Thread: Am I cleaning my bulldogs face and ears properly?

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Default Am I cleaning my bulldogs face and ears properly?

I know there are a lot of posts on this, but I just wanted to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I do not bath my bullies face or ears when I give him a bath. Should I be? I check his face once a day and wipe it clean of food and make sure I dry him after he drinks when I can.

Every 1-3 days I will clean his face with a gauze pad and witch hazel (making sure to get in those wrinkles). I wipe his eyes with a bare gauze pad. He does not currently have problems with tear stains but he just gets gunkies a lot. I put coconut oil on his nose and sometimes his chin and mouth. I figure its safer to eat than a moisturizer since he does a lot of face licking after. Every 1-3 days I clean his ears with a gauze pad with a mixture of half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol (this mixture worked better than the witch hazel). He will not let me squirt anything in his ears so I try to get the pad as wet as possible and do ear rubs after.

Is there anything more I should be doing?

2. Likes jdeveaux, 2BullyMama, Biogirl71 liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Am I cleaning my bulldogs face and ears properly?

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I know there are a lot of posts on this, but I just wanted to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I do not bath my bullies face or ears when I give him a bath. Should I be? I check his face once a day and wipe it clean of food and make sure I dry him after he drinks when I can.

Every 1-3 days I will clean his face with a gauze pad and witch hazel (making sure to get in those wrinkles). I wipe his eyes with a bare gauze pad. He does not currently have problems with tear stains but he just gets gunkies a lot. I put coconut oil on his nose and sometimes his chin and mouth. I figure its safer to eat than a moisturizer since he does a lot of face licking after. Every 1-3 days I clean his ears with a gauze pad with a mixture of half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol (this mixture worked better than the witch hazel). He will not let me squirt anything in his ears so I try to get the pad as wet as possible and do ear rubs after.

Sounds perfect to me! We use baby wipes, but gauze is fine too, as long as its soft. I do not wash Tyson's face or ears, head in general in bath. I don't want water getting into his ears, etc. So I wash him from the neck down, and then clean his face/ears/head separately with a wash cloth

Tyson is the same with things in his ears, so I put ointment or cleaner on a cotton ball and do the rubbing in! Works great!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like a good plan to me!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. He is my first bully babe and we are learning how to care for him together.

6. Likes TyTysmom, Biogirl71 liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I just finished cleaning Nyala and came across this post. I use baby wipes. I buy them at Costco all natural unscented. I use different wipes for different body parts. Then I take coconut oil in my hands till it melts and massage her while she is eating her portion from the floor After a good massage she wants to go outside to roll in the snow and run her body along the garage. Too funny. All this to say, you're doing a good job KimDe !

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post

nope, sounds great!! BTW, you're lucky not battling tear stains!! I do not rinse the head/ears either for fear of ear infection…you got this…good job!!

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

Remove Ads