Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25

Thread: Wiping your Bulldog

  1. #1
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Wiping your Bulldog

    Ok, I understand you've probable had this loads of times but my pup has a tight tail and we have to wipe him after he's poo'd. The thing is he really doesn't like it, he yelps as though it's hurting and now started growling, I'm just wondering how often we have to wipe him? I don't want it to get to the point where he won't poo because he knows we're going to wipe him after but I don't want to not do it enough. I wipe him on my own in the day but can't get under his tail as he's pulling away and moving his bum but when my partners home I hold him and she wipes and can get under then puts Vaseline on him or baby nappy cream. Thanks

  2. #2
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    58
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Patch, Amy & Darcy
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    You could try giving him a treat whilst doing it so he knows if he lets you do it he's being good and gets a treat, also tell him good boy, we've never had that problem but with nose rolls etc they don't like it but we just keep saying good boy/girl and give them a treat they get used too it a little more.. Hope this helps

  3. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama, Juststrokeit383 liked this post
  4. #3
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Keanebobulldogs View Post
    You could try giving him a treat whilst doing it so he knows if he lets you do it he's being good and gets a treat, also tell him good boy, we've never had that problem but with nose rolls etc they don't like it but we just keep saying good boy/girl and give them a treat they get used too it a little more.. Hope this helps
    Tried both haha. I did it earlier before I came to work and he fell out with me, he just walked off and sulked haha. He's ok when wiping his tail and round his bum but as soon as you try to lift his tail up then that's when he doesn't like it

  5. #4
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    58
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Patch, Amy & Darcy
    Likes (Received)
    46

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey Baby View Post
    Tried both haha. I did it earlier before I came to work and he fell out with me, he just walked off and sulked haha. He's ok when wiping his tail and round his bum but as soon as you try to lift his tail up then that's when he doesn't like it
    Oh dear haha, they can be really stubborn, I can try ask around to see if anyone's had this problem and see if I can find some tips out for you

  6. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6206

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey Baby View Post
    Ok, I understand you've probable had this loads of times but my pup has a tight tail and we have to wipe him after he's poo'd. The thing is he really doesn't like it, he yelps as though it's hurting and now started growling, I'm just wondering how often we have to wipe him? I don't want it to get to the point where he won't poo because he knows we're going to wipe him after but I don't want to not do it enough. I wipe him on my own in the day but can't get under his tail as he's pulling away and moving his bum but when my partners home I hold him and she wipes and can get under then puts Vaseline on him or baby nappy cream. Thanks

    Make sure that his little tail isn't hurt. Those little nubs are sensitive, and if you try to get under there too roughly it can actually hurt their little tail, like sprain it. You should try to wipe him if not everyday - no less than every other day. What do you use? I use baby wipes, and a little witch hazel, while I'm sure they may not like it, it shouldn't hurt them per say unless they have an infection or something. Few tips to try. Maybe wait a bit after he poos to wipe, so he doesn't relate it directly to that. If you have squirt bottle or like those picnic ketchup bottles, try putting a little witch hazel & water in there, and squirt it as best you can under the tail...without moving it much if possible. Another thing I use is Q-tips with a baby wipe over it, the Q-tip is small enough to get under there, and won't hurt the tail. Tight pockets are hard, but its important to keep them clean bc they are prone to infections. And of course, always reward him right after so he relates the cleaning to the treat!

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  7. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #6
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Keanebobulldogs View Post
    Oh dear haha, they can be really stubborn, I can try ask around to see if anyone's had this problem and see if I can find some tips out for you
    Thanks appreciate it

