Natural Alternatives - for Teeth Cleaning

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Anyone have any suggestions on natural cleaners for teeth? Yes, I am aware of bones, and I've tried them but they make his teeth bleed a little. Is that even normal? I also get scared of him swallowing pieces?

His teeth are not the best, but they aren't horrible.... I have tried brushing, he'll let me... but its not the easiest.... I've been researching and came across powders you can put in food, stuff to put in water, and gels that help breakdown plaque.. but I am always scared of using products that contain who knows what in them.

I am going to try brushing with some coconut oil, just wanted to see if any members have had luck with anything else? and saw good results. I am NOT going to take him to be cleaned, because I do not want him put under :ashamed: Tyson is going to be 9 in Feb so he's not a spring chicken.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We use antlers and Nylabone Durabones, which are really tough. Frank will chew on them so much that sometimes his gums will bleed a little, but I think that is fairly normal when doing aggressive chewing. We haven't had any issues with pieces coming of the Durabones and we supervise him when he chews on his antler to monitor for any larger pieces he may gnaw off.

My sister in law's dogs have dental issues and they use a spray, Burt's Bees Dental spray, and they really are happy with that.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We use antlers and Nylabone Durabones, which are really tough. Frank will chew on them so much that sometimes his gums will bleed a little, but I think that is fairly normal when doing aggressive chewing. We haven't had any issues with pieces coming of the Durabones and we supervise him when he chews on his antler to monitor for any larger pieces he may gnaw off.

My sister in law's dogs have dental issues and they use a spray, Burt's Bees Dental spray, and they really are happy with that.

Thanks so much! That was one of my biggest fears - pieces coming off and then he swallows. I guess I'm scarred by that having to go through surgery. I appreciate both - I'll look em' up! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

we did the same with Banks... nylabones, antlers and marrow bones... she loved them and her teeth were in great shape - never an issue and she was a POWER chewer.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
we did the same with Banks... nylabones, antlers and marrow bones... she loved them and her teeth were in great shape - never an issue and she was a POWER chewer.

I'll have to do research, but I have no clue where to find antlers, marrow, etc. I wonder if they will help clean what is there already...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll have to do research, but I have no clue where to find antlers, marrow, etc. I wonder if they will help clean what is there already...

Antlers --- Acadia Antlers are great and ship fast. We have had a few that are still laying around 3 yrs later.

Marrow --- get them at the butcher shop, grocery store freezer --- do NOT cook them, give frozen

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Antlers --- Acadia Antlers are great and ship fast. We have had a few that are still laying around 3 yrs later.

Marrow --- get them at the butcher chopr, grocery store freezer --- do NOT cook them, give frozen

Ahh!! Life saver - I was literally just searching google, "where to buy antlers" haha oh the things that came up, I was looking at my computer sideways.Thank you!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jessica, I agree and totally understand your worries about being put under anesthetic for teeth cleaning, it worries me too, and since they need regular cleanings at least twice a month, it would require putting them under each time which would increase the possibility of complications. I do brush Dozer and Blossoms teeth, but I was very fortunate to find a groomer who scales and cleans teeth in her shop. She did a course for cleaning and scaling and I've had her clean their teeth twice and she did a really good job. I liked this because they got a more deep cleaning without any medication or anesthetic. Not all dogs will let someone brush or scale their teeth while being awake. I don't know if there are any groomers that provide this service in your area, but it is worth calling around and enquiring.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
If you want something faster, I've seen petsmart and petco carry antlers. I bought Ace's antler from Petsmart when he was a puppy, although, it is hard to find larger ones now that he is older. I need to try the suggested website mentioned above.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[MENTION=10815]AceTheBathound[/MENTION] Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=10815]AceTheBathound[/MENTION] Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Good post & education, thank you.

