My EB has a corkscrew tail with tail pocket

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
I need help on how to clean my EB's tail pocket. His tail is so tight again his butt that I cant get my finger between his butt and tail to clean the tail pocket. What are some ideas on how to get that area cleaned? I though about a qtip but wasn't sure if that would be sufficient enough. Any ideas? We try to get a tucks/witch hazel pad around there to clean.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If it is that tight, you may want to discuss with your vet on a possible tail reduction or amputation, or a way to get in there to flush it out with maybe a tipped bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
Thank you! I did not think of flushing it out. I will try that and then I can push qtips in there to dry it out. I will absolutely try anything before doing any type of surgery and that is the furthest from my mind right now. My daughter can get her fingers under there but isn't able to wipe that well.
If it is that tight, you may want to discuss with your vet on a possible tail reduction or amputation, or a way to get in there to flush it out with maybe a tipped bottle?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you! I did not think of flushing it out. I will try that and then I can push qtips in there to dry it out. I will absolutely try anything before doing any type of surgery and that is the furthest from my mind right now. My daughter can get her fingers under there but isn't able to wipe that well.

If you do flush it, I recommend using a product that is self drying. ( witch hazel, malacetic otic or something similar)

OP
V

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
Can I buy witch hazel in liquid form?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
you sure can, i use thayers brand with lavender for myself and Lola. In general it doesn't matter which brand...though the beauty products tend to be less harsh (no alcohol, like the Thayers brand). In canada where we used to live, I couldn't find what I wanted at the drug store, but whole foods had it.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Riggins tail is super tight so I take an unscented baby wipe and get it up in there and pull it back and forth like flossing. It works great!

He just had an appt yesterday and I discussed his tail and possible amputation because I wasn't sure if it was hurting him. She said it is spotless and he shows no signs of discomfort when touching it so she would never advise an amp just for cleaning purposes. Only time is if it is continually getting infected or due to pain. She said there is always the chance of nerve damage on the end that could lead to incontinence. Surgery would be a last resort thing. I was happy knowing he wasn't uncomfortable. I'll struggle to clean that thing everyday and keep his cute little tail.

I clean it at least every other day....the baby wipes and also witch hazel wipes because of the drying agent. Once a week I gently use q-tips to get out any hair clumps. I do the same with his nose rope. He has a big rope too. [emoji2]

OP
V

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
Amazing! That is definitely a duh moment of why didn't I think of that. I didn't even know they did amputations on tails and that would be an absolute last resort of me struggling for years with him. We took him to the groomer last night and she said we are doing a good job of cleaning him. She did get anything out( no color or anything) but there was a slight smell. She also suggested witch hazel. I think I will do your baby wipe idea and see how that works. Maybe put some witch hazel on qtips and get in there and wipe after cleaning with baby wipes. thanks again!
Riggins tail is super tight so I take an unscented baby wipe and get it up in there and pull it back and forth like flossing. It works great!

He just had an appt yesterday and I discussed his tail and possible amputation because I wasn't sure if it was hurting him. She said it is spotless and he shows no signs of discomfort when touching it so she would never advise an amp just for cleaning purposes. Only time is if it is continually getting infected or due to pain. She said there is always the chance of nerve damage on the end that could lead to incontinence. Surgery would be a last resort thing. I was happy knowing he wasn't uncomfortable. I'll struggle to clean that thing everyday and keep his cute little tail.

I clean it at least every other day....the baby wipes and also witch hazel wipes because of the drying agent. Once a week I gently use q-tips to get out any hair clumps. I do the same with his nose rope. He has a big rope too. [emoji2]

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Amazing! That is definitely a duh moment of why didn't I think of that. I didn't even know they did amputations on tails and that would be an absolute last resort of me struggling for years with him. We took him to the groomer last night and she said we are doing a good job of cleaning him. She did get anything out( no color or anything) but there was a slight smell. She also suggested witch hazel. I think I will do your baby wipe idea and see how that works. Maybe put some witch hazel on qtips and get in there and wipe after cleaning with baby wipes. thanks again!

That is exactly what I do....the witch hazel after. [emoji4] If you do baby wipes, just make sure they are UNSCENTED. [emoji106]Just keeping it clean and dry is the key to what I've learned from everyone on here. Dry, dry, dry. I know if Rigs gets any chunks of hair in there, that bugs him. As soon as those are out, he is happy. And I of course wipe his bum after every poop. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

OP
V

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
The groomer gave me a bottle yesterday that I can fill with baby powder to squirt underneath his tail if I think I am not getting it dry enough in there. I just tried your wipe idea amazing! I couldn't get a piece of it t pull it through but my daughter who is 9 was able to grab a small section with her tiny fingers and it worked. I then got baby qtips9 thay hold more witch hazel) and wiped him with those. waited about 5 minutes then put the powder in there. His butt has never smelled so good before. Can I use the witch hazel on his eye wrinkles? He doesn't have much of a nose rope.

That is exactly what I do....the witch hazel after. [emoji4] If you do baby wipes, just make sure they are UNSCENTED. [emoji106]Just keeping it clean and dry is the key to what I've learned from everyone on here. Dry, dry, dry. I know if Rigs gets any chunks of hair in there, that bugs him. As soon as those are out, he is happy. And I of course wipe his bum after every poop. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.