Tail pocket...

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I gave Belle a bath today but I'm having issues getting her tail pocket clean. It isn't very deep but every time I touch near it she clamps her tail down really hard. It makes it almost impossible to access. Is there a trick to get them to relax? I did get it clean by going very gently and distracting her with treats and it wasn't very dirty so I know it's not infected. I was just wondering if there was a trick to get them to stop clamping their tail down for cleanings? I don't think her previous owner ever did it...it seems foreign to her.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Just keep trying and be as gentle as possible. Raven has the tiniest tale and a very small pocket but when she sees me with the wipe she runs. She will eventually just give in a let me have at it if she is laying down. Tyson has the habit of sitting down to prevent me from doing it. I just pick him up and do what I have to do. I can't blame them, it does feel a bit invasive.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I just talk nice and calm to Frankie. When I first started doing it, I made sure I had treats for him and that helped him relax. Now he sees the witch hazel come out and he drops to the floor like jelly!!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I gave Belle a bath today but I'm having issues getting her tail pocket clean. It isn't very deep but every time I touch near it she clamps her tail down really hard. It makes it almost impossible to access. Is there a trick to get them to relax? I did get it clean by going very gently and distracting her with treats and it wasn't very dirty so I know it's not infected. I was just wondering if there was a trick to get them to stop clamping their tail down for cleanings? I don't think her previous owner ever did it...it seems foreign to her.

It might be TMI but...when Goob clamps his tail down and makes it difficult to clean his tail pocket in the bath tub, I just put a good amount of soap on my fingers and do what I need to do. After a couple swipes, he usually relaxes. haha...oh the things we admit to when it comes to our bullies!:eek::blush2:

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Lol...these stories make me laugh.Wheezie takes off running when she sees me getting the Witch Hazel but Abbott loves it.I shake the bottle and tell him Let's clean your butt and he flops down.He does slam it shut like a bank vault but I get in there.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
LOL you guys made me laugh! Poor thing...she looked so offended when I was trying to get in there :eek: I'll keep at it and hopefully with lots of positive reinforcement she won't be so tense about it. Can't say I blame her though:rolleyes:

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
frank gets every nook and cranny violated on a daily basis. the first few times I did it he was sulking and looking at me like he was SO upset lol, but I ALWAYS make sure to have a high value treat for him when we're done with the butt cleanings. he doesn't like it, but now he stands still and tolerates it.

I do show him the treat beforehand, and always hold the wipe in my other hand so he will associate wipes with a really tasty, good smelly treat and a good experience.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
LOL you guys made me laugh! Poor thing...she looked so offended when I was trying to get in there :eek: I'll keep at it and hopefully with lots of positive reinforcement she won't be so tense about it. Can't say I blame her though:rolleyes:

LOL, I can visualize how Olivia looks at you when she feels so violated.

Now now, Olivia, it is for your own good.:2thumbs:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Boy I wish Petunia would relax when I clean her tail pocket. Guess I traumatized her in early days! [emoji32]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online