Dog spray

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I did a search but their is so many, I am looking for a good spray for my dog. He will get a funky odor, even after going to the groomer. The only way to explain it is like a drool or slobber type smell. He has been on Blue Buffalo Salmon food pretty much his whole life.

No allergies issues and very healthy.

Thanks
2aaee7e6efb27d77e2bd98d243285aac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
stinky saliva you mean? All over or just drool/lips?
Sorry to over use this question, but, have you been using ACV (that was one of the problems that it cleared up on our end)

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Acv? Not sure what that is. It's all over smell, even when I clean folds and ears it's not the same smell.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Acv? Not sure what that is. It's all over smell, even when I clean folds and ears it's not the same smell.

sorry…I meant apple cider vinegar. It may help w/the smell. You can add a small amount in Beux' water/food and do a rinse (ask groomer to add).

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I like to spray diluted white vinegar on then rub them down with a towel. Then either the eucalyptus and mint, or grapefruit spray from target. Rub down one more time and they smell wonderful. If they need a bath and I'm not up for it this is what I do. If they're especially smelly at bath time I use their regular shampoo with some baking soda sprinkled on. It makes them soft and smell good. You can also use the white vinegar for a rinse after the bath. Just don't pour or spray in their eyes, it burns.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

lg.php
match

Dog Smell: 7 Ways To Keep Your Dog Smelling Fresh Every Day… Without A Bath!

I once had a dog that could find the foulest smelling stuff and then would roll in it just for fun!
That same dog thought it was fun to play with skunks, even though every time she did it she got blasted with loads of stink!

Then again, some dogs just seem to have a natural “funk” to them. Dog smell can be a lifelong thing that you have to deal with day in and day out, especially if your dog has a thicker coat.
While you always have the option of giving your dog a good old-fashioned bath, sometimes you don’t have the time to go that route.

Perhaps you’re just looking for a quick fix to remove bad dog smells. Or maybe you simply want to try something different.

Following are the best ways to keep your dog smelling fresh and clean without having to give your dog a full soaking bath…
lg.php
match

Best Ways To Remove Dog Smell

#1 Wipe your dog’s fur with baby wipes.

While they also sell dog wipes at pet stores, baby wipes are gentle enough for a baby’s delicate skin and your dog’s! Just stay away from the eye area. Each thick wipe is pre-moistened with gentle cleansers, conditioners, and deodorizers. They work wonders at keeping your dog smelling fresh and clean. As a bonus, they’re also great for wiping your dog’s muddy paws and smelly bum on occasion. Plus, they’re perfect to carry with you when you’re out and about!

#2 Clean your dog’s ears.

Sometimes the dog smell is coming from your dog’s ears. To quickly clean your dog’s ears, take some mineral oil (or baby oil) and put 3 or 4 drops in each ear. Then use a cotton ball to massage the oil inside your dog’s ear. Be very careful! Just as with humans, you can hurt the eardrum if you rub too hard or poke at the inner ear. Go slowly and gently when cleaning your dog’s ears.

NOTE: Mineral oil and most other dog ear cleaners will not kill ear mites which are typically the cause of a dog’s smelly ears. So, if your dog is shaking his head a lot or his ears often smell bad and have small brown or black specs inside them, then try this 2-step process for cleaning and treating your dog’s ears.

#3 Add some fruits and vegetables to your dog’s diet.

Doggie bad breath can be an ongoing nuisance. One remedy is to mix some dog-friendly fruits and vegetables in with some dry dog food. Your dog may not eat the fruit or vegetables at first, but if you keep adding it to their food regularly, most dogs will eventually start eating the new foods.

#4 Use baking soda or cornstarch as a dry shampoo for your dog.

Baking soda and cornstarch are good things to keep on hand for a number pet predicaments. For example, cornstarch can stop a dog’s toenail from bleeding if you trimmed it too short. Cornstarch can help stop the itch often associated with hot spotsand dry skin. Well, cornstarch and baking soda are also useful at removing everyday dog smell! Simply sprinkle some cornstarch (or cornstarch baby powder) or baking soda directly onto your dog’s coat and use a towel to gently massage it into your dog’s skin. Some people apply a small handful of cornstarch or baking soda directly to their dogs’ paws and armpits to remove that sweaty smell after playing hard outdoors in the summertime. It works just like a dry shampoo for humans!

TIP: Lavender is another natural deodorizer that complements corn starch and baking soda well. So instead of buying a dog deodorant, doggie cologne, or dog grooming spray, you can simply add some lavender to baking soda or corn starch in order to make a lightly scented doggie deodorizing powder. You can also add a few drops of lavender Essential Oil to a spray bottle filled with water to make a lightly scented doggie deodorizing spray. Bonus tip: A vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle also neutralizes odors.

#5 Brush your dog regularly.

Brushing helps to remove everyday dirt, dander, and allergens from your dog’s coat. These all contribute to a stinky dog. As a bonus, the more you brush your dog (outside is best), the more you’re preventing all that fur from showing up inside your house!

TIP: The Furminator is quite possibly the best dog brush ever invented! Here’s why.

#6 Wash your dog’s bedding.

The longer the time in between washings, the more your dog’s bedding starts to smell like “dog”. If the place where your dog spends much of his time has a doggie smell to it, then you can bet your dog smells too. So if you want your dog to smell fresh and clean, you need to make sure his bedding is washed fairly regularly – maybe every other week or so. This will go a long way towards eliminating doggie smells on your dog and in your home!

Here are some tips for washing pet bedding. And if your dog happens to have one of those super-comfy Orvis dog beds, here’s how to wash those.

#7 It’s never too late to start brushing your dog’s teeth.

The best way to eliminate your dog’s bad breath, is to brush his teeth regularly. (If there’s a lot of plaque build-up already, then take him in for a professional doggie dental at your vet’s office.) Here’s how to do it: Start by rubbing your dog’s teeth with your bare finger at random times when you’re both relaxed. Soon, add a small dab of dog toothpaste on your finger, then start rubbing your dog’s teeth with that. (Trust me, dogs love doggie toothpaste!) Again, do this when you’re both relaxed. Eventually, switch from using your bare finger to using a finger brush with dog-friendly toothpaste on it. This is the most effective way of brushing your dog’s teeth and keeping his breath smelling fresh day in and day out. Ideally, you’ll want to brush your dog’s teeth this way at least once a week. Work up to it. If you haven’t brushed your dog’s teeth regularly up til now, then once a week may be too much right now. If your pet simply won’t tolerate having a finger brush inside his mouth, then try rubbing your dog’s teeth with a towel. Every little bit helps!Best Ways To Remove Dog Smell

#1 Wipe your dog’s fur with baby wipes.

While they also sell dog wipes at pet stores, baby wipes are gentle enough for a baby’s delicate skin and your dog’s! Just stay away from the eye area. Each thick wipe is pre-moistened with gentle cleansers, conditioners, and deodorizers. They work wonders at keeping your dog smelling fresh and clean. As a bonus, they’re also great for wiping your dog’s muddy paws and smelly bum on occasion. Plus, they’re perfect to carry with you when you’re out and about!

#2 Clean your dog’s ears.

Sometimes the dog smell is coming from your dog’s ears. To quickly clean your dog’s ears, take some mineral oil (or baby oil) and put 3 or 4 drops in each ear. Then use a cotton ball to massage the oil inside your dog’s ear. Be very careful! Just as with humans, you can hurt the eardrum if you rub too hard or poke at the inner ear. Go slowly and gently when cleaning your dog’s ears.
NOTE: Mineral oil and most other dog ear cleaners will not kill ear mites which are typically the cause of a dog’s smelly ears. So, if your dog is shaking his head a lot or his ears often smell bad and have small brown or black specs inside them, then try this 2-step process for cleaning and treating your dog’s ears.

#3 Add some fruits and vegetables to your dog’s diet.

Doggie bad breath can be an ongoing nuisance. One remedy is to mix some dog-friendly fruits and vegetables in with some dry dog food. Your dog may not eat the fruit or vegetables at first, but if you keep adding it to their food regularly, most dogs will eventually start eating the new foods.

#4 Use baking soda or cornstarch as a dry shampoo for your dog.

Baking soda and cornstarch are good things to keep on hand for a number pet predicaments. For example, cornstarch can stop a dog’s toenail from bleeding if you trimmed it too short. Cornstarch can help stop the itch often associated with hot spotsand dry skin. Well, cornstarch and baking soda are also useful at removing everyday dog smell! Simply sprinkle some cornstarch (or cornstarch baby powder) or baking soda directly onto your dog’s coat and use a towel to gently massage it into your dog’s skin. Some people apply a small handful of cornstarch or baking soda directly to their dogs’ paws and armpits to remove that sweaty smell after playing hard outdoors in the summertime. It works just like a dry shampoo for humans!

TIP: Lavender is another natural deodorizer that complements corn starch and baking soda well. So instead of buying a dog deodorant, doggie cologne, or dog grooming spray, you can simply add some lavender to baking soda or corn starch in order to make a lightly scented doggie deodorizing powder. You can also add a few drops of lavender Essential Oil to a spray bottle filled with water to make a lightly scented doggie deodorizing spray. Bonus tip: A vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle also neutralizes

#5 Brush your dog regularly.

Brushing helps to remove everyday dirt, dander, and allergens from your dog’s coat. These all contribute to a stinky dog. As a bonus, the more you brush your dog (outside is best), the more you’re preventing all that fur from showing up inside your house!

