Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
HI everyone I am new to this website but I am having some issues with my bully. He is just a year old and we have had tons of skin issues. We finally got his skin to clear up after lots of anitibiotics, antifungals, and switching his food. He is now on simply nourish sweet potato and salmon. He hasn't had any skin issues since. A few weeks ago now I caught him scratching at his face, ever since then it has been very red and irritated. We have gotten an ointment called animax or dermavet (same thing) from our vet which is an antibacterial and antifungal. Typically this clears him right up. Well it didn't help. So we went back and now we have a spray that is called gentacalm and this doesn't seem to be working either. We are going on a month now, any advice? I've also tried the malacetic wipes. I'm wondering if it could also be just tear stains? It's a very dark red all the way down to his chin but it's not wet or oozing anything. It doesn't smell funky either? It looks painful but he doesn't seem too bothered by it. Thanks in advance for any advice!

OP
Angus12

Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Hmmm, could you take a picture?

20151102_112712-1.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get some NuStock. Follow directions on tube. It seperates,so you must squish it around to mix it. Some people complain about the smell, but it's worth it. Usually can find it at horse supply or coop,or order on web. [MENTION=15009]Angus12[/MENTION]

OP
Angus12

Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Get some NuStock. Follow directions on tube. It seperates,so you must squish it around to mix it. Some people complain about the smell, but it's worth it. Usually can find it at horse supply or coop,or order on web. [MENTION=15009]Angus12[/MENTION]

Thank you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like tear stains to me, filtered water sometimes helps with that.

OP
Angus12

Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Looks like tear stains to me, filtered water sometimes helps with that.

Do you think he would start getting tear stains if he has been drinking the same water for over a year now? Is there anything else I can do to help with this? [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Did you recently change his food? Ruckus had similar discoloration when he had a bad reaction to a new type of food once. I switched foods and it cleared up.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, it could also be the food.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
My rocky had terrible tear stains when i changed his food.. once i figured out what was causing it i changed his food and hes been doing great.. i would make sure you clean his face with warm facecloth daily until you can find something to help. it can get yucky and infected quickly if you don't watch out.. hope you find out whats happening with him..he's a cutie.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Looks like tear stains to me. You can dry them then apply some desitin to keep them dry. One of my guys, Stig, would get seasonal tear stains. In the summer, they're gone, but then comes back in the winter months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Filtered water helps as does the Nustock as mentioned by others.....

Lambeau is 1 and we are dealing with them too -- sigh

OP
Angus12

Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
Did you recently change his food? Ruckus had similar discoloration when he had a bad reaction to a new type of food once. I switched foods and it cleared up.

He has been on the same food for about 6 months now. I hope that isn't what is causing it. We switched him to the food he is on currently because he had some skin issues. They have cleared up since we switched him.

OP
Angus12

Angus12

Nov 2, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus
If you don't mind me asking, what food was Rocky on when you had this issue?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He has been on the same food for about 6 months now. I hope that isn't what is causing it. We switched him to the food he is on currently because he had some skin issues. They have cleared up since we switched him.

How are Angus's tear stains now? Have they cleared up any? I know when we switched Frank to filtered water it helped along with his food. He is on Fromm and we switch between flavors and even though they are all grain free, sometimes he will get a recurrence of tear stains with certain flavors. We stick with the food because he does so well on it otherwise compared to other brands we have tried.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online