My Bulldog has matted fur around his foot pads.....

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Bulldog "Maximus" has horrible matted fur around the pads of his front paws. I recently tried clipping the fur with scissors, which does not work, as it is stiff, coarse and matted - so I then purchased a "Trimmer" but I tried using it and it won't even touch the matted fur. Do I contact a Dog groomer to do this ?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would definitely take him to a professional groomer, please let us know how it goes.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You could also try soaking his feet in water with hair conditioner, or spray some show sheen for horses on the mats,before you try the groomer. When I was younger, I had long hair down below the floor, and when I washed it,I used the show sheen to get the knots out to comb it. It might work for you [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Where is that article Lisa recently did on paws pads and hyper- something or other ? [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Are you referring to "Hyperkeratosis" ??? That has to do with the skin.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Normally, when I have seen hair matted in paws, it has been a long haired dog. Is it possible he has gum, or something sticky stuck in his paw? [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It would not be easy to take a photo of Maximus's under Paws. He is a large dog, at 81-lbs. All dogs for the most part have long hair around their paw pads. Max is not a long-haired dog. I think I am just going to take him to PETCO or another place with a groomer
and have them use the buzzer to clean out the fur between his toes and around his paws that has gotten matted. I am unable to
clip this matted fur with scissors or the trimmer I just bought.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Macon has (had) very long paw hair. It was making it quite difficult for me to find the bad areas. I waited until she was being lazy and letting me pet her belly then I trimmed as much as I could with scissors. I use grade school scissors for practically everything since I have so many from the kids being in school. I also have a pair of hair scissors and they didn't work well at all for some reason. I had a couple pairs ready and used the easiest ones on her. I found many more places that needed work. They're healing a lot better now.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I bought a "trimmer" hoping it would be able to trim the matted stuck together hairs around his paw pads - but it does not even begin to touch it. It requires a much large Trimmer then I have. So Maximus is going to have to go to the Groomer to have this
done. It will affect his walking. The matted hairs are stuck together and sticky/greasy.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Here is the article: The Pet Help Forum: A Pet Owner's Help & Support Community - Dry Dog Nose or Paw Pads - About Hyperkeratosis in Dogs

I would soak the paws like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] suggested. Can you by chance post a photo [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] because I don't think I've ever seen hair matted in paws before.

Excellent Article! Thank You for sharing it. The video shows the person using Scissors to cut the hairs on the paw pad. I have tried that. The hairs on Max's paws and around his paws are very thick and matted and greasy and stuck together, and scissors will not do the trick. I'm going to have to have the Vet Techs at the Veterinarian office, or a groomer do this.

I emailed the Dermatologist regarding the "Hyperkeratosis" he documented in his report. He did not respond, but had an Intern call me and left me a message. They say there is nothing for me to do regarding this. I do have 'Snout Soother' for his Nose, since Max does have a very cracked nose that has to be kept lubricated and moistened quite frequently. But I thought there was also a product
specifically for "Paw Pads". I will have to look for that as well. Max walks around all day long on wall-to-wall carpeting, and rarely goes out for walks - right now it is just too Hot for him to be outside.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use mushers secret on paw pads... I am sure you can use the snout soother on them

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent Article! Thank You for sharing it. The video shows the person using Scissors to cut the hairs on the paw pad. I have tried that. The hairs on Max's paws and around his paws are very thick and matted and greasy and stuck together, and scissors will not do the trick. I'm going to have to have the Vet Techs at the Veterinarian office, or a groomer do this.

I emailed the Dermatologist regarding the "Hyperkeratosis" he documented in his report. He did not respond, but had an Intern call me and left me a message. They say there is nothing for me to do regarding this. I do have 'Snout Soother' for his Nose, since Max does have a very cracked nose that has to be kept lubricated and moistened quite frequently. But I thought there was also a product
specifically for "Paw Pads". I will have to look for that as well. Max walks around all day long on wall-to-wall carpeting, and rarely goes out for walks - right now it is just too Hot for him to be outside.

If it's very thick and gooey soak them, trim, wash, soak again..... I know the stuff you speak of and it can smell pretty bad too like yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I took Maximus to the Vet - and the Vet trimmed the excess "hair" on his pawpads. His Hyperkeratosis is severe - severe enough to make his pawpads look like they have been "Smushed and Mushed". The skin of his pawpads is flattened on the sides of his feet -
it looks horrible! So, like I said, the Vet trimmed what she could, but I don't like the look of his pawpads at all - the backs are worse
then the front pawpads. I keep them 'greased up' with BAG BALM and BIO BALM. It's a horrible condition and there is no Cure.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
I took Maximus to the Vet - and the Vet trimmed the excess "hair" on his pawpads. His Hyperkeratosis is severe - severe enough to make his pawpads look like they have been "Smushed and Mushed". The skin of his pawpads is flattened on the sides of his feet -
it looks horrible! So, like I said, the Vet trimmed what she could, but I don't like the look of his pawpads at all - the backs are worse
then the front pawpads. I keep them 'greased up' with BAG BALM and BIO BALM. It's a horrible condition and there is no Cure.

Actually from what i've heard if there is an underlying condition (like thyroid or zinc deficiency) this is something that CAN be cured. Vets are also using the Co2 laser to remove layers little by little doing very minimal damage and have been very successful and I saw the results on a a bully's nose myself. You might want to see a board certified dermatologist in person. I doubt they will tell you that there's nothing to be done and that is that! Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.