dani0359

Feb 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
Hi Everyone!
My 5-year-old English Bulldog, Monte has been having really bad tail issues lately. I clean his tail pocket every single day but sometimes that isn't enough. It produces brown gooey gunk from inside his pocket. No matter how often we clean it, within 24 hours it's still yucky again. I have taken him to the vet and they all say different things... he has been on antibiotics, steroids, he's been prescribed wipes, anti-fungal powder, ointment and more! We've even tried using apple cider vinegar mixed with water and MalAcetic Otic Cleanser. Currently we're using sensitive baby wipes and dry it out with a towel after, but that isn't working either. The only thing that ever works is the antibiotics. I really don't want to keep him on antibiotics his whole life, plus that gets expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to clean Monte's tail pocket clean? It doesn't hurt him when I clean it, he enjoys it, but I'd prefer to get rid of the brown gooey gunk that constantly comes out of it. Please help!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Everyone!
My 5-year-old English Bulldog, Monte has been having really bad tail issues lately. I clean his tail pocket every single day but sometimes that isn't enough. It produces brown gooey gunk from inside his pocket. No matter how often we clean it, within 24 hours it's still yucky again. I have taken him to the vet and they all say different things... he has been on antibiotics, steroids, he's been prescribed wipes, anti-fungal powder, ointment and more! We've even tried using apple cider vinegar mixed with water and MalAcetic Otic Cleanser. Currently we're using sensitive baby wipes and dry it out with a towel after, but that isn't working either. The only thing that ever works is the antibiotics. I really don't want to keep him on antibiotics his whole life, plus that gets expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to clean Monte's tail pocket clean? It doesn't hurt him when I clean it, he enjoys it, but I'd prefer to get rid of the brown gooey gunk that constantly comes out of it. Please help!

It really sounds like you need to take him to a GOOD bully vet. Where abouts are you? A bully vet can tell you what needs to be done, it seems like you've tried/trying everything correctly.

:welcome: to EBN.

OP
D

dani0359

Feb 12, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
We are located in Minnesota. Google only shows me 2 vets that specialize in Bulldogs, maybe we'll have to make an appointment.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Inver Grove Heights Animal Hospital
Inver Grove Heights, MN
651-451-4404 This is a recommended bullie vet on EBN. If it is not near you, maybe you could call them and see if they can recommend
Drs. James & Ann Winsor someone nearer to you.@dani0359

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I wash Ruckus's tail with Duoxo shampoo and I think it helps keep it clean in between baths. It's a bit expensive so I buy a different shampoo for the rest of his body.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.