What is wrong with his ears? I thought I was doing the right thing!

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
This is what Tucker's ears look like right now, and he is miserable! I feel awful!

I noticed his ears were dirty during the day, as I'm always looking at them. I first cleaned them with a Qtip and then applied Neosporin. That didn't seem to help, so I put some aloe Vera on them. I later used some ear wipes for dogs that my mother bought for him. The next thing I know, his ears look crusty and like they have blisters that may be oozing. He eats Wellness Core Puppy and hasn't had anything else. I gave him a Benadryl. Should I just wait it out until I can get him to the vet tomorrow?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It looks like it could be a yeast infection in the ears? Which is usually caused by a food allergy or intolerance, but even if it isn't yeast, it is some sort of infection since they are crusty and oozing, and they look sore. I would take him to the vet and have him assess what type of infection it is and have him clean his ears and prescribe some medication to clear it up.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes vet visit tomorrow for sure. Looks infected - he'll need antibiotics. It's best to keep it simple with ears. Plain sensitive baby wipe with some witch hazel. Don't mix too many things. Simple is best. Let us know what the vet says! Poor guy :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the feedback. The ears are less inflamed now and he seems a little less bothered by them now. I will take him in first thing tomorrow and let you know.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We just got home from the vets office, and Tucker has yeast in his ears. They were red from him scratching. We hardly got any sleep last night. Poor baby was miserable, and I was worried sick! The vet cleaned Tucker's ears and gave us some Gentizol ointment to use twice a day for 7 days. After that, I will need to clean his ears weekly with the cleanser.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We just got home from the vets office, and Tucker has yeast in his ears. They were red from him scratching. We hardly got any sleep last night. Poor baby was miserable, and I was worried sick! The vet cleaned Tucker's ears and gave us some Gentizol ointment to use twice a day for 7 days. After that, I will need to clean his ears weekly with the cleanser.

:up: Good move taking him in quickly, ear infections can turn bad really fast. Hopefully it will all clear up asap.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Im so glad the vet was able to diagnose the yeast infection, I'm sure with the cleaning and the medication, it will clear up soon and he'll feel better. Yeast can be a sign of allergies, usually to food, and is usually a sign of a weak immune system. Allergies are caused by an immature or an abnormal response by the immune system. You can help to boost his immune system by giving him a good Probiotic or by adding plain unsweetened yogurt to his kibble everyday. I add 2 Tbsp's of yogurt to their morning kibble everyday

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Good idea on taking him to the vet! I am diligent about cleaning Frank's ears but last year he developed bad yeast and bacteria in both ears. We got some medication and it cleared up in a week. I do a weekly light cleaning with witch hazel, then once every couple of months use a ear cleaning solution to squirt in deeper and massage his ears to loosen up stuff.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was wondering if he could be allergic to his food. I may look at switching to something else. The vet just indicated that I would always have this issue and that I will need to use the ear wash weekly to prevent future yeast infections.

Tucker is a happy camper today, even though his ears are still oozing some. I couldn't imagine not getting him to the vet right away. Tucker is my baby :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeast can be a sign of allergies, usually to food, and is usually a sign of a weak immune system. Allergies are caused by an immature or an abnormal response by the immune system. You can help to boost his immune system by giving him a good Probiotic or by adding plain unsweetened yogurt to his kibble everyday. I add 2 Tbsp's of yogurt to their morning kibble everyday

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If he does have food allergies, what should I change him to? Right now, he is eating Wellness Core Puppy, which has chicken. What would you suggest?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If he does have food allergies, what should I change him to? Right now, he is eating Wellness Core Puppy, which has chicken. What would you suggest?

yeast is fed by starches... so you want to avoid grains and white potato --- My girl, was bad with yeast so we had trouble finding a good food for her, till we found Fromm Pork and peas -- it may work for Tucker.

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The food he is currently eating is grain free. I did pick up a small bag of Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy formula. It's got 4 1/2 stars on Dog Food Advisor, but now I have read reviews where some dogs developed vomiting and diarrhea on it.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Grain-free is great, so that is good that Tucker is eating a grain-free food. It could be the protein as well. Many bulldogs seem to have issues with chicken but not all. Frank is fine with chicken but has flare-ups with lamb, so we avoid any food with lamb. We have a whole section here on EBN that is dedicated to food because with bulldogs it is so important but also so much trial and error! We ended up trying about four different foods before settling Frank on Fromm Game Bird and Fromm Tunalini.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online