TIP: The Furminator is quite possibly the best dog brush ever invented! Here’s why.

#6 Wash your dog’s bedding.

The longer the time in between washings, the more your dog’s bedding starts to smell like “dog”. If the place where your dog spends much of his time has a doggie smell to it, then you can bet your dog smells too. So if you want your dog to smell fresh and clean, you need to make sure his bedding is washed fairly regularly – maybe every other week or so. This will go a long way towards eliminating doggie smells on your dog and in your home!

Here are some tips for washing pet bedding. And if your dog happens to have one of those super-comfy Orvis dog beds, here’s how to wash those.

#7 It’s never too late to start brushing your dog’s teeth.

The best way to eliminate your dog’s bad breath, is to brush his teeth regularly. (If there’s a lot of plaque build-up already, then take him in for a professional doggie dental at your vet’s office.) Here’s how to do it: Start by rubbing your dog’s teeth with your bare finger at random times when you’re both relaxed. Soon, add a small dab of dog toothpaste on your finger, then start rubbing your dog’s teeth with that. (Trust me, dogs love doggie toothpaste!) Again, do this when you’re both relaxed. Eventually, switch from using your bare finger to using a finger brush with dog-friendly toothpaste on it. This is the most effective way of brushing your dog’s teeth and keeping his breath smelling fresh day in and day out. Ideally, you’ll want to brush your dog’s teeth this way at least once a week. Work up to it. If you haven’t brushed your dog’s teeth regularly up til now, then once a week may be too much right now. If your pet simply won’t tolerate having a finger brush inside his mouth, then try rubbing your dog’s teeth with a towel. Every little bit helps!

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Wow, all of you guys, thanks for the info and replies. I got some good reading to do. Thanks again

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo has skin allergies and I finally found a food that doesn't set him off, Zingnature Salmon no grain but he gets a funky sour smell around his face. He also has a tail pocket with no tail, lol. His tail is a nub and doesn't protrude outside the pocket. So we have a nightly routine. I buy makeup wipes with no alcohol like Oil of Olay. He loves having his tail pocket and ears cleaned so we start with his face wrinkles. He hates a face wash but he knows what's coming next so he stands like a trooper. After his face, his ears with wipes followed up by tissues to dry. And then his favorite, his tail pocket, he's in ecstasy, lol! I like the make up wipes, also baby wipes because they are moist, not soaked making cleaning and drying easy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow, all of you guys, thanks for the info and replies. I got some good reading to do. Thanks again

when did it start and how old is Beaux?

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Turned 3 in October and it seems like maybe 2 years ago. I don't remember him smelling like this like a puppy

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I'm starting to think the smell is coming from his ears, they were a little dirty, cleaned them and smelt a little better. He gets groomed and cleaned regularly. I noticed a lot of people talk about witch hazel and cotton balls. Is it the same witch hazel you can buy at Walgreens or CVS? Thanks

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Ears can definitely be a culprit! The witch hazel is exactly what you would buy from any pharmacy like Walgreens and CVS. It is a great help with ears, tail pocket, and tear stains! It has anti-fungal properties, so a wipe down in those crucial areas a few times a week can help to prevent the yeasty smell.

I'm starting to think the smell is coming from his ears, they were a little dirty, cleaned them and smelt a little better. He gets groomed and cleaned regularly. I noticed a lot of people talk about witch hazel and cotton balls. Is it the same witch hazel you can buy at Walgreens or CVS? Thanks

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I like to spray diluted white vinegar on then rub them down with a towel. Then either the eucalyptus and mint, or grapefruit spray from target. Rub down one more time and they smell wonderful. If they need a bath and I'm not up for it this is what I do. If they're especially smelly at bath time I use their regular shampoo with some baking soda sprinkled on. It makes them soft and smell good. You can also use the white vinegar for a rinse after the bath. Just don't pour or spray in their eyes, it burns.

what's this spray you use from target? I'd like to pick some up. thank you!

Bentley von Eaton

Dec 20, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
If the smell is just a general, funky doggie, inbetween baths smell (as opposed to wrinkle or ear issues), then we use either Plum-Crazy or Facetime foaming face wash, which both are no-rinse type and have a nice scent. The Facetime is papaya scented but the scent does not linger. The Plum-Crazy also smells great and the pleasant scent does stay. I only use them on the top of his head, the back of his neck, sometimes his cheeks and chest, but nowhere near the wrinkles. I put one or two pumps on baby wipes and rub it in, then towel him off. He loves the massage and he gets compliments on how nice he smells. :-)

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
what's this spray you use from target? I'd like to pick some up. thank you!

I use Boots and Barkley grapefruit deodorizing dog spray. I like the mint and eucalyptus too. It's 6 oz and less than $4.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 164

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.