I lost my 1st bully, Brutus, in dental surgery.
He'd been neutered before I adopted him and had
blood work & labs before doing so and relatively
young (3-5), came out of surgery fine but 15 minutes
later was gone. His teeth were terrible and he did have
infection below gums. I found out, later, they gave him
antibiotic shots during surgery and researching later, it's
can contribute and/or cause heart failure. This was a bully
Vet that had owned bullies but I believe, not fully aware of
ALL issues to avoid. The Vet was devastated & did not charge
me for the surgery. Brutus was a fabulous boy, never appreciated
or loved until I got him. He'd had at least 3 previous owners before
me. The nurse I got him from, got him off Craigslist. The 7 months
we had together was a true gift from GOD...RIP beloved Brutus <3

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@AceTheBathound Thanks! So since this post we did buy antlers - they sell them where we buy his food. I also started brushing his teeth w/ some coconut oil daily. He lovesssss it & I already see a huge difference with both!!!

Good post & education, thank you.

I lost my 1st bully, Brutus, in dental surgery.
He'd been neutered before I adopted him and had
blood work & labs before doing so and relatively
young (3-5), came out of surgery fine but 15 minutes
later was gone. His teeth were terrible and he did have
infection below gums. I found out, later, they gave him
antibiotic shots during surgery and researching later, it's
can contribute and/or cause heart failure. This was a bully
Vet that had owned bullies but I believe, not fully aware of
ALL issues to avoid. The Vet was devastated & did not charge
me for the surgery. Brutus was a fabulous boy, never appreciated
or loved until I got him. He'd had at least 3 previous owners before
me. The nurse I got him from, got him off Craigslist. The 7 months
we had together was a true gift from GOD...RIP beloved Brutus <3

Oh Carol, I am so sorry about your beautiful boy Brutus. I am so terrified of just that. Tyson has been under twice. The first time, we too almost lost him. He went into respiratory attack after coming out of anesthesia. They told us to come say goodbye to him. The event shattered me to pieces, I've never prayed so hard, or had my heart so broken. By the grace of God, and an amazing ER vet, he survived, it took him a week incubated in an oxygen chamber. Since then I vowed to never put him under again unless his life depended on it. Then this past January happened, with him eating the socks. I cannot tell you the fear I had... its just indescribable.... I can't believe how well he pulled through surgery this second time. It was with another vet, who specializes in bulldogs. I can't stress how important that is on this forum - to have a vet who knows the breed. My heart breaks for you, and I know that Brutus is looking down & thanking his lucky stars for the beautiful time he had with you. Bless you for giving him such a wonderful life that he deserved while he was with you.

Tyson's teeth were starting to get plaque on the bottom towards the gumline. I should have taken pictures, but its hard enough to do anything teeth related in general with him! Anyway, when I saw that I panicked, and thats when I started looking for help. I read & researched, I tried sprays, he hated them and would run from me, I tried gel, he hated it. I didn't want to give him any of those powders, or anything bc honestly I'm not fond of things that aren't natural or good for him. That's when I sought out the antlers that @2BullyMama recommended. Let me just say, she has been so wonderful with me since I joined the forum. Then we all know the benefits of coconut oil, and I read that applying to the gums could help prevent gum disease, so one day I took his toothbrush and tried - he loved it. So now everyday I'll brush his teeth (the best i can) with it, and let him have his antler for a while. Since then I have noticed 80% or more of the plaque already gone. You can actually kinda see the shadow of where it was. He has just small amts left that I am still working on. He's never ever shown any signs of pain, or anything, eats just fine. I just don't want to ever be in the position where he needs to go under for his teeth... bc I would be the one to blame for not taking care of them. Hugs to you Carol - from me & Ty-Ty.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Carol, I am so sorry about your beautiful boy Brutus. I am so terrified of just that. Tyson has been under twice. The first time, we too almost lost him. He went into respiratory attack after coming out of anesthesia. They told us to come say goodbye to him. The event shattered me to pieces, I've never prayed so hard, or had my heart so broken. By the grace of God, and an amazing ER vet, he survived, it took him a week incubated in an oxygen chamber. Since then I vowed to never put him under again unless his life depended on it. Then this past January happened, with him eating the socks. I cannot tell you the fear I had... its just indescribable.... I can't believe how well he pulled through surgery this second time. It was with another vet, who specializes in bulldogs. I can't stress how important that is on this forum - to have a vet who knows the breed. My heart breaks for you, and I know that Brutus is looking down & thanking his lucky stars for the beautiful time he had with you. Bless you for giving him such a wonderful life that he deserved while he was with you.

