Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tear Stain problem

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tear Stain problem

Hi, we have anew (5 month old) bully. We dealt with many issues with our last boy ,I thought I would start better this time. Does anyone recommend when to start moving from puppy food to a more adult mixture. Roscoe is 5 months and a bit over 25 lbs now. He seems to be doing ok on the chicken for now ,but our Bruce was allergic. Been 12 yrs since we had a puppy around . Any good advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kathnsb View Post
    Hi, we have anew (5 month old) bully. We dealt with many issues with our last boy ,I thought I would start better this time. Does anyone recommend when to start moving from puppy food to a more adult mixture. Roscoe is 5 months and a bit over 25 lbs now. He seems to be doing ok on the chicken for now ,but our Bruce was allergic. Been 12 yrs since we had a puppy around . Any good advice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i feel your pain... my first pup in 9 yrs, UGH! anyway, chicken is fine until they show allergies, my girl was highly allergic so there was no chicken for my guys at all. Lambeau is currently on Fromm Puppy Gold and I plan to move him to Fromm Pork and Peas at around 8 months
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

Any other advice? Thinking we've done all we can.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Caldy315 View Post
    So as an update we've been doing almost everything suggested for about a month now. We've gotten Costco yogurt which he gets a couple spoonfuls twice a day with his meals. We've also gotten drinking water, the kind where you fill up a gallon from the dispensing station at the grocery store. He's still on Fromm Pork and Peas but just ran out today and will likely get him something different this time. Thinking lamb and lentil. We wipe his eyes a couple of times daily and do witch hazel about once a week. ACV in the water as well. Tear stains haven't decreased really. Treats that we give are Charlie Bears and maybe there in lies the problem. We try to mix up with different treats, are there any specific treats you guys know of? Again it's odd because when we moved was when the tear stains came about

teething adds to the issue so i am trying not to worry about them till after that is all done
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It took me a good 6 months to rid O of hers. Kudos for doing all that you have been.

We did the grain free Fromm and the yogurt only.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
    Likes (Received)

I've been using baby oil to remove the old stains on Henry's face. We took a vacation to see my son graduate Air Force basic and our older boy took care of Henry. He didn't get his face washed good and got table scraps for over a week. Now the stains are there, dark and solid. The Baby oil takes more of the gunk off than anything I've tried. Nothing perfect but an improvement. I use the oil then shampoo to wash it away or use wipes and witch hazel. If I can get the stain off I can keep it away. I'm sure the table food was the problem. What a hard chore to take care of. Good luck to everyone struggling!!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Odin
    Likes (Received)

We have been dealing with this exact issue with Odin! Never a issue with tear stains, but we moved the end of January And have been battling then ever since, no other change. He always gets Brita filtered water, yogurt with his Fromms Lamb and Lentil, we use witch hazel in his folds, recently been trying the Burts Bees tear stain remover which has worked a bit but is like to know what caused them, same as you nothing different besides a move - my assumption is the different water but like I said we use a Brita filter always.

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boss
    Likes (Received)

im pretty new to the bully mommyhood as well..but my boss is 6 months going into 7 months and I recently moved him over to adult food. the vet said because of his weight (45 pounds) that they treat him like an adult anyways...even though he wines like a one month old

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    We have been dealing with this exact issue with Odin! Never a issue with tear stains, but we moved the end of January And have been battling then ever since, no other change. He always gets Brita filtered water, yogurt with his Fromms Lamb and Lentil, we use witch hazel in his folds, recently been trying the Burts Bees tear stain remover which has worked a bit but is like to know what caused them, same as you nothing different besides a move - my assumption is the different water but like I said we use a Brita filter always.
    Yes that's us exactly us! I just switched him to surf and turf to see if that'll clear anything up. Got some grain free treats as well.

Last month + has been store bought filtered water by the gallon

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Another thing I just thought of. I was actually on cephalexin for her tail pocket infection. That is actually what helped clear things first and we've maintained with yogurt. I believe she originally had some sort of bacteria that was causing the stains.

Country
    Unted States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boudreaux
    Likes (Received)

We tried to use apple cider vinegar for Boudreaux as well, It did absolutely nothing. Someone told us to try regular vinegar and within 3 weeks his tear stains had stopped and the old stain was getting better. We also use witch hazel to clean that area every day then put Butt Paste use Butt Paste in those wrinkles. We have been doing this now for almost 2 months and the old stains are barely noticeable.
    We feed Wellness Core and add a TBSP Greek Yogurt to his food daily ( he gets fed 3 times a day 1 cup per feeding) as well as a tsp of Organic unrefined coconut oil during his morning feeding. We feed Wellness treats only. Good luck!

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruce
    Likes (Received)

Can you give Greek Yoghurt to pups at 4 month old? Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads