Nov 26, 2014
Sanford, North Carolina, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bambam, Pebbles, Fergie, & Paislee
2 of my bulldogs have dry flaky skin with what looks like dandruff on their backs. They both will roll around on their backs in the grass when they go outside. They love when I rub or scratch their backs. I know how itchy dry skin can be. Can anyone tell me what I can use to help with their dry itchy skin? TIA P.S.- I do feed them Nutiva organic cold-pressed coconut oil.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
2 of my bulldogs have dry flaky skin with what looks like dandruff on their backs. They both will roll around on their backs in the grass when they go outside. They love when I rub or scratch their backs. I know how itchy dry skin can be. Can anyone tell me what I can use to help with their dry itchy skin? TIA P.S.- I do feed them Nutiva organic cold-pressed coconut oil.

Have you tried a good conditioner when bathing them?

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have this issue suddenly with ours right now.We use castile soap and vinegar to rinse but I'm thinking I may add some coconut oil to it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Winter time is time to have the heat on(if it gets cold in your state). We used to have a wood stove as our only heat. I always kept a large pot of water on the stove,to put moisture in the air. Now I have propane,but have a cool steam machine(similar to a vaporizer) that puts some moisture in the air. Winter heating can dry their skin, and give them dandruff. @Cannon N Ashley Outz A good "stiff" brushing before their bath will help get the dry skin off. I also have rinsed them with Skin so Soft bath oil,by Avon.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] gave you great advice! Have you ever used yogurt? have you ever considered a good probiotic like Nuvet, both of these would help the skin immensely.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is a common issue w/bulldogs… you can try rubbing coconut oil (small amount) into their skin to stop the flakes. I don't bathe my dogs that often, every 8 weeks at the max.

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried a good conditioner when bathing them?

yes, I think so anyway:)) I use that GNC conditioner with the bulldog on it. Can't think of the name right off. I'll look and let ya know. It's a white bottle with purple lid. Smells very good. What do you recommend?

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is a common issue w/bulldogs… you can try rubbing coconut oil (small amount) into their skin to stop the flakes. I don't bathe my dogs that often, every 8 weeks at the max.

I usually don't bathe mine that much. Very rarely do they normally get baths because they stay inside and don't smell. We do however, regularly wash their face, privates & bottoms with Malacetic wipes to keep them clean. I hated bathing them as much as the Vet told us too. But now since they're so dry and itchy I haven't bc I know it will dry them out even more. I think I'm going to line them up in the bathtub tomorrow and melt some coconut oil and rub all over their backs from necks to tails, making sure to get into their skin very good. Then putting a t-shirt on them. That sounds like a plan!! I'll let y'all know how it goes:)) LOL this should be fun!! :D

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have this issue suddenly with ours right now.We use castile soap and vinegar to rinse but I'm thinking I may add some coconut oil to it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

i actually went to our hometown drug store yesterday and was going to buy some Dr. Bronner's tea tree Castile soap bc it had coconut oil in it too but the Naturopath said that it being soap too that it would dry their skin out further- she said she would just use the coconut oil on them.

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winter time is time to have the heat on(if it gets cold in your state). We used to have a wood stove as our only heat. I always kept a large pot of water on the stove,to put moisture in the air. Now I have propane,but have a cool steam machine(similar to a vaporizer) that puts some moisture in the air. Winter heating can dry their skin, and give them dandruff. @Cannon N Ashley Outz A good "stiff" brushing before their bath will help get the dry skin off. I also have rinsed them with Skin so Soft bath oil,by Avon.

thank you so much!! Great stuff for us to try along with the coconut oil. Didn't even think about Avon-SSS. I just got a new Avon book from the lady too. Yay! Is the regular SSS fine or is their a certain one I need to get? What type of stuff brush? Any one specific you recommend? And we live in NC and it has been very cold lately and the heat has been on more than normal. I will pull out my humidifier too and get it going. Will that be ok instead of vaporizer? Thanks again for all the wonderful info:)) I just love your picture btw!! That's absolutely adorable;))

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Manydogs gave you great advice! Have you ever used yogurt? have you ever considered a good probiotic like Nuvet, both of these would help the skin immensely.

We did use Nuvet, ran out in November. We do give them Pearl Probiotics. Does any one know about that other supplement that is similar to Nuvet but it's cheaper?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Cant say it enough....Also RUB the coconut on them! Put alot to start and then once a week to maintain :))) Really rub in in well so they are greasy especially where they flake the most. Nyala has a beautiful soft shiny skin n fur. So is my bottom fridge, french glass doors n cupboards. Lolll I rather clean it off than getting a vet bill.

OP
C
Nov 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cant say it enough....Also RUB the coconut on them! Put alot to start and then once a week to maintain :))) Really rub in in well so they are greasy especially where they flake the most. Nyala has a beautiful soft shiny skin n fur. So is my bottom fridge, french glass doors n cupboards. Lolll I rather clean it off than getting a vet bill.

Thanks for the info:)) Sounds good!! I am def doing this tomorrow. Do you melt it first or just get a glob in your hand and rub into their warm skin? That's funny abt your fridge and doors. I can imagine! Haha but your exactly right about having vet bill~ anything beats one of those. They're quite outrageous and I don't like to poison my dogs or or vaccinate them like they try to make you do. But that's a whole other issue!! Lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the info:)) Sounds good!! I am def doing this tomorrow. Do you melt it first or just get a glob in your hand and rub into their warm skin? That's funny abt your fridge and doors. I can imagine! Haha but your exactly right about having vet bill~ anything beats one of those. They're quite outrageous and I don't like to poison my dogs or or vaccinate them like they try to make you do. But that's a whole other issue!! Lol

I just put it in my hands as it melts immediately. I put it all over her face too..just everywhere... I also use Fair Trade soap by Dr Bonner. Full of essential oils.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13262]Cannon N Ashley Outz[/MENTION] I use just the original SSS Avon bath oil,after I rinse the soap off. Any brush that will get through the hair is good,as long as it doesn't scratch their skin. I can't rub coconut oil on my dogs because they will constantly lick each other non stop-and then probably get Hairballs!:w00t:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.