tamhow65

Jun 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Our 8 year old English bulldog has been on prednisone and multiple antibiotics in the past five years. We have had allergy testing in the past with environmental allergies. We had to stop allergy shots due to the expense. We have tried white fish and sweet potato and chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin...all grain free. He is up itching all night off and on and also during the day. I feel so bad for him. In the past, vets have had us try Benadryl and now chlorpheniramine. Still no relief. Can anyone suggest ANYTHING I could possibly do for my poor baby?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If you can't keep him away from what's causing his allergies (grass, trees etc) then wipe him down every time he comes in. It should help a little.

I would also say give him baths more frequently to keep him free of the allergens.

You can also try the regular, unflavored Claritin. For a 60-65 lb dog, it's 10mg every 24 hours. It's helped one of mine with hives. I know some here also use Zyrtec but I can't remember the dosage [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor guy! Ellie has you covered with the Clartin suggestion.... I hope that can help. Also, the wiping after outings really does lessen, its gets the pollen and such off so that they do not itch as much

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - I consider myself a relatively intelligent woman, and yet, the thought of wiping Blue down after walks never occurred to me until I saw you mention it here. :thumb3: And yep, it helps.

Could it be that I'm not as smart as I think I am? lol..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama - I consider myself a relatively intelligent woman, and yet, the thought of wiping Blue down after walks never occurred to me until I saw you mention it here. :thumb3: And yep, it helps.

Not at all.... you just have better things to think about ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@2BullyMama - I consider myself a relatively intelligent woman, and yet, the thought of wiping Blue down after walks never occurred to me until I saw you mention it here. :thumb3: And yep, it helps.

If we all knew all the answers,there would be no need to check EBN!!!:lmaoboy:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
If you can't keep him away from what's causing his allergies (grass, trees etc) then wipe him down every time he comes in. It should help a little.

I would also say give him baths more frequently to keep him free of the allergens.

You can also try the regular, unflavored Claritin. For a 60-65 lb dog, it's 10mg every 24 hours. It's helped one of mine with hives. I know some here also use Zyrtec but I can't remember the dosage @ddnene

Ugh I just ran out of Zyrtec so I don't have the dosages in front of me… I know I was giving Winston 1 pill per day.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our 8 year old English bulldog has been on prednisone and multiple antibiotics in the past five years. We have had allergy testing in the past with environmental allergies. We had to stop allergy shots due to the expense. We have tried white fish and sweet potato and chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin...all grain free. He is up itching all night off and on and also during the day. I feel so bad for him. In the past, vets have had us try Benadryl and now chlorpheniramine. Still no relief. Can anyone suggest ANYTHING I could possibly do for my poor baby?

Have you thought about feeding raw?!! I know that some members have done that because it really helped out… [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

OP
T

tamhow65

Jun 3, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you for suggestions

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.