  9. #7
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Make sure that his little tail isn't hurt. Those little nubs are sensitive, and if you try to get under there too roughly it can actually hurt their little tail, like sprain it. You should try to wipe him if not everyday - no less than every other day. What do you use? I use baby wipes, and a little witch hazel, while I'm sure they may not like it, it shouldn't hurt them per say unless they have an infection or something. Few tips to try. Maybe wait a bit after he poos to wipe, so he doesn't relate it directly to that. If you have squirt bottle or like those picnic ketchup bottles, try putting a little witch hazel & water in there, and squirt it as best you can under the tail...without moving it much if possible. Another thing I use is Q-tips with a baby wipe over it, the Q-tip is small enough to get under there, and won't hurt the tail. Tight pockets are hard, but its important to keep them clean bc they are prone to infections. And of course, always reward him right after so he relates the cleaning to the treat!
    Ok great, thanks a lot. I just got told to use no fragrance baby wipes then dry it off with kitchen roll. Ill try the q-tips wrapped with a wipe later and post how that went. I did think of trying to squirt some water under to see how that did but then I thought if it wets the inside of the curl of his tail and he wont let me dry it might get sore. Ill also wait a bit after to wipe, didn't think of that :-) Thanks again, appreciate the advice

  10. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6206

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey Baby View Post
    Ok great, thanks a lot. I just got told to use no fragrance baby wipes then dry it off with kitchen roll. Ill try the q-tips wrapped with a wipe later and post how that went. I did think of trying to squirt some water under to see how that did but then I thought if it wets the inside of the curl of his tail and he wont let me dry it might get sore. Ill also wait a bit after to wipe, didn't think of that :-) Thanks again, appreciate the advice

    Yes, non scented, sensitive wipes are best. When drying, try to "pat" instead of rub. I have used old t-shirts before, cut them up into pieces, and I'll kinda swing it under his tail...back & forth, very slowly Hope it works for you Show him the treat first, then wipe, then reward.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  11. #9
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes, non scented, sensitive wipes are best. When drying, try to "pat" instead of rub. I have used old t-shirts before, cut them up into pieces, and I'll kinda swing it under his tail...back & forth, very slowly Hope it works for you Show him the treat first, then wipe, then reward.
    Ive tried sliding a baby wipe under but needed two hands, it was impossible as he was trying to get away haha. Hopefully one of these will work

  12. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
  13. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,194
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11531

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Make sure that his little tail isn't hurt. Those little nubs are sensitive, and if you try to get under there too roughly it can actually hurt their little tail, like sprain it. You should try to wipe him if not everyday - no less than every other day. What do you use? I use baby wipes, and a little witch hazel, while I'm sure they may not like it, it shouldn't hurt them per say unless they have an infection or something. Few tips to try. Maybe wait a bit after he poos to wipe, so he doesn't relate it directly to that. If you have squirt bottle or like those picnic ketchup bottles, try putting a little witch hazel & water in there, and squirt it as best you can under the tail...without moving it much if possible. Another thing I use is Q-tips with a baby wipe over it, the Q-tip is small enough to get under there, and won't hurt the tail. Tight pockets are hard, but its important to keep them clean bc they are prone to infections. And of course, always reward him right after so he relates the cleaning to the treat!

    ^^^ great advice^^^ this is a lot of what I had to do with Banks... she had a very tight tail and HATED us touching it. She grumbled the whole time and did all she could to get away... flatten the wipes and slide it under the tail with witch hazel
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  14. #11
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    dalmatina38's Avatar
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Location
    Sierra Vista Arizona
    Posts
    1,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)
    190

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Amber and Ruby have tight tail pockets, and I mean tight tail pockets. Both love their tail pockets to be cleaned; I have used everything under the sun and have found two things they love. A water pik (old one we no longer use) and use that outside because it makes a mess but the girls love the way it feels and noxema medicated pads. I use the pads and get up under the tail and they will come look for me to do their tail pockets. Wrinkles are a whole different story but the tail pocket with those pads feels good to them some way. They run around crazy afterwards. Neither have any problems with yeast or tail pocket issues. Noxema medicated pads are a whole lot cheaper than other pads and they work great for us. Good luck!
    Last edited by dalmatina38; 05-22-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

  15. #12
    Wrinkle Wiper Brucey Baby's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Location
    England
    Posts
    101
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)
    45

    Default Re: Wiping your Bulldog

    Ok great, thanks for all you help, going to try the q tips later. So if I get under with a wet wipe or end up spraying water under, how do I dry him? Would sliding kitchen roll under or bits of cut up towel be enough?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •