minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
We've gotten our hygiene routine down pat in large part thanks to wonderful EBN members, but lately Buttercup's breath smells FOUL. Like rotting garbage. It may be because we have been adding water to her kibble given low intake on her part. Her teeth don't look decayed (and the vet said no cleaning needed 3 months ago), but realistically I haven't been able to clearly visualize all of her teeth. Vet said no Dentibone-type products as they contain the common allergen corn. We are working on getting some deer marrow bones (given beef allergy) but I would also like to brush her teeth.

I looked for a special toothbrush and found one by Petrosan but it got generally negative reviews. Not sure what to use for toothpaste as they seem to be chicken-flavored and she has so many allergies I would prefer a "clean" and of course non-toxic product. Could/should I use a little baking soda?

I tried brushing with a moistened child-sized brush and found it really difficult. I brushed a few of them as best I could. I have a hard time getting to them all from every angle and her dental anatomy seemed harder to figure out than I expected based on dogs I had in childhood. But the ones I did brush made the toothbrush smell icky, just like her rotten breath, so I know I need to try again and repeat.

I know marrow and antler bones are options, but I'd appreciate any toothbrushing tips as well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a delima for you... the allergies really make it tough. We have been very lucky as all our babies LOVE the marrow and antler bones which really kept their teeth in great shape

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
An acquaintance is getting us some deer marrow bones so I'm glad to hear they really help. I tried brushing again and had somewhat better success. Maybe she just needs to get used to it, like all her other grooming tasks. Her breath seemed to be better immediately after that second brush session.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I use diluted Apple cider vinegar. It takes the stink away nicely.

donna73

Jan 7, 2015
South Carolina
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Spartacus
Oh thank you for posting this ...I have tried brushing my little man's teeth but it just does not seem to help and his breath is KICKING ! I have had many dogs in my life time but I have never owned an English Bull so I am still in the learning stage (he's only 4 months old) it's not like he's had time for his teeth to go bad ...LOL I have never smelled a dogs breath that smells like his it's just awful it makes everything smell just like his breath and I am at my wits end about this situation . I bought the additive to put in his water for bad breath , I have brushed his teeth and nothing has worked .He LOVES to chew on rawhide ...Do you think that could be the problem? I was under the impression that chewing on hard things like that helped keep the teeth clean ...anyway how much vinegar do you put in the water ? I hope this helps my Spartacus the same way it helped your dog .

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
My chopper is 7months and won't let you touch his teeth just thinks your playing worried his teeth may become bad if I can't brush them will he let me in time maybe ?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
We use a round dog toothbrush! Like the bristles go all the way around. I found it in a random little pet store on vacation. It's easy because you can brush the top and bottom pretty much at the same time! And we use chicken flavored toothpaste, but the vet says toothpaste is unnecessary for dogs. We use it because it came with the toothbrush and Til likes it. Vet says the actual scrubbing old food off the teeth is what is helping so you can just wet the toothbrush and scrub away! :) Also, you're totally right, apparently "dog breath" is actually the smell of rotting teeth and gums! I've always brushed Matilda's teeth and her breath doesn't smell at all!

mcandelarios

Jun 15, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Do you dilute the Apple Cider Vinegar and simply let them drink it? What is the ratio you use to dilute it?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I realize this post is old, so input is not for original poster, but for anyone having similar issues/questions... the only product I have ever used on Bass for teeth brushing is Coconut Oil. He is only 21 months and I may regret posting this later as we have not had any teeth/breath issues - yet- and he is young...but coconut oil has really good ratings for fighting bacteria, odors and gum disease (in humans as well as dogs). I do not have an expensive brush, it's a very soft bristle, child sized tooth brush - and if you have trouble getting in the way back, a two dollar finger-brush would work. I only know this because of my research on oil-pulling and it made sense to use this when brushing my boy's teeth. I also give him a spoonful daily, he LOVES it. I buy the cold pressed organic CO, well worth it...save the money from the expensive tooth brushes and tooth pastes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.