Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Hello everyone! I am picking up my new bulldog puppy this week and boy am I happy I have found this site--what a wealth of knowledge! I am ordering my grooming supplies and wanted to see what everyone thought of the following:

1) Witch Hazel for face/ tail pocket cleaning: Should I be buying non-alcohol based witch hazel? Will alcohol irritate the skin? Also, can I simply use witch hazel to clean my pups ears or do I have to buy some sort of flushing solution such as zymox? Can I just pour some on a paper towel to clean both the face wrinkles/tail pocket? Or should I buy cotton pads?

2) Douoxo Wipes for the face/tail pocket to use less often or if things get really dirty: Should I use this sparingly only when things get really nasty in the folds/tail pocket? Or should I use as the primary cleaning tool?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
1. I don't use Witch Hazel so can't comment. But I would always use cotton balls instead of paper towels since paper towels are rough, and you don't want to irritate your pup.
For ears I use Malacetic Otic. It cleans beautifully and Blue's only had one ear infection since we started using it. And that was only because he got water in his ear.

2. Love Douxo (as well as trizchlor 4 and malaket wipes). Use them on a regular basis to clean. But I do this because Blue is prone to yeast from his allergies. You'll figure out real quick if you need
to use Douxo for regular cleaning, or if something like Witch Hazel is enough. On Wellie, I use Douxo once a week for maintenance.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new pup. :)

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you for the insight, I will make sure to stay away from the paper towels. I will definitely be posting pics asap!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hello everyone! I am picking up my new bulldog puppy this week and boy am I happy I have found this site--what a wealth of knowledge! I am ordering my grooming supplies and wanted to see what everyone thought of the following:

1) Witch Hazel for face/ tail pocket cleaning: Should I be buying non-alcohol based witch hazel? Will alcohol irritate the skin? Also, can I simply use witch hazel to clean my pups ears or do I have to buy some sort of flushing solution such as zymox? Can I just pour some on a paper towel to clean both the face wrinkles/tail pocket? Or should I buy cotton pads?

2) Douoxo Wipes for the face/tail pocket to use less often or if things get really dirty: Should I use this sparingly only when things get really nasty in the folds/tail pocket? Or should I use as the primary cleaning tool?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Yes to both of your supplies - we use witch hazel, but on baby wipes. We buy the free of everything wipes, sensitive, dye free, etc. Those are nice for cleaning the folds, and you can just add a bit of witch hazel. I use them to completely wipe Ty down when we come in from walks. I wipe his face, paws, belly, etc. I would say away from alcohol bc it will burn them.

For tight spots like face folds or pockets, I'll use a Q-tip, like to apply some destin or something... just for easier applying.

For Tyson booty/pocket - I actually get Tucks, which are basically witch hazel pads... they are nice and cooling and he doesnt mind them :) Just be careful with their tail pocket, be as gentle as possible, bc you can hurt their tail if your being too rough trying to get up under there. For bad breakouts, we do have the medicated Malacetic wipes.

I would also get some neosporin for small cuts or irritation. Baby ointment such as destin will work too. Definitely 100% get some benadryl. You will need this on hand at all times in case they break out in hives, or get bit, etc. You can administer to help control. I'd also get a good brush (something like a furminator, or similar) Just remember in whatever you buy that they are very sensitive so always choose the things with the least bit of chemicals, etc. As you would a baby :) I know I gave you more than you asked, but just trying to get your "bully supply stash" up :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
hmm.. is alcohol free witch hazel still self drying? for some reason i think it's the alcohol that dries it.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
hmm.. is alcohol free witch hazel still self drying? for some reason i think it's the alcohol that dries it.

You're right, it does contain alcohol, just looked it up. Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

If that's the case, it doesnt bother Tyson at all. He has no problems with witch hazel. We use the T.N. Dickinson's All Natural.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You're right, it does contain alcohol, just looked it up. Active Ingredients: Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) (100% All Natural) (Containing Alcohol 14%) (Astringent)

If that's the case, it doesnt bother Tyson at all. He has no problems with witch hazel. We use the T.N. Dickinson's All Natural.

yeah, but i'm just wondering if the OP gets the alcohol free ones, he may have to dry his pup off after using it, instead of just letting it self dry like regular witch hazel would.

but i could be completely wrong if witch hazel in itself contains drying properties.. but like i said, i thought it was the alcohol.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
yeah, but i'm just wondering if the OP gets the alcohol free ones, he may have to dry his pup off after using it, instead of just letting it self dry like regular witch hazel would.

but i could be completely wrong if witch hazel in itself contains drying properties.. but like i said, i thought it was the alcohol.

Yes, you are 100% correct - its the alcohol that's the drying agent. So if they use alcohol free, the would have to pat dry.

OP
J

Jeep2me

Apr 21, 2015
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Poogan
Thank you very much! I will take all the advice I can get! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.