Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
9 House-Cleaning Tricks to Make It Seem Like You Don't Own Pets

Try these smart fixes for getting rid of paw marks, bad odors and all that hair

54eba5fda0dbd_-_wd-cat-on-couch-agdnm2-xl.jpg
Gety

Problem 1: Dirt Tracks

SOLUTION: For soil ground into your carpet, try sprinkling on a lifting agent, such as Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh Carpet Odor Eliminator with Vacuum Booster ($8.99, Amazon.com). The powder helps loosen the dirt's grip on your carpet's fibers, so a vacuum picks up more of the mess. (In a pinch, sub in baking soda.)

Problem 2: Urine Stains

SOLUTION: Before spraying any product, dab away all excess liquid: Lay a stack of paper towels on the spot and place newspaper on top to keep hands dry. Press on it for a minute. Or try Shout for Pet Stains Turbo Oxy Pickup Pads, which soak up to a liter of liquid per sheet. ($5.99 for 10 pads; PetFlow

Problem 3: Repeat Accidents

SOLUTION: If your pet returns to do his business in the same place, try a scented cleaning product, like Nature's Miracle Orange-Oxy Power Stain and Odor Remover ($9.09 -29.99; Petco.com). Animals are attracted to their own smell, so by replacing their odor with a new one, the spot becomes less desirable to revisit. Plus, many cats don't like citrus smells. If you can, gate off the area while the odor fades. If he soils couches or beds, lay down a vinyl tablecloth, which dogs and cats won't like the feel of.

Problem 4: Furry Furniture

SOLUTION: If you allow your pets on the sofa or chair, your best bet is to invest in machine-washable slipcovers. Try Sure Fit covers and throws, which can be easily taken off when you want to sit down (starting at $30; SureFit.net). To remove stray hairs, pull on damp latex dishwashing gloves and run your hands over the furniture to pick up fur.

Problem 5: Hairy Floors

SOLUTION: The Eureka AirSpeed EXACT Pet Vacuum, which comes with a PET Power Paw Turbo Nozzle, is designed to remove hair in hard- to-reach places–and it's affordable! ($72; Walmart.com)

Problem 6: Dirt at the Door

SOLUTION: The Soggy Doggy Doormat's absorbent fabric cleans paws as pets step inside. Plus, it dries quickly. ($39.99; SoggyDoggyDoormat.com)

Problem 7: Litter Box Smell

SOLUTION: Stinky kitty odors are often too strong for a regular air freshener. Instead, try plugging in an air purifier, like the PurAyre Ionic Air Purifier & Deodorizer ($29.99; Amazon.com) near the litter box. It helps eliminate unwanted odors from 50 to 100 square feet and lasts much longer than a disposable freshener. Also, place a textured floor mat, like the Petlinks Pristine Paws Scatter Control Mat ($25.95; HSN.com), at the box's entrance to catch bits and pieces that would otherwise be tracked around the house, spreading the smell. But the best way to cut down on odor is simple maintenance. Scoop the litter daily and wash out the box weekly, using mild, unscented dish soap.

Problem 8: Dirty Bird Habitats

SOLUTION: In addition to changing the lining every day, set aside time once a month to clean the entire cage with a disinfectant solution, then rinse thoroughly with water. By doing so, you'll fight germs and smells. Use a bird-safe product, like Better Life What-EVER! cleaner ($6.99; CleanHappens.com), as some chemical-based cleaners can make your feathered friend ill.

Problem 9: Odors Everywhere

SOLUTION: Spritz Zero Odor Pet on pet beds, rugs and more. The scent-free formula changes the structure of stinky molecules into odorless ones. Magic! ($12.99; Target.com

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I choose to go with [MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION] information-sorry [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] :)

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I always tell people that, "I don't want someone walking in my house for the first time, smell the air, and say, 'Ohh, you MUST have a dog.'"

I have covers on the couches that get washed every other day, same with our bed sheets. Vacuuming is a daily thing with carpet powder. Mopping is every other day, unless Goob is super slobbery, and scented candles are ALWAYS on hand. I also have a dryer sheet hanging on the door handles of most of the bedrooms. They make the house smell like clean laundry hiding the mountain of clothes in the corner.

The one thing that I didn't expect was that Goob smells a LOT better now that we feed him a high quality food. I never thought that he was a stinker because of his food. When he was on Eukanuba, we HAD to bathe him once a week without fail because he stank! Now, we bathe him once a month or LESS!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I like the dryer sheet thing!
I've just gotta say wow at how much effort you put into your home. That is great.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Sadly, while I should be cleaning I'm usually laying in the couch, snuggling Henry and looking up messy house humor! Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I used to be a neat freak! Even with 5 dogs, I would vacuum 4 times a day. When I lost my husband, I learned that a perfect house was not the biggest priority!
attachment.php
Great idea,this one! I don't live in the desert, but I have tumbleweeds!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online