Tyson's teeth were starting to get plaque on the bottom towards the gumline. I should have taken pictures, but its hard enough to do anything teeth related in general with him! Anyway, when I saw that I panicked, and thats when I started looking for help. I read & researched, I tried sprays, he hated them and would run from me, I tried gel, he hated it. I didn't want to give him any of those powders, or anything bc honestly I'm not fond of things that aren't natural or good for him. That's when I sought out the antlers that @2BullyMama recommended. Let me just say, she has been so wonderful with me since I joined the forum. Then we all know the benefits of coconut oil, and I read that applying to the gums could help prevent gum disease, so one day I took his toothbrush and tried - he loved it. So now everyday I'll brush his teeth (the best i can) with it, and let him have his antler for a while. Since then I have noticed 80% or more of the plaque already gone. You can actually kinda see the shadow of where it was. He has just small amts left that I am still working on. He's never ever shown any signs of pain, or anything, eats just fine. I just don't want to ever be in the position where he needs to go under for his teeth... bc I would be the one to blame for not taking care of them. Hugs to you Carol - from me & Ty-Ty.

Thank you, Jessica, for a very touching reply and like you, I'm paralyzed with
fear to put bullies under unless it's life or death. Brutus teeth were completely
green (he'd been very neglected), he seemed to be having problems, I feared
abscesses so had him examined, they found infection & recc'ded cleaning under
sedation, we did other blood work/labs that looked good but I thought & prayed
for a couple works before I took him in. I tell people for their Vets to keep their
bully IN the surgery room when they come to for a brief while WITH intubation
tube in just in case, that would save lives. I believe it might have saved Brutus
as they had just put him in the back room, checked on him, he was gone.

We packed so much love & life in those seven months :) The next year, my elderly
cat, CoCo joined him, so they're together again.That's them at the bottom of my page,
they loved each other so much. My 2nd adopted bully, Cami, fills my heart now.

Again, thank you :)

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you, Jessica, for a very touching reply and like you, I'm paralyzed with
fear to put bullies under unless it's life or death. Brutus teeth were completely
green (he'd been very neglected), he seemed to be having problems, I feared
abscesses so had him examined, they found infection & recc'ded cleaning under
sedation, we did other blood work/labs that looked good but I thought & prayed
for a couple works before I took him in. I tell people for their Vets to keep their
bully IN the surgery room when they come to for a brief while WITH intubation
tube in just in case, that would save lives. I believe it might have saved Brutus
as they had just put him in the back room, checked on him, he was gone.

We packed so much love & life in those seven months :) The next year, my elderly
cat, CoCo joined him, so they're together again.That's them at the bottom of my page,
they loved each other so much. My 2nd adopted bully, Cami, fills my heart now.

Again, thank you :)

You did what any good parent would, the best for your baby. I agree on the staying with them right as they wake, those are the most critical minutes. I look at your picture all the time on other posts, Brutus & Coco are just beautiful. I love that they are together :) Sweet babies, I swear I love animals more than people. ;)

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
Walley-Bubba has an antler.
I got it for him when he was a little pup.
But it disappeared which was actually a relief.
The antler was like a rock and I was worried his baby teeth may get damaged.
So now he's 2-1/2 and the other day, the antler re-appeared under a bookcase when Coit came to clean the carpets.
WB has been obsessed with it ever since.
He really goes at it.
But do NOT attempt to take it away.
I tried once and he roared at me like a tiger and almost bit me!
I know he didn't mean it, but I guess some hot laps for WB and me is called for.
Anyway, his teeth look perfect now.
Good thing since last time, the vet said he was developing a little plaque.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online