Sabrina Nicole

Jun 8, 2015
New York City
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber
Hello. I've noticed that Amber (my EBD) has rough paws and they almost look hairy. I've applied coconut oil which helps a bit with the roughness but they're still hairy looking. I've never seen such a thing but when I search online hyperkeratosis pops up. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've also noticed that she has been licking her paws but only at night before bed. :confused:

IMG_3193.JPGIMG_3196.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes that is hyperkeritosis, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gave you the article we wrote on it. Hope it helps, yours doesn't look too bad luckily.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I didn't know hyperkeratosis was a thing - I just thought curly's paws were just getting rough. Fortunately it isn't too bad on him either. Thanks for enlightening me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has a severe case of Hyperkeratosis. His back paws are worse than his front paws. The skin is actually "Smushed and mushed" down and sideways. At first, I thought it was infact "hair" that could just be trimmed. I found out later from our Vet that
it is actually Skin that is part of his pawpads. It is terrible to see and look at, and Yes, I do have to take Maximus to the Vet on a regular 4-6-week schedule to have the 'hairs' trimmed on his pawpads. He also has Hyperkeratosis on his nose, and I use 'Snout Soother' every few days on a regular basis to keep his nose moist.

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
So Snout Soother Works? I have been using Vaseline but Rosie keeps licking it off, and runs when I bring it out to put on her nose. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So Snout Soother Works? I have been using Vaseline but Rosie keeps licking it off, and runs when I bring it out to put on her nose. :(

Snout soother is a good one... i also use Mushers Secret.... one thing to do is wipe/wash the nose with warm cloth before applying-- it open the 'skin' and help the ointment penetrate better.

Members online