boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
I heard it had to do with the coloring of the food and if it is dark they get dark tear stains and light they don't get it as much.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I've tried all these things with Wheezies tear stains but no luck yet.We have a spring fed well and they get yogurt daily and ACV in their water. My vet actually said her brown staining could be the ACV.Who knows!!

adorabullmoose

Feb 15, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thanks for the info about the amount of greek yogurt. I opened a container for Moose (small), but was not sure about the amount to give him. I am using grain free food and grain free treats only. I am also using ACV in his water. I will go give him some yogurt now. Thanks for your post! You all are such a big help.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I should have updated. We had the original issue as I posted l. With nothing but a location switch we had bad tear stains all of the sudden. We talked to the vet and asked if we could switch from Benadryl to a bigger dosage common allergy pill that most humans take. The name escapes me but we only give him one a day (50mg) and that has really helped and he is back to pearly whites. I don't know if the two Benadryl tablets became ineffective but this works for us now.

Isabel and Jackson

Jul 5, 2012
Relocate around the US once a year for work.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Izzy
I have the same problem with mine, for Jackson he tears a lot more than normal because he had & currently has Entropion eyes. We had surgery when he was 2 years old to remove the extra skin but it's still apparent that his eyelids roll in just little bit. It's because of that cute nose rope of his! We possibly may do another surgery but we are dealing with allergies first to see if we can keep his eyes from swelling up. I make sure put Optixcare in his eyes every morning, it's a surgical lubricant for eyes that the veterinarian recommended. I wipe the stains with the same stuff I wipe his nose with (Miconahex+Triz) and make sure to keep any infections or bacteria away, dry it and that's it. There's nothing I can do about the color until we figure out what is causing his possible food allergies. I would hate to get other medications not meant to be in the eye anywhere near his eye & cause damage. Dogs have a way of rubbing crap in their eyes and faces... haha literally! You should have seen him while potty training, he managed to not cry in the middle of the night when he had to go #2 and just did it anyways - then he slept in his own stuff like it was a pillow or something... not a care in the world!! haha gotta love him

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I've tried all these things with Wheezies tear stains but no luck yet.We have a spring fed well and they get yogurt daily and ACV in their water. My vet actually said her brown staining could be the ACV.Who knows!!
Highly unlikely ACV caused the staining.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

Any other advice? Thinking we've done all we can.

I have been battling tear-stains almost since day one w/Bass and have tried everything. I am under the impression that he has environmental allergies and is possibly allergic to my cat. I have had his eyes checked by two vets, no issues there. When he turns 3 we will be doing the allergy testing just to have an idea of what the actual triggers are and pump up his immune system during season changes.
That said…TREATS: freeze dried liver treats are good, they are even recommended to help combat tear-stains (did not work for us, but did not add to the stains either and he LOVES them. Stewart is the brand and they are worth the price).
I have just accepted that my boy will most likely always be battling this and some months worse than others. He is on all the necessary pre-cautions (ACV, yogurt, filtered water system,organic/hard-pressed/extra virgin coconut oil ect.) Destine and vaseline are my best defenses. I am always reading up on "new" methods for tear-stains…if I come across a miracle cure I will most definitely post here. This has been a mission for me

sdefilippo

Jul 4, 2016
Upstate, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Juno, Lola (2012 - 2016)
Juno has tear stains too. I don't know how to fix it. I read it's caused by diet but she's on Fromm.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Juno has tear stains too. I don't know how to fix it. I read it's caused by diet but she's on Fromm.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Could be seasonal allergies too... Food - even though Fromm is exceptional-- doesn't mean is the right one. Lambeau is allergic to lamb so i can only use Pork n Peas for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.