Wiping your Bulldog

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok, I understand you've probable had this loads of times but my pup has a tight tail and we have to wipe him after he's poo'd. The thing is he really doesn't like it, he yelps as though it's hurting and now started growling, I'm just wondering how often we have to wipe him? I don't want it to get to the point where he won't poo because he knows we're going to wipe him after but I don't want to not do it enough. I wipe him on my own in the day but can't get under his tail as he's pulling away and moving his bum but when my partners home I hold him and she wipes and can get under then puts Vaseline on him or baby nappy cream. Thanks

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
You could try giving him a treat whilst doing it so he knows if he lets you do it he's being good and gets a treat, also tell him good boy, we've never had that problem but with nose rolls etc they don't like it but we just keep saying good boy/girl and give them a treat they get used too it a little more.. Hope this helps

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
You could try giving him a treat whilst doing it so he knows if he lets you do it he's being good and gets a treat, also tell him good boy, we've never had that problem but with nose rolls etc they don't like it but we just keep saying good boy/girl and give them a treat they get used too it a little more.. Hope this helps

Tried both haha. I did it earlier before I came to work and he fell out with me, he just walked off and sulked haha. He's ok when wiping his tail and round his bum but as soon as you try to lift his tail up then that's when he doesn't like it

Keanebobulldogs

May 17, 2015
Country
Nottinghamshire
Bulldog(s) Names
Patch, Amy & Darcy
Tried both haha. I did it earlier before I came to work and he fell out with me, he just walked off and sulked haha. He's ok when wiping his tail and round his bum but as soon as you try to lift his tail up then that's when he doesn't like it

Oh dear haha, they can be really stubborn, I can try ask around to see if anyone's had this problem and see if I can find some tips out for you :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok, I understand you've probable had this loads of times but my pup has a tight tail and we have to wipe him after he's poo'd. The thing is he really doesn't like it, he yelps as though it's hurting and now started growling, I'm just wondering how often we have to wipe him? I don't want it to get to the point where he won't poo because he knows we're going to wipe him after but I don't want to not do it enough. I wipe him on my own in the day but can't get under his tail as he's pulling away and moving his bum but when my partners home I hold him and she wipes and can get under then puts Vaseline on him or baby nappy cream. Thanks

Make sure that his little tail isn't hurt. Those little nubs are sensitive, and if you try to get under there too roughly it can actually hurt their little tail, like sprain it. You should try to wipe him if not everyday - no less than every other day. What do you use? I use baby wipes, and a little witch hazel, while I'm sure they may not like it, it shouldn't hurt them per say unless they have an infection or something. Few tips to try. Maybe wait a bit after he poos to wipe, so he doesn't relate it directly to that. If you have squirt bottle or like those picnic ketchup bottles, try putting a little witch hazel & water in there, and squirt it as best you can under the tail...without moving it much if possible. Another thing I use is Q-tips with a baby wipe over it, the Q-tip is small enough to get under there, and won't hurt the tail. Tight pockets are hard, but its important to keep them clean bc they are prone to infections. And of course, always reward him right after so he relates the cleaning to the treat!

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Make sure that his little tail isn't hurt. Those little nubs are sensitive, and if you try to get under there too roughly it can actually hurt their little tail, like sprain it. You should try to wipe him if not everyday - no less than every other day. What do you use? I use baby wipes, and a little witch hazel, while I'm sure they may not like it, it shouldn't hurt them per say unless they have an infection or something. Few tips to try. Maybe wait a bit after he poos to wipe, so he doesn't relate it directly to that. If you have squirt bottle or like those picnic ketchup bottles, try putting a little witch hazel & water in there, and squirt it as best you can under the tail...without moving it much if possible. Another thing I use is Q-tips with a baby wipe over it, the Q-tip is small enough to get under there, and won't hurt the tail. Tight pockets are hard, but its important to keep them clean bc they are prone to infections. And of course, always reward him right after so he relates the cleaning to the treat!

Ok great, thanks a lot. I just got told to use no fragrance baby wipes then dry it off with kitchen roll. Ill try the q-tips wrapped with a wipe later and post how that went. I did think of trying to squirt some water under to see how that did but then I thought if it wets the inside of the curl of his tail and he wont let me dry it might get sore. Ill also wait a bit after to wipe, didn't think of that :-) Thanks again, appreciate the advice

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok great, thanks a lot. I just got told to use no fragrance baby wipes then dry it off with kitchen roll. Ill try the q-tips wrapped with a wipe later and post how that went. I did think of trying to squirt some water under to see how that did but then I thought if it wets the inside of the curl of his tail and he wont let me dry it might get sore. Ill also wait a bit after to wipe, didn't think of that :-) Thanks again, appreciate the advice

Yes, non scented, sensitive wipes are best. When drying, try to "pat" instead of rub. I have used old t-shirts before, cut them up into pieces, and I'll kinda swing it under his tail...back & forth, very slowly :) Hope it works for you :) Show him the treat first, then wipe, then reward.

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Yes, non scented, sensitive wipes are best. When drying, try to "pat" instead of rub. I have used old t-shirts before, cut them up into pieces, and I'll kinda swing it under his tail...back & forth, very slowly :) Hope it works for you :) Show him the treat first, then wipe, then reward.

Ive tried sliding a baby wipe under but needed two hands, it was impossible as he was trying to get away haha. Hopefully one of these will work :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

^^^ great advice^^^ this is a lot of what I had to do with Banks... she had a very tight tail and HATED us touching it. She grumbled the whole time and did all she could to get away... flatten the wipes and slide it under the tail with witch hazel

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber and Ruby have tight tail pockets, and I mean tight tail pockets. Both love their tail pockets to be cleaned; I have used everything under the sun and have found two things they love. A water pik (old one we no longer use) and use that outside because it makes a mess but the girls love the way it feels and noxema medicated pads. I use the pads and get up under the tail and they will come look for me to do their tail pockets. Wrinkles are a whole different story but the tail pocket with those pads feels good to them some way. They run around crazy afterwards. Neither have any problems with yeast or tail pocket issues. Noxema medicated pads are a whole lot cheaper than other pads and they work great for us. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok great, thanks for all you help, going to try the q tips later. So if I get under with a wet wipe or end up spraying water under, how do I dry him? Would sliding kitchen roll under or bits of cut up towel be enough?

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
When I got a female EBD many years ago I found out what infected tail was all about and vet said to soak her bottom in some epsom salt every other day for several bathes and they also put her on an antibiotic both. So I did that and much to my surprise it actually helped her and she was able to sit comfortably. I brought her home from the breeders house this way and never knew what that awful smell was but I found out quickly when I took her to the vet. She also told me that Noxema pads were same as ones they give to us but much cheaper. I took her advice and bought those as well and was very surprised at how well they do work and still today I use them on my girl.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok great, thanks for all you help, going to try the q tips later. So if I get under with a wet wipe or end up spraying water under, how do I dry him? Would sliding kitchen roll under or bits of cut up towel be enough?

I personally would not use water.... use the witch hazel as it is a nature drying agent and you do not have to be concerned about going in for a dry :D

OP
Brucey Baby

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
ok thanks, ill get some, tried the q tips and he didnt like them going under. Do I just use that or dilute it?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.