hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Does anyone have any advice on how get Matilda to stop gnawing on her toes?!

Basically, her feet get itchy from allergies, but she's been on Pred and the allergies have completely cleared up. We also started Atopica for long term prevention, and waiting to see if it helps. Anyway, she keeps chewing on both of her right side paws. Her left side paws are fine and all her other allergy symptoms (hives, missing fur, dirty wrinkles and tail pocket, etc) are totally gone.

We went to the vet this morning and Vet and I agree: we think those paws are itchy at this point because they are healing, and so then she bites them, and then they itch again when healing, and it's just a vicious cycle.

She has Genesis topical spray and I clean her feet the second she's back inside from her walks (she has a grass allergy) and then we started Pred again which seemed to do the trick, but then last night she just ripped into her little toes again! Agh! I'm going crazy trying to get her to stop the biting!

Does your bully do this? How can I get her to stop and just let her dang feet heal?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
How about Bitter Apple? My Fr. licks hers, and I spray with it-she quits for awhile.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Try:

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we use a bowl, and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw.

Pickle the paws 2 times a day to get it under control, then treat as necessary.

2) clean all bedding - in the washer

Yeast needs WARM MOISTURE to multiple - keep them paws dry.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
How about Bitter Apple? My Fr. licks hers, and I spray with it-she quits for awhile.
Oooh I never thought to try that on her feet! We have some we used on objects when she was teething. Thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

Try:

1) 1 part Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 part hydrogen peroxide - 2 parts water solution, and 'PICKLE' their paws (when working with the solution, you will definitely understand the 'Pickled Paws' LOL) we use a bowl, and soak each paw - spreading the toes, and massaging to make sure the solution soaks the paw.

I'll have to try that, thanks! According to the vet they aren't yeasty.... yet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try:

Great advice!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.