Any Tips! Bully hates his nose fold cleaning!!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Hi everyone just wondered if anyone has any tips on nose fold cleaning, we have all the correct wipes and creams but Dudley won't let us anywhere near his nose fold when we have anything suspicious in our hands. We have tried the softly, softly approach with treats and gently trying to get close, didn't work (hes too clever) then finally tried the tough love approach last night with a two pronged approach, me holding him and my wife Tracy cleaning him, this just made him panic, wriggle like hell and then whimper and cry and we still didn't manage to get near his nose all it did do is made Tracy cry because her baby was crying! :mellow: and me feel terrible!
His nose needs cleaning and we are at a loss as to what to try next ? I have ordered some cotton gloves with the hope i might be able to dip them in his hibiscrub and get the odd wipe in when we are play fighting ?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always :) Dudley.jpg

Thanks
Simon & Tracy

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well, you have to gain their trust. They love butt scratches so use that to your advantage. Give them butt scratches and bacon bits, then while you have them there next to you........go for the nose!! Eventually, they will understand and be more willing to participate. Now, my Amber won't let me do anything with her paws, toenail trimming is absolutely impossible. She hates anyone to touch her toenails, they are black and we hit the quick a few times when she was young. Petsmart will do it for me but only a couple of people will do it because Amber becomes totally unglued at the sight of the clippers.......she becomes a complete and absolute lunatic. I am working with her to just touch the paws but its a battle. Use butt scratching to the fullest and get wipes they cannot smell.....that helps too. Good luck!

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
It can be a real battle to get those nose ropes cleaned especially when the bully won't give in. If treats don't work try to tire him out and try again when he's half a sleep. My Boris does a lot of the same, but he's improved a bunch since i started back on the "alpha dog" submission techniques. I know not everyone agrees with these techniques, but if done correctly and only as a last resort it can really help. He no longer will bite or growl when I come to clean his face, but I can't say the same for my GF :( I'm trying to get her on board with the submission exercises, but she wants to remain "good cop".

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I would say that tough love is still good love.:yes: Their wrinkles and health can change so quickly that skipping routine maintenance can lead to big problems. I would say to try to go at it as lovingly as possible but don't let their wiggles and whines make you give up. I noticed that if I give in to Goob ONE TIME, it has become routine. Your little guy will know that whining and trying to escape will get him what he wants...no nose cleaning.

Goob hates to have his ears cleaned and his runs from me if he notices that I grab his nail clippers. I change my hiding spot for the clippers. I grab them, put them in my pocket, and just hang out with Goob until I can pick him up and cut his nails. He quickly runs to his "treat spot" after his trimming because he knows a treat is coming. I guess catching him off guard is a good tip that some of the others have given you as well.

You could also hold his favorite treat in your palm and have him smell it while your wife cleans his nose (keeping the treat in your hand so he keeps interest and keeps sniffing).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our French Bulldog is like this... we tried every trick and idea we can think of... nothing worked, so it is always a two person job. The b/f or I get him to come and we start lovin on him and giving butt scratches while the other gets the ear cleaning supplies and treats.... then it is still a battle to get him to stay still. When we had Banks we had to get her in a down/stay position and then rolled her on her side and commanded her to stay... and then we laid treats on the floor that she would focus on while we cleaned her ears and folds... then we gave the 'release' command and she darted for her prize

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much for all your advice guys, seems we are trying all the best methods you have mentioned but is is very reassuring to know we are on the right track �� will give more attention to the bum scratches ! Last night I managed to get a few good wipes in by holding his favourite treat tightly in one hand ( as suggested ) will try to keep up with this so he associates the special treat with cleaning.

Thanks again everyone.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great suggestions all above! Also have you tried lifting him on the table? A lot of times that helps.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Haven't tried the table but will definitely give it a go! Thanks ��

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Great suggestions all above! Also have you tried lifting him on the table? A lot of times that helps.

I agree about putting him on a table. For whatever reason, they won't move..lol.

Cleaning one of mine is also a two person job. So we lift him on the table, and my husband holds him like the techs do at the vets office so I'm able clean him.

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
We use baby wipes. I will coax them by wiping their backs first. This relaxes them a little. Sometimes I still need to hold them from running away, but most times they just give in. Utley will now roll over on his back let me wipe and clean away.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Belle's previous owner didn't do anything for her as far as grooming. We got her at 10 months old and she completely panicked at the sight of any grooming tools. I tried all sorts of tactics but it always ended with her cowering, hiding, shaking, etc. Finally I just had to say enough is enough and let hubby restrain her so I could do my thing. It took a few weeks but every day we would catch her and he would gently hold her while I cleaned her face and tail pocket. We did start slow but I also didn't react when she pitched her fit. We wouldn't say anything...we just calmly held her until she quit struggling and then continued on with the cleaning. We've had her for 3 months now and she is MUCH better. I can clean her now without any help and although she doesn't love it, she does tolerate being cleaned without the fear or anxiety. Keep at it! Grooming for a bulldog is non negotiable ;)

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks again everyone for the input and advice. We finally had no choice but to take the hard line approach today because unfortunately Tracy noticed that Dudley nose looked a wet and crusty when she got home so we've had him to the vets who has confirmed he has an infection �� so I held Dudley while Tracy cleaned him he wasn't happy at all but did calm down and he loved his favourite treat after it was all over! So that will be the routine from now on and hopefully he will just look forward to his treat.
Thanks .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online