2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

Any other advice? Thinking we've done all we can.

teething adds to the issue so i am trying not to worry about them till after that is all done

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

It took me a good 6 months to rid O of hers. Kudos for doing all that you have been.

We did the grain free Fromm and the yogurt only.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I've been using baby oil to remove the old stains on Henry's face. We took a vacation to see my son graduate Air Force basic and our older boy took care of Henry. He didn't get his face washed good and got table scraps for over a week. Now the stains are there, dark and solid. The Baby oil takes more of the gunk off than anything I've tried. Nothing perfect but an improvement. I use the oil then shampoo to wash it away or use wipes and witch hazel. If I can get the stain off I can keep it away. I'm sure the table food was the problem. What a hard chore to take care of. Good luck to everyone struggling!!

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
We have been dealing with this exact issue with Odin! Never a issue with tear stains, but we moved the end of January And have been battling then ever since, no other change. He always gets Brita filtered water, yogurt with his Fromms Lamb and Lentil, we use witch hazel in his folds, recently been trying the Burts Bees tear stain remover which has worked a bit but is like to know what caused them, same as you nothing different besides a move - my assumption is the different water but like I said we use a Brita filter always.

Tara Lewerth

Mar 11, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss
im pretty new to the bully mommyhood as well..but my boss is 6 months going into 7 months and I recently moved him over to adult food. the vet said because of his weight (45 pounds) that they treat him like an adult anyways...even though he wines like a one month old :)

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We have been dealing with this exact issue with Odin! Never a issue with tear stains, but we moved the end of January And have been battling then ever since, no other change. He always gets Brita filtered water, yogurt with his Fromms Lamb and Lentil, we use witch hazel in his folds, recently been trying the Burts Bees tear stain remover which has worked a bit but is like to know what caused them, same as you nothing different besides a move - my assumption is the different water but like I said we use a Brita filter always.

Yes that's us exactly us! I just switched him to surf and turf to see if that'll clear anything up. Got some grain free treats as well.

Last month + has been store bought filtered water by the gallon

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Another thing I just thought of. I was actually on cephalexin for her tail pocket infection. That is actually what helped clear things first and we've maintained with yogurt. I believe she originally had some sort of bacteria that was causing the stains.

Vcphillips

Mar 1, 2015
Country
Unted States
Bulldog(s) Names
Boudreaux
We tried to use apple cider vinegar for Boudreaux as well, It did absolutely nothing. Someone told us to try regular vinegar and within 3 weeks his tear stains had stopped and the old stain was getting better. We also use witch hazel to clean that area every day then put Butt Paste use Butt Paste in those wrinkles. We have been doing this now for almost 2 months and the old stains are barely noticeable.
We feed Wellness Core and add a TBSP Greek Yogurt to his food daily ( he gets fed 3 times a day 1 cup per feeding) as well as a tsp of Organic unrefined coconut oil during his morning feeding. We feed Wellness treats only. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
I have 3 bullies and had the same problem ,l was feeding Fromm but my guys got tired of it so I switched food and wow what a difference. No more tear stains. I live in Ontario Canada so I don't know if you can get this food there it is OVEN BAKED TRADITION CHICKEN it is a Holistic food. Absolutely no more tear stains. Good luck

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ive recently found out that filtered water will help. Theres something in tap water that causes the tear stains but filtered water doesn't.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Filtered water definitely helped our Frank with his tear stains. We finally got him on a food that agreed with him, but he had persistent tear stains. They improved so much after we switched him to filtered water versus tap (or non-filtered) water.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Filtered water definitely helped our Frank with his tear stains. We finally got him on a food that agreed with him, but he had persistent tear stains. They improved so much after we switched him to filtered water versus tap (or non-filtered) water.

Yes. We give Tyson only filtered water. We have a delivery service that brings the gallons every month :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Definitely got to try this then, at the moment I keep wiping so not to bad buy want to do something before it starts to stain

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.