Ear cleaning question

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Ok, I've been a bully mom for 12 years and our first was so easy and let me do anything to her without a fight. My second 2 well... they hate when I squirt ear cleaner in their ears. They don't mind me wiping them down with cotton balls afterwards they just hate the cleaner being squirted into their ears. The vet said it helps to loosen the gunk deep in the ear canal and simply applying to a cotton ball and wiping probably wouldn't be sufficient. I swear it's like wiping a 2 yr olds face who doesn't want to be wiped. Maybe be it's the cleaner. I wonder if it possibly stings? It worked well for my first bully who had lots of ear issues yeast/bacteria but maybe I should try something else.

So... What is your process. Do you apply cleaner into the ear or onto a cotton ball/wipe etc... And what is your favorite commercial or natural ear cleaner?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I soak a cotton ball with the cleaner, then squeeze the cotton ball into their ear. That's how I was taught to do it, and it sounds much easier than squirting the bottle in there.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I soak a cotton ball with the cleaner, then squeeze the cotton ball into their ear. That's how I was taught to do it, and it sounds much easier than squirting the bottle in there.

I'll try that. Since they don't mind me wiping down their ears maybe they won't be bothered by doing it this way. I currently use Malacetic Ultra ear cleanser. What do you use?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I use the same. Looking for something else though since mine absolutely hate the way it smells. Wellie will roll around for a good half hour trying to get the smell off him.

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
I use the same. Looking for something else though since mine absolutely hate the way it smells. Wellie will roll around for a good half hour trying to get the smell off him.

I know...if it smells that strong to us imagine how they must feel!

OP
Kevikell

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
This is an excellent article that gives some holistic ideas for ear cleaning:

Chronic Ear Infections in Canines - Whole Dog Journal Article

I plan to use some of these for my baby.

Interesting...they also recommend the same cleanser I use! My vet swears by it and said he's seen a decrease in ear problems since starting his patients on it. I may give the other recommendation a try though. The Halo herbal ear wash seems like a nice alternative and probably won't smell as bad as the stuff I use. I also like that it is all natural! Thanks for sharing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've always used Witch Hazel... similar to Ellie, I soak a cotton pad and as I wipe the ear it excesses rolls into the ear.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online