Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I've posted about this earlier and things seemingly haven't gotten better. We moved in September/October and Winston was eating the same food he is now, Fromm Pork and Peas. We didn't move far, couple of miles across town. Once we moved, his tear stains started developing. We've now for the past few weeks have been drying his eyes and cleaning with witch hazel once a week. He's always had a cap full of ACV in his water. We've only really switched water, and we've always given tap water.
As mentioned in a different thread, we've went back to our old place (friends live in the same apt) and gotten a couple of gallons of that tap water. That didn't seem to change anything. Below is a list of things we have and tried.

-Witch Hazel
-Apple Cider Vinegar in water (cap full in each bowl of water)
-Excel tear stain remover pads
-Crystal Clear eye liquid

Anyone have this problem? Could this be a tear duct infection and is that prominent in bulldogs? How would we know that that is likely the problem? He's not in pain, so I would prefer not to go to the vet, unless we're almost certain that's it. Thanks in advance!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Winston?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
the more tearing, the more you will have (and notice) tear stains, especially in a white bully. Tate has this problem too and it's more prominent in his left eye which seems to tear more. I also put ACV in his diet (about a tablespoon twice a day in his food). When i switched him to 100% home cooking from kibble, the staining improved but then came back after a few mos. I just continue to keep dabbing at his eyes and clean his wrinkles regularly and it's still an ongoing issue with us.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422241622.886278.jpg

Winston will be two in April. It seems odd that it would happen during a move basically. Guess I could get a Brita filter and give him that to rule that out

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We went from this IMG_9533 ORion before.jpg

To this IMG_3155 dear santa 300dpi.jpg

Using this greek yogurt.jpg

We feed Fromm Beef Fritatta. Make sure that if you go with grain free all the treats you give are grain free too. Orion (we believe) is allergic to chicken.... so all her treats are either grain free, veggies and/or organic.

Our other bulldog had a rusty chin from dunking his chin into the water while drinking. All of our earlier photos show his chin dark and ruddy. Even the photo that is in this years calendar had to be photoshopped because his chin was so bad. Greek yogurt cleared that up too. We had tried all the stuff you listed without any success. Even had prescription shampoo that was supposed to target yeast.

Greek yogurt twice daily. We spoil ours and give 1/4 cup each meal at least.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Our other bulldog had a rusty chin from dunking his chin into the water while drinking. All of our earlier photos show his chin dark and ruddy. Even the photo that is in this years calendar had to be photoshopped because his chin was so bad. Greek yogurt cleared that up too. We had tried all the stuff you listed without any success. Even had prescription shampoo that was supposed to target yeast.

Greek yogurt twice daily. We spoil ours and give 1/4 cup each meal at least.

Wow. That's quite an improvement. I wonder what the yogurt does for them? Out of curiosity, how much do you feed them per meal? Winston only gets a 1 1/4 cups of food so a 1/4 cup of yogurt would be quite a bit.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have been having the same issue w/Wally… I have decided to go the filtered water route, along w/grain-free Fromm's, greek yogurt, grain-free treats, etc… And cleaning around his eye's/folds daily.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have been having the same issue w/Wally… I have decided to go the filtered water route, along w/grain-free Fromm's, greek yogurt, grain-free treats, etc… And cleaning around his eye's/folds daily.

Has this helped and how long does it take to see results?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Has this helped and how long does it take to see results?

I started the filtered water a week ago, so I will let you know.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Wow. That's quite an improvement. I wonder what the yogurt does for them? Out of curiosity, how much do you feed them per meal? Winston only gets a 1 1/4 cups of food so a 1/4 cup of yogurt would be quite a bit.

They get about 3/4 cup twice daily of kibble

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@Libra926 WOW - just Greek yoghurt? Castor is having yeast in his nose rope and folds and we use duoxo but adding yoghurt to his food seems like a much easier option. How long before you saw improvement?

amdeemer

May 16, 2014
Pennsylvania, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
We are having a similar problem with Archie. He had entropion in his left eye and just had surgery 3 weeks ago so his eye no longer tears, but the staining is still there. I have been using duoxo pads & some gold bond powder, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I will give the Greek yogurt a try, but was wondering, did the staining go away with just adding the yogurt or did you still have to treat the stain directly with something topical?

Kathnsb

Jun 14, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi, we have anew (5 month old) bully. We dealt with many issues with our last boy ,I thought I would start better this time. Does anyone recommend when to start moving from puppy food to a more adult mixture. Roscoe is 5 months and a bit over 25 lbs now. He seems to be doing ok on the chicken for now ,but our Bruce was allergic. Been 12 yrs since we had a puppy around . Any good advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi, we have anew (5 month old) bully. We dealt with many issues with our last boy ,I thought I would start better this time. Does anyone recommend when to start moving from puppy food to a more adult mixture. Roscoe is 5 months and a bit over 25 lbs now. He seems to be doing ok on the chicken for now ,but our Bruce was allergic. Been 12 yrs since we had a puppy around . Any good advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i feel your pain... my first pup in 9 yrs, UGH! anyway, chicken is fine until they show allergies, my girl was highly allergic so there was no chicken for my guys at all. Lambeau is currently on Fromm Puppy Gold and I plan to move him to Fromm Pork and Peas at around 8 months

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

Any other advice? Thinking we've done all we can.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.