Winston95

Jul 19, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
First I'll tell you a bit about my Winstons health issues, he has an allergy to something we are not sure yet if it is food or environmental, so my vet doesn't want me to jump to surgery until we know if that my be causing the tail picks infection aswell. My vet had my using malicetic wipes at the begginning and told me to clean it twice a day for two weeks and come back, by The time I came back the infection was much,much worse he said I had over cleaned it :( which sucks cause I followed his directions perfectly. We tried 3 rounds of antibiotics, creams and still using the malactic wipes but it still was not clearing up. My breeder has since suggested using betadine twice daily and apply foot powder to prevent moisture, which has improved things but the infection is not fully gone. I'm just wondering what you guys have done to get rid of this for your babies?

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
First I'll tell you a bit about my Winstons health issues, he has an allergy to something we are not sure yet if it is food or environmental, so my vet doesn't want me to jump to surgery until we know if that my be causing the tail picks infection aswell. My vet had my using malicetic wipes at the begginning and told me to clean it twice a day for two weeks and come back, by The time I came back the infection was much,much worse he said I had over cleaned it :( which sucks cause I followed his directions perfectly. We tried 3 rounds of antibiotics, creams and still using the malactic wipes but it still was not clearing up. My breeder has since suggested using betadine twice daily and apply foot powder to prevent moisture, which has improved things but the infection is not fully gone. I'm just wondering what you guys have done to get rid of this for your babies?

My bully Legend has a tail pocket that has gotten infected a couple times. The best thing I found to use is women's yeast infection medicine. Get the one day treatment. You may have to do this a couple times until it is cleared up. I then clean it with witch hazel and baby wipes first, use a syringe to make sure the liquid gets in there real good. I then squirt dog ear wash med in there since it has a drying agent in it. Clean every other day to make sure it stays clean. But try the yeast infection meds to clear up infection first. Good luck,,,hope this helps.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i own a bulldog that i have tested and gave shots for her allergies.. this was for at least 2 years.. she still scratched till she was bleeding... it was very upsetting.. not only the lots of $$$ spent but i didn't want her suffering... i finally got a new vet that put her on apoquel 5.4 mil and it has been great.. she doesn't scratch and acts like a puppy again.. so happy i found this vet.. no more shots.. shes happy so im happy...
now the tail infection is on my recent bully that i call my rescue.. we have tried antibiotic 3 times along with cleaning after cleaning with different things.. but no luck, so now we are at last resort and having his tail amputated... didn't want to but i want him better.. i don't like seeing any of my bulldogs suffer.. so we go tuesday and hopefully all goes well,, i am a nervous wreck till hes better.. :fie:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION].

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, those dreaded tail pocket infections! sorry you are going through this with your bulldog, [MENTION=14548]Winston95[/MENTION]. I know there are folks here who have been quite successful with diligent, daily tail pocket cleanings and making sure the area is DRY to deter further infections. In my case with Finn however, he had too many frequent infections that his tail had to be amputated. It was mostly the curly-Q part that was taken out so he still has a bit of a stubby tail but no more infections.
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION], I know your bully will feel so much better after the amputation and recovery period. Good luck with the surgery!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you cali.. im still nervous.. can you tell me how the recovery time went with yours?.. im taking the next 8 days off to be with him.. and even worried about him home alone so i have set up for a sitter to come.. im glad for this site because some of my co-workers dont understand me taking vacation days for my dogs..

how much pain do they go thru.. i need to stop reading to much about it cause im already tearing up.. we havent had him that long.. the infection was there when we got him but i think it was only a matter of hours that i knew i had to help this poor guy.. yeah, i feel head over heels in love with him.. tell me again hes gonna be ok.. lol...

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
[MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION],,,,,hey girl,,,let me know how things go with him,,,,have you figured out who I am yet? lol.....

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
oh yeah, juanita.. i will definitely keep you informed.. i am taking our midnights off so i can be home with him,.,. keep us in your thoughts.. poor guy has had such a rough start in life. i am determined to do all i can to make things better from here on out..

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
thank you cali.. im still nervous.. can you tell me how the recovery time went with yours?.. im taking the next 8 days off to be with him.. and even worried about him home alone so i have set up for a sitter to come.. im glad for this site because some of my co-workers dont understand me taking vacation days for my dogs..

how much pain do they go thru.. i need to stop reading to much about it cause im already tearing up.. we havent had him that long.. the infection was there when we got him but i think it was only a matter of hours that i knew i had to help this poor guy.. yeah, i feel head over heels in love with him.. tell me again hes gonna be ok.. lol...

that's great that you will take some days off after his surgery; i did that for Finny too. I recall that Finn was back to his practically normal self 4-5 days after surgery. He was on several pain meds--tramadol, rimadyl and a fentanyl patch. I had them remove the patch asap tho b/c i noticed him getting very agitated, just wandering around the house the night of the surgery and i suspected side effects from the fentanyl. I also did some warm compresses on the stitched area of the surgical site b/c this is what i was instructed to do and it would help with inflammation and just soothe the area.

I would recommend you sleep with your bully the first couple of nights; Finn usually sleeps in my bed but after the surgery i put a mattress down on the living rm floor so that way he didn't need to climb up on the bed. I just liked making sure he was doing okay throughout the night.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
oh yes i plan on doing that for a while,, until i am comfortable with him being back in his kennel.i am worried he will try to rub on his incision. right now he sits in his litter box because the itching or pain, not sure which one.. but it makes me think he will do the same thing when his stiches start making him itch..
. i worry some about him getting to excited around the other bulldogs.. I have 4 but the two oldest ones he pays no attention to.. but the other one is young like him and they romp and play alot.. i know its going to be hard to keep them apart.. i just hope all goes well and time heals him fast.. I just know im going to get another gray hair from all this.. I happened when my oldest had her pups.. the gray started then.. lol.. as you can tell i worry to much.. cant help it..

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I am going to bed now.. its early i know but we have to be up at 3 a.m. to get on the long drive to vet for my Rocky's tail amputation... i know i wont sleep but i am going to need it because i know i will be up most of night tomorrow night with him.. i wont sleep until i know hes better or getting close to normal.. I can tell each day his poor tail is uncomfortable.. i gave him a bath tonight and just let the water run down over it and i think he found it soothing.. at least I think he did.. but say a little prayer for my boy, he has had such a rough start this first year i am going to change all that i hope... keep you all posted..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I am going to bed now.. its early i know but we have to be up at 3 a.m. to get on the long drive to vet for my Rocky's tail amputation... i know i wont sleep but i am going to need it because i know i will be up most of night tomorrow night with him.. i wont sleep until i know hes better or getting close to normal.. I can tell each day his poor tail is uncomfortable.. i gave him a bath tonight and just let the water run down over it and i think he found it soothing.. at least I think he did.. but say a little prayer for my boy, he has had such a rough start this first year i am going to change all that i hope... keep you all posted..

sending prayers -- best of luck, please keep us posted

punky

Mar 19, 2010
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I am going to bed now.. its early i know but we have to be up at 3 a.m. to get on the long drive to vet for my Rocky's tail amputation... i know i wont sleep but i am going to need it because i know i will be up most of night tomorrow night with him.. i wont sleep until i know hes better or getting close to normal.. I can tell each day his poor tail is uncomfortable.. i gave him a bath tonight and just let the water run down over it and i think he found it soothing.. at least I think he did.. but say a little prayer for my boy, he has had such a rough start this first year i am going to change all that i hope... keep you all posted.. rocky.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.