HelBelle

Dec 21, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
Hi, I am new to the site and new to owning a bulldog. My little boy Chief is 7 months old now!
I have always cleaned his tail pocket and he has always been fine with it, he would usually just sit down and stick his tongue out like he was licking the air. However the last few days he hasn't wanted me to go near it. Even wiping his bum he isn't keen on but if I try and go up towards his tail anywhere he runs off and when I have tried to hold him still he has cried out and whined. I am worried that it has started hurting him. I am thinking of taking him to the vet but he doesn't appear to be in any discomfort any other time than when I try to go near it with a wipe. Any suggestions or experiences similar?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 141

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... I would have the vet check it. An infection can set in quickly and that would be no fun and more pain for both of you... Better to check the wait and it get worse.

good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor Chief, sounds like it may be sore in there or infected which will need some medicated cream to help heal. If he continues to refuse cleanings I would take him in just in case he's got a raw bum in there.

What do you use to clean it with regularly?

OP
H

HelBelle

Dec 21, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chief
Thanks for replying! I am hoping its just sore and not infected yet. I use wipes just for everyday. I aso have medicated powder and Vaseline for drying and putting on in case it is dry.
When he has a bath I get all in there with the shower head and shampoo then make sure it's fully dry after. All of which he hasn't previously minded. I have left it for a day or so just in case it was just a bit sore but I think I will get him booked in at the vet as soon as possible just to put my mind to rest if anything!

Thanks!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks for replying! I am hoping its just sore and not infected yet. I use wipes just for everyday. I aso have medicated powder and Vaseline for drying and putting on in case it is dry.
When he has a bath I get all in there with the shower head and shampoo then make sure it's fully dry after. All of which he hasn't previously minded. I have left it for a day or so just in case it was just a bit sore but I think I will get him booked in at the vet as soon as possible just to put my mind to rest if anything!

Thanks!

That's a good idea! those tail pockets can and do develop infections quite quickly (and they can be nasty). Hoping Chief will start feeling better soon! please keep us updated.

am23g23

Dec 27, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Perscilla
My bully Perscilla just came off of a tail pocket infection. She seemed uncomfortable and seemed bothered in that area so I could tell something was going on. I tried to clean around that area and she was not too keen on it at all. Couple things to take note of is a peculiar, rotten smell, redness, and discharge which could indicate an infection. My Perscilla got on a 7 day round of antibiotics and has been perfect ever since! My vet gave me some Hexa wipes, they are really good. They contain an antibacterial and antifungal which I wipe her tail pocket 1 to 2 times a day. Ask your vet about those wipes, they are usually about $20 for 50 wipes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.