Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
For the most part, Goob is the picture of health. He used to eat Merrick Grain Free Buffalo but two months ago, we switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost (Venison and Lamb).

He made the switch very well. He has firm regular poop, he isn't itchy, and he seems to love the food.

The only thing I am noticing is that his LEFT EAR has more build up than before. Every couple days it gets pretty waxy and I need to clean it out. Now his other ear is perfectly healthy!! No build up at all. Neither of his ears are pink and he hasn't had any ear infections but he just has one dirty ear. It doesn't seem to bother him but I'm just wondering, could this be an allergy thing? I wipe both ears daily with witch hazel but I need to spend more time on his "dirty ear."

Because it isn't bothering him, I don't want to switch his food again...yet....Its just kind of weird. Could something else besides the food cause only one ear to build up wax faster than the other one with no other signs of allergies?
20150911_010452.jpg<The king waiting for me to get off the computer and come to bed...those are my knees he's resting his chin on haha

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Doesn't sound like something to worry about... is the wax yellowish or brownish? If it's more brown it probably needs to be treated but it's otherwise normal for them to have some earwax and it can differ from ear to ear:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Strange.... I have been going through the same thing with Lambeau.... one ear is perfectly clean and the other is caked in brown wax, but no infection. I clean everyday with witch hazel and there is always some level of dirt

The one thing I did notice, is the 'dirty' ear is not as rosed and wondering if it is not getting as much 'air'

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Strange.... I have been going through the same thing with Lambeau.... one ear is perfectly clean and the other is caked in brown wax, but no infection. I clean everyday with witch hazel and there is always some level of dirt

The one thing I did notice, is the 'dirty' ear is not as rosed and wondering if it is not getting as much 'air'

My dogs have the same problem, both Boeboe and Joey gets brownish stuff in one ear only but no redness or infection as it seems. I've treated it with Epi-otic and it has gone away but it usually comes back again after a few months. Doesn't seem to bother them and it doesn't smell or look infected so I haven't bothered taking them to the vet:ashamed:

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Doesn't sound like something to worry about... is the wax yellowish or brownish? If it's more brown it probably needs to be treated but it's otherwise normal for them to have some earwax and it can differ from ear to ear:)

Thanks...Ill keep an eye on the color...sometimes its dark yellow but mostly yellow and flaky.

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

I was trying to see what side Goob slept on also...thinking that he was getting more air in one ear but I cant tell a difference. Its just the strangest thing...one dirty ear...I guess I'll just have to watch it closely and make sure it doesn't turn into something serious..Thanks:)

OP
Goob14

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
My dogs have the same problem, both Boeboe and Joey gets brownish stuff in one ear only but no redness or infection as it seems. I've treated it with Epi-otic and it has gone away but it usually comes back again after a few months. Doesn't seem to bother them and it doesn't smell or look infected so I haven't bothered taking them to the vet:ashamed:

That's exactly why I haven't taken Goob to get it checked either...It doesn't bother him. It's not pink. It doesn't smell yeasty. Its just funny that one ear is great and the other looks like I missed it in the daily cleaning.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank is the same way. His left ear gets really gunky quickly and the other ear is fine. I have gotten treatments for it but it always comes back. Now I just make sure to clean it more often and it doesn't seem to bother him if I keep it clean on a regular basis. We have had him on the same food for years and really no other problems with him. He is not even on allergy medicine anymore.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Same here, one ear with debris the other usually clear. I use witch hazel pads also, daily…and NuVet ear cleaner every other week. Still have the "one ear syndrome".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online