Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Quick Grooming Question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Country
    united states
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poogan
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Quick Grooming Question

    Hello everyone! I am picking up my new bulldog puppy this week and boy am I happy I have found this site--what a wealth of knowledge! I am ordering my grooming supplies and wanted to see what everyone thought of the following:

    1) Witch Hazel for face/ tail pocket cleaning: Should I be buying non-alcohol based witch hazel? Will alcohol irritate the skin? Also, can I simply use witch hazel to clean my pups ears or do I have to buy some sort of flushing solution such as zymox? Can I just pour some on a paper towel to clean both the face wrinkles/tail pocket? Or should I buy cotton pads?

    2) Douoxo Wipes for the face/tail pocket to use less often or if things get really dirty: Should I use this sparingly only when things get really nasty in the folds/tail pocket? Or should I use as the primary cleaning tool?

    Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    1. I don't use Witch Hazel so can't comment. But I would always use cotton balls instead of paper towels since paper towels are rough, and you don't want to irritate your pup.
    For ears I use Malacetic Otic. It cleans beautifully and Blue's only had one ear infection since we started using it. And that was only because he got water in his ear.

    2. Love Douxo (as well as trizchlor 4 and malaket wipes). Use them on a regular basis to clean. But I do this because Blue is prone to yeast from his allergies. You'll figure out real quick if you need
    to use Douxo for regular cleaning, or if something like Witch Hazel is enough. On Wellie, I use Douxo once a week for maintenance.

    Looking forward to seeing pics of your new pup.


  3. #3
    Newbie
    Country
    united states
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poogan
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Thank you for the insight, I will make sure to stay away from the paper towels. I will definitely be posting pics asap!

  4. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep2me View Post
    Hello everyone! I am picking up my new bulldog puppy this week and boy am I happy I have found this site--what a wealth of knowledge! I am ordering my grooming supplies and wanted to see what everyone thought of the following:

    1) Witch Hazel for face/ tail pocket cleaning: Should I be buying non-alcohol based witch hazel? Will alcohol irritate the skin? Also, can I simply use witch hazel to clean my pups ears or do I have to buy some sort of flushing solution such as zymox? Can I just pour some on a paper towel to clean both the face wrinkles/tail pocket? Or should I buy cotton pads?

    2) Douoxo Wipes for the face/tail pocket to use less often or if things get really dirty: Should I use this sparingly only when things get really nasty in the folds/tail pocket? Or should I use as the primary cleaning tool?

    Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Yes to both of your supplies - we use witch hazel, but on baby wipes. We buy the free of everything wipes, sensitive, dye free, etc. Those are nice for cleaning the folds, and you can just add a bit of witch hazel. I use them to completely wipe Ty down when we come in from walks. I wipe his face, paws, belly, etc. I would say away from alcohol bc it will burn them.

    For tight spots like face folds or pockets, I'll use a Q-tip, like to apply some destin or something... just for easier applying.

    For Tyson booty/pocket - I actually get Tucks, which are basically witch hazel pads... they are nice and cooling and he doesnt mind them Just be careful with their tail pocket, be as gentle as possible, bc you can hurt their tail if your being too rough trying to get up under there. For bad breakouts, we do have the medicated Malacetic wipes.

    I would also get some neosporin for small cuts or irritation. Baby ointment such as destin will work too. Definitely 100% get some benadryl. You will need this on hand at all times in case they break out in hives, or get bit, etc. You can administer to help control. I'd also get a good brush (something like a furminator, or similar) Just remember in whatever you buy that they are very sensitive so always choose the things with the least bit of chemicals, etc. As you would a baby I know I gave you more than you asked, but just trying to get your "bully supply stash" up

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  5. Likes Vikinggirl, JennieS, 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #5
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    hmm.. is alcohol free witch hazel still self drying? for some reason i think it's the alcohol that dries it.


  7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    hmm.. is alcohol free witch hazel still self drying? for some reason i think it's the alcohol that dries it.
    You're right, it does contain alcohol, just looked it up. Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

    If that's the case, it doesnt bother Tyson at all. He has no problems with witch hazel. We use the T.N. Dickinson's All Natural.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  9. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    You're right, it does contain alcohol, just looked it up. Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

    If that's the case, it doesnt bother Tyson at all. He has no problems with witch hazel. We use the T.N. Dickinson's All Natural.
    yeah, but i'm just wondering if the OP gets the alcohol free ones, he may have to dry his pup off after using it, instead of just letting it self dry like regular witch hazel would.

    but i could be completely wrong if witch hazel in itself contains drying properties.. but like i said, i thought it was the alcohol.


  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    yeah, but i'm just wondering if the OP gets the alcohol free ones, he may have to dry his pup off after using it, instead of just letting it self dry like regular witch hazel would.

    but i could be completely wrong if witch hazel in itself contains drying properties.. but like i said, i thought it was the alcohol.
    Yes, you are 100% correct - its the alcohol that's the drying agent. So if they use alcohol free, the would have to pat dry.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  12. Likes nycbullymama, 2BullyMama liked this post
  13. #9
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    Yes, you are 100% correct - its the alcohol that's the drying agent. So if they use alcohol free, the would have to pat dry.
    thanks.. i wasn't 100% sure.


  14. #10
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,501
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    thanks.. i wasn't 100% sure.

    I had to look it up. LOL I didn't either. Learning everyday

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  15. #11
    Newbie
    Country
    united states
    Posts
    23
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poogan
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Re: Quick Grooming Question

    Thank you very much! I will take all the advice I can get!

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •