Am I cleaning my bulldogs face and ears properly?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I know there are a lot of posts on this, but I just wanted to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I do not bath my bullies face or ears when I give him a bath. Should I be? I check his face once a day and wipe it clean of food and make sure I dry him after he drinks when I can.

Every 1-3 days I will clean his face with a gauze pad and witch hazel (making sure to get in those wrinkles). I wipe his eyes with a bare gauze pad. He does not currently have problems with tear stains but he just gets gunkies a lot. I put coconut oil on his nose and sometimes his chin and mouth. I figure its safer to eat than a moisturizer since he does a lot of face licking after. Every 1-3 days I clean his ears with a gauze pad with a mixture of half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol (this mixture worked better than the witch hazel). He will not let me squirt anything in his ears so I try to get the pad as wet as possible and do ear rubs after.

Is there anything more I should be doing?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I know there are a lot of posts on this, but I just wanted to make sure I am doing things correctly.

I do not bath my bullies face or ears when I give him a bath. Should I be? I check his face once a day and wipe it clean of food and make sure I dry him after he drinks when I can.

Every 1-3 days I will clean his face with a gauze pad and witch hazel (making sure to get in those wrinkles). I wipe his eyes with a bare gauze pad. He does not currently have problems with tear stains but he just gets gunkies a lot. I put coconut oil on his nose and sometimes his chin and mouth. I figure its safer to eat than a moisturizer since he does a lot of face licking after. Every 1-3 days I clean his ears with a gauze pad with a mixture of half white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol (this mixture worked better than the witch hazel). He will not let me squirt anything in his ears so I try to get the pad as wet as possible and do ear rubs after.

Sounds perfect to me! We use baby wipes, but gauze is fine too, as long as its soft. I do not wash Tyson's face or ears, head in general in bath. I don't want water getting into his ears, etc. So I wash him from the neck down, and then clean his face/ears/head separately with a wash cloth :)

Tyson is the same with things in his ears, so I put ointment or cleaner on a cotton ball and do the rubbing in! Works great!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like a good plan to me!

OP
KimDe

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Thanks. He is my first bully babe and we are learning how to care for him together.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just finished cleaning Nyala and came across this post. I use baby wipes. I buy them at Costco all natural unscented. I use different wipes for different body parts. Then I take coconut oil in my hands till it melts and massage her while she is eating her portion from the floor :) After a good massage she wants to go outside to roll in the snow and run her body along the garage. Too funny. All this to say, you're doing a good job KimDe !

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)

:no: nope, sounds great!! BTW, you're lucky not battling tear stains!! I do not rinse the head/ears either for fear of ear infection…you got this…good job!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.