Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Bulldog has matted fur around his foot pads.....

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Bulldog has matted fur around his foot pads.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Excellent Article! Thank You for sharing it. The video shows the person using Scissors to cut the hairs on the paw pad. I have tried that. The hairs on Max's paws and around his paws are very thick and matted and greasy and stuck together, and scissors will not do the trick. I'm going to have to have the Vet Techs at the Veterinarian office, or a groomer do this.

I emailed the Dermatologist regarding the "Hyperkeratosis" he documented in his report. He did not respond, but had an Intern call me and left me a message. They say there is nothing for me to do regarding this. I do have 'Snout Soother' for his Nose, since Max does have a very cracked nose that has to be kept lubricated and moistened quite frequently. But I thought there was also a product
    specifically for "Paw Pads". I will have to look for that as well. Max walks around all day long on wall-to-wall carpeting, and rarely goes out for walks - right now it is just too Hot for him to be outside.

If it's very thick and gooey soak them, trim, wash, soak again..... I know the stuff you speak of and it can smell pretty bad too like yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I took Maximus to the Vet - and the Vet trimmed the excess "hair" on his pawpads. His Hyperkeratosis is severe - severe enough to make his pawpads look like they have been "Smushed and Mushed". The skin of his pawpads is flattened on the sides of his feet -
    it looks horrible! So, like I said, the Vet trimmed what she could, but I don't like the look of his pawpads at all - the backs are worse
    then the front pawpads. I keep them 'greased up' with BAG BALM and BIO BALM. It's a horrible condition and there is no Cure.

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member mackbob's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bob (Bobman)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I took Maximus to the Vet - and the Vet trimmed the excess "hair" on his pawpads. His Hyperkeratosis is severe - severe enough to make his pawpads look like they have been "Smushed and Mushed". The skin of his pawpads is flattened on the sides of his feet -
    it looks horrible! So, like I said, the Vet trimmed what she could, but I don't like the look of his pawpads at all - the backs are worse
    then the front pawpads. I keep them 'greased up' with BAG BALM and BIO BALM. It's a horrible condition and there is no Cure.

Actually from what i've heard if there is an underlying condition (like thyroid or zinc deficiency) this is something that CAN be cured. Vets are also using the Co2 laser to remove layers little by little doing very minimal damage and have been very successful and I saw the results on a a bully's nose myself. You might want to see a board certified dermatologist in person. I doubt they will tell you that there's nothing to be done and that is that! Good luck!

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Famillal Footpad Hyperkeratosis

Hyperkeratosis is a familial disorder that results in severe digital hyperkeratosis by 5-6 months of age. It is rare in dogs, with the highest incidence in Irish terriers, Dogues de Bordeaux, and Kerry blue terriers. An autosomal recessive mode of inheritance is suspected in Irish terriers. At birth, the footpads appear to be normal, but by 4-6 months of age, affected dogs begin to develop marked hyperkeratotic, thickened, hard, and cracked footpads. The entire surface of all footpads are involved, and the subsequent information of horny growths, expanding fissures, and secondary bacterial infection usually results in severe, intermittent lameness. No other skin involvement occurs, but concurrent abnormal nail development, characterized by slightly faster growth and round profiles instead of the normal U-shaped ones, may be seen in Irish terriers.

• Diagnosis- Rule out other differentials, and performing biopsy.
    • Treatment- No specific treatment is known, but treatments as for idiopathic nasodigital hyperkeratosis may be effective. Symptomatically treat with daily foot soaks prescribed by doctor and frequent filing of the footpads to remove surplus keratin. Significant improvement should be seen within 5 days, but life long maintenance therapy is required for control. For fissured lesions, a cream may be recommended and systemic antibiotics for 3-4 weeks if footpads are secondarily infected. Fast-growing nails should be trimmed frequently. Prognosis for cure is poor, but most dogs enjoy a good quality of life with routine symptomatic therapy. Affected dogs should not be bred.

Yes,some believe there could be a zinc deficiency. Nose butter is a good emolient.(sp?)
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads