Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Natural Alternatives - for Teeth Cleaning

Anyone have any suggestions on natural cleaners for teeth? Yes, I am aware of bones, and I've tried them but they make his teeth bleed a little. Is that even normal? I also get scared of him swallowing pieces?

His teeth are not the best, but they aren't horrible.... I have tried brushing, he'll let me... but its not the easiest.... I've been researching and came across powders you can put in food, stuff to put in water, and gels that help breakdown plaque.. but I am always scared of using products that contain who knows what in them.

I am going to try brushing with some coconut oil, just wanted to see if any members have had luck with anything else? and saw good results. I am NOT going to take him to be cleaned, because I do not want him put under Tyson is going to be 9 in Feb so he's not a spring chicken.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Natural Alternatives - for Teeth Cleaning

We use antlers and Nylabone Durabones, which are really tough. Frank will chew on them so much that sometimes his gums will bleed a little, but I think that is fairly normal when doing aggressive chewing. We haven't had any issues with pieces coming of the Durabones and we supervise him when he chews on his antler to monitor for any larger pieces he may gnaw off.

My sister in law's dogs have dental issues and they use a spray, Burt's Bees Dental spray, and they really are happy with that.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Biogirl71 View Post
    We use antlers and Nylabone Durabones, which are really tough. Frank will chew on them so much that sometimes his gums will bleed a little, but I think that is fairly normal when doing aggressive chewing. We haven't had any issues with pieces coming of the Durabones and we supervise him when he chews on his antler to monitor for any larger pieces he may gnaw off.

My sister in law's dogs have dental issues and they use a spray, Burt's Bees Dental spray, and they really are happy with that.
    Thanks so much! That was one of my biggest fears - pieces coming off and then he swallows. I guess I'm scarred by that having to go through surgery. I appreciate both - I'll look em' up!

My whole heart, Tyson.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Biogirl71 View Post
    we did the same with Banks... nylabones, antlers and marrow bones... she loved them and her teeth were in great shape - never an issue and she was a POWER chewer.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    we did the same with Banks... nylabones, antlers and marrow bones... she loved them and her teeth were in great shape - never an issue and she was a POWER chewer.
    I'll have to do research, but I have no clue where to find antlers, marrow, etc. I wonder if they will help clean what is there already...

My whole heart, Tyson.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I'll have to do research, but I have no clue where to find antlers, marrow, etc. I wonder if they will help clean what is there already...
    Antlers --- Acadia Antlers are great and ship fast. We have had a few that are still laying around 3 yrs later.

Marrow --- get them at the butcher shop, grocery store freezer --- do NOT cook them, give frozen
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Antlers --- Acadia Antlers are great and ship fast. We have had a few that are still laying around 3 yrs later.

Marrow --- get them at the butcher chopr, grocery store freezer --- do NOT cook them, give frozen

Ahh!! Life saver - I was literally just searching google, "where to buy antlers" haha oh the things that came up, I was looking at my computer sideways.Thank you!!

My whole heart, Tyson.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jessica, I agree and totally understand your worries about being put under anesthetic for teeth cleaning, it worries me too, and since they need regular cleanings at least twice a month, it would require putting them under each time which would increase the possibility of complications. I do brush Dozer and Blossoms teeth, but I was very fortunate to find a groomer who scales and cleans teeth in her shop. She did a course for cleaning and scaling and I've had her clean their teeth twice and she did a really good job. I liked this because they got a more deep cleaning without any medication or anesthetic. Not all dogs will let someone brush or scale their teeth while being awake. I don't know if there are any groomers that provide this service in your area, but it is worth calling around and enquiring.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

If you want something faster, I've seen petsmart and petco carry antlers. I bought Ace's antler from Petsmart when he was a puppy, although, it is hard to find larger ones now that he is older. I need to try the suggested website mentioned above.
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Natural Alternatives - for Teeth Cleaning

@AceTheBathound Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=TyTysmom;580599]@AceTheBathound Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Good post & education, thank you.

I lost my 1st bully, Brutus, in dental surgery.
    He'd been neutered before I adopted him and had
    blood work & labs before doing so and relatively
    young (3-5), came out of surgery fine but 15 minutes
    later was gone. His teeth were terrible and he did have
    infection below gums. I found out, later, they gave him
    antibiotic shots during surgery and researching later, it's
    can contribute and/or cause heart failure. This was a bully
    Vet that had owned bullies but I believe, not fully aware of
    ALL issues to avoid. The Vet was devastated & did not charge
    me for the surgery. Brutus was a fabulous boy, never appreciated
    or loved until I got him. He'd had at least 3 previous owners before
    me. The nurse I got him from, got him off Craigslist. The 7 months
    we had together was a true gift from GOD...RIP beloved Brutus <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;580613]
    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    @AceTheBathound Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Good post & education, thank you.

I lost my 1st bully, Brutus, in dental surgery.
    He'd been neutered before I adopted him and had
    blood work & labs before doing so and relatively
    young (3-5), came out of surgery fine but 15 minutes
    later was gone. His teeth were terrible and he did have
    infection below gums. I found out, later, they gave him
    antibiotic shots during surgery and researching later, it's
    can contribute and/or cause heart failure. This was a bully
    Vet that had owned bullies but I believe, not fully aware of
    ALL issues to avoid. The Vet was devastated & did not charge
    me for the surgery. Brutus was a fabulous boy, never appreciated
    or loved until I got him. He'd had at least 3 previous owners before
    me. The nurse I got him from, got him off Craigslist. The 7 months
    we had together was a true gift from GOD...RIP beloved Brutus <3
    Oh Carol, I am so sorry about your beautiful boy Brutus. I am so terrified of just that. Tyson has been under twice. The first time, we too almost lost him. He went into respiratory attack after coming out of anesthesia. They told us to come say goodbye to him. The event shattered me to pieces, I've never prayed so hard, or had my heart so broken. By the grace of God, and an amazing ER vet, he survived, it took him a week incubated in an oxygen chamber. Since then I vowed to never put him under again unless his life depended on it. Then this past January happened, with him eating the socks. I cannot tell you the fear I had... its just indescribable.... I can't believe how well he pulled through surgery this second time. It was with another vet, who specializes in bulldogs. I can't stress how important that is on this forum - to have a vet who knows the breed. My heart breaks for you, and I know that Brutus is looking down & thanking his lucky stars for the beautiful time he had with you. Bless you for giving him such a wonderful life that he deserved while he was with you.

Tyson's teeth were starting to get plaque on the bottom towards the gumline. I should have taken pictures, but its hard enough to do anything teeth related in general with him! Anyway, when I saw that I panicked, and thats when I started looking for help. I read & researched, I tried sprays, he hated them and would run from me, I tried gel, he hated it. I didn't want to give him any of those powders, or anything bc honestly I'm not fond of things that aren't natural or good for him. That's when I sought out the antlers that @2BullyMama recommended. Let me just say, she has been so wonderful with me since I joined the forum. Then we all know the benefits of coconut oil, and I read that applying to the gums could help prevent gum disease, so one day I took his toothbrush and tried - he loved it. So now everyday I'll brush his teeth (the best i can) with it, and let him have his antler for a while. Since then I have noticed 80% or more of the plaque already gone. You can actually kinda see the shadow of where it was. He has just small amts left that I am still working on. He's never ever shown any signs of pain, or anything, eats just fine. I just don't want to ever be in the position where he needs to go under for his teeth... bc I would be the one to blame for not taking care of them. Hugs to you Carol - from me & Ty-Ty.

My whole heart, Tyson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads