12
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,507
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6200

    Default Re: Hates having face cleaned!! Ideas?....Anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Bravo!!!!! It worked! Albeit I just took 2 gentle swipes she remained still and didn't snap at the wipe!!!!! I'm sure with repetition this will become a tolerated, if not enjoyable routine!

    Thank you!
    Yeay! she'll eventually get used to it and it will just become habit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  18. Likes sisters3 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •